Fullfee to HECS place (1 Viewer)

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
So I got 98.1, so obviously that won't be enough to qualify me for a HECS place in law. But my parents are offering to pay full-fee, and I wanna get some idea of things before I put that kind of financial burden on them.

Exactly how hard is it to apply after first year to go from fullfee to HECS place? I read up some info and they said usually a UAI of higher than 97 (so that's good for me), and a distinction average? Is that very hard to achieve? Or do-able but still gotta work real hard?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thankies!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
basically, as a full-fee -> HECS student, you're on the same terms as other transferee-wannabes.

therefore, you'll be competing against straight degree UNSW, law students wanting to transfer from UTS/MQ/UWS (and the occasional USyd person).

a D average would be good. a Cr-D (GPA 5.5) might just scrape in.

you're running the risk that, should you fail to transfer at the end of first year, you'll be paying 5 years of full-fee, which is roughly $100 thousand dollars. that's a hell lotta money. (i would rather spend it on a house. love pre-2005 HECS.)

alternatives to full-fee (in my opinion of desirability):
- combined law (HECS) at UTS/MQ/UWS, transfer to combined law (HECS) at UNSW after first year;
- straight degree (HECS) at UNSW (for example, doing straight Commerce for a year), then transfer to combined law after first year;
- complete first undergraduate degree, do graduate law later.

see this threadhttp://community.boredofstudies.org/330/transfers/ and herehttp://www.law.unsw.edu.au/Future_Students/undergraduate/admissions/A07.asp

Capitalist

HSC
$100,000 might sound like alot, but I guess those that undertake a private school education from year 7 (or even kindergarten), pay way more than that...

If the financial burden is not a big deal to your family, then I would suggest you enter either USYD or UNSW via full-fee, then transfer after one year, as you have suggested.

I can't vouch for the difficulty of other courses at UNSW, but at least for commerce, achieving a distinction average is not very hard if you're willing to put in some effort. If you're willing to put in alot of effort, that is, staying up to date with all the work, preparing good study notes, and studying hard before examinations, a high-distinction average GPA is achievable. Scoring a UAI of 98.1, I definitely think you have the required work ethic to achieve at least a distinction average...

sarevok

HSC
remember that if u do full-fee law for one year and successfuly transfer u are essentially paying a shitload more to study only two subjects (foundations and torts). transferring from a single degree is the much more economic route.

there's always graduate law as well if you don't make the transfer. it's only an extra year which saves you much $ and the entrance requirements for grad law arent that high at all...

p.s. my friend transferred into unsw law hecs place this year with a uai of 97.5 and a WAM of 72
so with your uai...if the nrsls remain similar (i think they were unusually low this year though)...i think you have a good chance

Last edited:

Lainee

HSC
If I was in your position, I would consider a straight degree at UNSW (preferably a degree that can be combined with law), attempt a transfer to combined law after the first year. There are several slight advantages to this:
1. Getting a D average in the first year of your straight degree may be slightly easier than getting a D average in the first year of a combined law degree (I find it much easier getting HDs and Ds in my commerce subjects, for example, than in my law subjects).
2. The worst that can happen is that if you do not achieve the required marks for a transfer. Still, you can still complete the first degree and then do graduate law. It's only 1 more year of uni, and in my books that's much better than having to shell out $100,000 when HECS kids are only paying a fraction of that.

The other option is of course to consider law at another university all together, and attempt a transfer. Could be an option, but does have its own set of pros and cons.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Lainee said:
The other option is of course to consider law at another university all together, and attempt a transfer. Could be an option, but does have its own set of pros and cons.
that is actually not as bad as it seems. if i wasn't successful in my transfer, i still think i would've done alright at UTShttp://www.law.uts.edu.au/. it's actually a pretty good law school.

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

I checked up on the whole transfer thing, and it seems that the entry requirement to transfer into law is also a minimum UAI of 97 and D-average from whichever institution or degree, which is exactly the same as DFEE to HECS. As Lainee pointed out, getting a distinction average in a straight degree is probably easier than with combine law in first year. However, I think I'll still put in equal amount of effort either way, so I think it would be easier if I just start with the degree that I really want.

Also it seems that you can attempt to move from DFEE to HECS every year for the duration of the degree, so I suppose I can keep trying to do that if I don't get it first year. No doubt it'll be harder as time goes on, but I would rather attempt that than fail to transfer first year from another uni.

Does that sound okay? x_x Or am I thinking this out of perspective.

Lainee

HSC
nickyroony said:
Also it seems that you can attempt to move from DFEE to HECS every year for the duration of the degree, so I suppose I can keep trying to do that if I don't get it first year. No doubt it'll be harder as time goes on, but I would rather attempt that than fail to transfer first year from another uni.

Does that sound okay? x_x Or am I thinking this out of perspective.
Oh right, I wasn't aware that you could keep trying to transfer from fee-paying to HECS every year. That does make it a more attractive option.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
nickyroony said:
i doubt it.

if one can move from full-fee to HECS places every year, more HECS places must be created (beyond those created for transferees). that's most likely not the case.

sarevok

HSC
Frigid said:
i doubt it.

if one can move from full-fee to HECS places every year, more HECS places must be created (beyond those created for transferees). that's most likely not the case.
i don't know whether u can do it at unsw, but u can do it at usyd

"Full-fee paying students may be able to transfer into a Commonwealth supported place. You can apply for a transfer place each and every year until your final year"

http://www.law.usyd.edu.au/fstudent/undergrad/apply_local.shtml

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
Yupyup just checked with the UNSW law booklet again, and it says you can.

Lainee

HSC
Frigid said:
i doubt it.

One can attempt to move from full-fee to HECS every year. :) Doesn't mean they will get in.

nickyroony - Keep in mind that beyond your first attempt to transfer after year 1, your further attempts at transfer will be infinitely harder. There will only be 1-2 places at best (when students drop out, take a year off etc.) after the first time you attempt to transfer. As you can see, some years there may be no vacant seats at all. The only good thing is that you'll only be competing against other full-fee students from your uni to get those transfer places - at least there will be less competition (though more limited places).

Be prepared to have to pay up to $100,000, and don't relax on the assumption that you can 'still try next year' is my advice. ;)

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
Thanks for your help and input everyone! I talked it through with my parents and really made sure with them that they're able/prepared to pay the whole way should I fail to transfer, and they're absolutely fine with it. Doesn't make me feel any better about putting financial burden on them, but they're very supportive of me so I guess I just gotta do my best and repay them later.

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
Plus 20% charge for FEE HELP would suck too x_x Luckily my parents are in a position where they can support me, so I don't think a loan would be necessary.

anyway guys thanks for all your help again. I'm leaving for Europe today and I'll be back in Feb. Hopefully I'll see some of you around on campus as a law student! =P

One last question and hopefully I'll see the answer before I leave. For UNSW you can accept offer/enrol online right? I checked out the website and you need to login, so I'm assuming in the offer via mail they will give you a login/password or something.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
nickyroony said:
One last question and hopefully I'll see the answer before I leave. For UNSW you can accept offer/enrol online right? I checked out the website and you need to login, so I'm assuming in the offer via mail they will give you a login/password or something.
umm.. you accept online... but i can't remember how to do it. you also need to set up your unipass, which is your login/password.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)