Full year unit? (1 Viewer)

berry580

HSC
Hi,

what's a 'full-year unit'?

Is it units that is offered in both the first semester (i.e D1,E1) and second semester (i.e D2, E2) or ONLY units that is stated to be "Offered over the full year" (i.e D3,E3)?

Thank you.

X

xeuyrawp

berry580 said:
Hi,

what's a 'full-year unit'?

Is it units that is offered in both the first semester (i.e D1,E1) and second semester (i.e D2, E2) or ONLY units that is stated to be "Offered over the full year" (i.e D3,E3)?

Thank you.
nono,

D3 is summer school.

ECON999 taken FULL Year, would appear as TWO listings on the timetable:

1. ECON999 Y/1/D and
2. ECON999 Y/2/D

The reason why they list it twice is because the second semester might have different rooms/times.

ECON998, a ONE semester unit (both Sirst and Second), might run both semesters:

1. ECON998 F/1/D and
2. ECON998 S/2/D.

Last edited by a moderator:

berry580

HSC
Well, "STAT170: Introductory Statistics" for example, I see this:

When Offered:

D1 - Day; Offered in the first half-year
D2 - Day; Offered in the second half-year
D3 - Day; Offered over the full year
E1 - Evening; Offered in the first half-year
E2 - Evening; Offered in the second half-year
E3 - Evening; Offered over the full year
Summer Session - Offered in January-February as part of Summer School program.

X

xeuyrawp

berry580 said:
Well, "STAT170: Introductory Statistics" for example, I see this:

When Offered:

D1 - Day; Offered in the first half-year
D2 - Day; Offered in the second half-year
D3 - Day; Offered over the full year
E1 - Evening; Offered in the first half-year
E2 - Evening; Offered in the second half-year
E3 - Evening; Offered over the full year
Summer Session - Offered in January-February as part of Summer School program.
Yeah, ok, I thought you were talking about the timetable, which uses the
[length of unit] / [semester of timetable] / [day or evening] formula.

STAT170 is different because there is a full-year unit and a half-year unit. The full-year unit covers the material more slowly: essentially, D1, D2, E1, and E2 cover the SAME material as D3 and E3 in HALF the time.

If you're less strong in maths, the D/E3 unit would be better. If you want to get it over quickly and are more competent, go for the D/E1 or D/E2 unit. :)

They probably have the full-year unit because lots of non-mathy people would need to do STAT170 (wannabe psychologists), and since it's popular, they have it all year round.

Last edited by a moderator:

berry580

HSC
Meaning as long as the unit is offered in both semesters, it'll mean the unit is a 'full year unit' reguardless it's the same class or not.

So from experience, are there more people in full year classes or 1/2 year classes?

X

xeuyrawp

So from experience, are there more people in full year classes or 1/2 year classes?
Hmm, judging by the timetable (and hence previous years' popularity),

STAT170 F/1/D is about 25% more popular than S/2/D, which is about 75% more popular than Y/1&2/D. :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
berry580 said:
Meaning as long as the unit is offered in both semesters, it'll mean the unit is a 'full year unit' reguardless it's the same class or not.
:confused: did i read that wrong? you can have a unit that goes for one semester, offered in both semester 1 and semester 2 (it's not a full year unit). the ones that say '3' or full year are the only full year units

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
iambored said:
:confused: did i read that wrong? you can have a unit that goes for one semester, offered in both semester 1 and semester 2 (it's not a full year unit). the ones that say '3' or full year are the only full year units
No I read same as you. Full year units are ONLY subjects that take the whole year to finish - 1 unit over semester 1 and 2. They aren't all that common these days.

X

xeuyrawp

GoodToGo said:
No I read same as you. Full year units are ONLY subjects that take the whole year to finish - 1 unit over semester 1 and 2. They aren't all that common these days.
Yeah, like I said, STAT170 is probably only full-year because 1. it's so popular, and 2. it's necessary in degrees like psych.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)