Fulltime or part-time (1 Viewer)

house_party

house_party
HSC
Jus wanted to know wat peoples views are on whether its better to get a full time accounting cadetship and study part time or finish ur degree full time then look for work :)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
i would prefer studying full time n then looking for work....well i guess it really depends on u...how much u can cope n stuff.... :)

house_party

house_party
HSC
Yea i agree cause the money u earn working as cadet can be made up really quick wen u work as a graduate anyway

stazi

Nightman
HSC
as a cadet, or intern, ure going to be treated like shit. they'll give you all this crap to take home. your grades will slip. you will have no life.

sarevok

HSC
Why spend the best years of your life working in an accounting firm? Full-time study is the way to go :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
1Time4thePpl said:
as a cadet, or intern, ure going to be treated like shit. they'll give you all this crap to take home. your grades will slip. you will have no life.
Yeah, a friend of my gf's is a cadet/trainee at PwC...she does the same work as a normal grad, except she's paid half as much. Good experience, but shit conditions (pay, long hours, uni at night)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
babee_blu_eyez said:
hey...i start as a cadet next yr! n minai
u r one!
Well, handle cadetship and you'll be able to handle anything, which is a major advantage.
And no, I'm a grad :)

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
When it comes down to it, I dont think whether you study full time or not makes much of a difference...like most of the partying or 'best times' are done on a friday & saturday night, and a cadet still has the friday & saturday night available, so really by no means is your life taken away. Money is not all that bad, keep in mind cadets are first year out of high school, so the money is pretty good in that regard. Its just a personal choice, you have to decide whether you have the attitude to study and work at the same time...in the end the cadet has the head start for the extra effort.

This is not a biased opinion by the way. :p

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Meads said:
When it comes down to it, I dont think whether you study full time or not makes much of a difference...like most of the partying or 'best times' are done on a friday & saturday night, and a cadet still has the friday & saturday night available, so really by no means is your life taken away. Money is not all that bad, keep in mind cadets are first year out of high school, so the money is pretty good in that regard. Its just a personal choice, you have to decide whether you have the attitude to study and work at the same time...in the end the cadet has the head start for the extra effort.

This is not a biased opinion by the way. :p
well, actually u will have to stay home on weekends most of the time. they give u all this extra work to do. Also, you'll need to be doing assignments, readings etc.
If during the regular week you're at work (day) and at uni (night) when are you meant to have time to do your study? The weekend.
So when are you meant to go out without it impacting on work/study? Never.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
well, actually u will have to stay home on weekends most of the time. they give u all this extra work to do. Also, you'll need to be doing assignments, readings etc.
If during the regular week you're at work (day) and at uni (night) when are you meant to have time to do your study? The weekend.
well I think you are making a rather large assumption that they will give us extra work to do on the w.e...I have heard nothing of the sort from anyone I have spoken to about cadetships. Nor has anyone even complained about a drastic workload. I am told my current cadets that they only need half a day on the w.e to do sufficient work and study for Uni. Uni is only two nights a week, that leaves 2 other weeknights. Besides, I think it is fair to say that getting super dooper grades is not as important to a cadet, they just have to maintain a DECENT average...I am sure credit is sufficient.
So when am I meant to go out without it impacting on work/study? Whenever I want.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Meads said:
well I think you are making a rather large assumption that they will give us extra work to do on the w.e...I have heard nothing of the sort from anyone I have spoken to about cadetships. Nor has anyone even complained about a drastic workload. I am told my current cadets that they only need half a day on the w.e to do sufficient work and study for Uni. Uni is only two nights a week, that leaves 2 other weeknights. Besides, I think it is fair to say that getting super dooper grades is not as important to a cadet, they just have to maintain a DECENT average...I am sure credit is sufficient.
So when am I meant to go out without it impacting on work/study? Whenever I want.
accounting is often task based.
and a credit average is, believe it or not, pretty difficult to get.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
ah ok, well that is fair enough...we just have differing opinions.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Meads said:
I am told my current cadets that they only need half a day on the w.e to do sufficient work and study for Uni. Uni is only two nights a week, that leaves 2 other weeknights. Besides, I think it is fair to say that getting super dooper grades is not as important to a cadet, they just have to maintain a DECENT average...I am sure credit is sufficient.
I guess it depends how good you are with your time. I don't do a cadetship but I work part-time (appx 20-25 hrs p/wk), do uni full time and go to the night time lecture stream for 1 subject . It's tiring and after working during the day, the last thing you want is to be staying at uni until 8pm. Weekends are spent catching up on uni work and going out every now and then.

And a credit avg is hard to get if you have a great dislike for a particular subject.

Anyway, that's just my opinion

Idyll

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
There's no need to scare any potential trainees. For first year commerce subjects (particularly the ones they'll be doing at the start, i.e. accounting 1a/1b, micro/maro in first year), a credit average isn't really that hard. A bit of consistent work over the semester and a credit is quite achievable. Any trainees should keep in mind they usually get a fair bit of paid study leave along with their annual leave (i think KPMG offers 5 weeks, which is plenty for 2 subjects).

Btw, I'm first year uni atm.

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
stazi said:

i hv no idea where u get the idea that they giv u work to take home to do for the weekend.....coz they dont

in my opinion, full time work and part time study is not for everyone, as said before, its a personal preference.

i hv been doing it for 4yrs now and i still hv a life, i go out on fri and sat nights, hang out and get shit-faced with my mates, i hv had a gf for the past 4yrs, hav done part time uni at nights and still not hv failed a subject in 4yrs of uni. and on top of that work 5 days a week.

it is hard but its not impossible to manage

the hard thing bout it is managing ur time with full time work, part time uni at nights, doing ur assignments and homework, studying for exams, going out with my friends drinkin on the weekends, and spending time with my gf.

the key to success in this is all bout time management.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh that's what they said in my job interview- that's the important thing, time management (and knowing how to prioritise your work/adapt to the situation).

I guess we'll wait and see how things go aye? My sister survived the cadet program (she's 25 now and working @ the same firm in London) and I can see the great benefits (and salary) she gets compared to if she had gone through normal uni and then applied for the job, then did CA. But it all depends what you are looking for, after all, just as the ICAA says, a cadetship is to 'accelerate your career'- if someone prefers to enjoy uni life and maintain a packed social schedule then maybe it isn't for them? A cadetship isn't the only way to get into accounting- I just saw it as an easier way since I doubt my uni marks will be that impressive, and the competition is a lot tougher for grad spots. Congrats to Minai for getting in to big4 though!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)