Futhermore... (1 Viewer)

Jaserius

Hey guys,

When drops of a strong acid, say sulfuric acid are added to a solution every 5 seconds, howcome the Ph drops after the first drop, and then stays down and doesnt change.

I thought that as more and more drops of sulfuric acid were added, the ph would keep decreasing, as the hydrogen ion concentration would keep increasing...

However, I know I am wrong, because I got a multiple choice quesiton based on this principle wrong...

please help me understand,

thanks,
Jason.

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
hmm, would you plz post up the original question?

I think that might be a buffer solution as first drop results in great decrease in pH but then it'll actually goes up (slightly lower than initial pH)

Jaserius

Sure, its just that it has graphs as the answers, which I cant really draw or anything so ill describe them instead.

A beaker of water has a pH of 7. When drops of sulfuric acid are added the pH changes. Which graph most accurately shows the pH of the solution as sulfuric acid is added to water?

[in all the graphs pH is the vertical axis, and drops added is horizontal]

A. A straight diagonal line eventually reaching pH 0.
B. Looks like a hyperbola, going down initially and then staying down (might rise very slightly) [Correct Answer]
C. A horizontal line for a while which then drops very suddenly and reaches 0.
D. A wavy line which stays horizontal, goes down, then stays horizontal, then goes down to pH 0.

Hmmm.

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
Jaserius said:
Sure, its just that it has graphs as the answers, which I cant really draw or anything so ill describe them instead.

A beaker of water has a pH of 7. When drops of sulfuric acid are added the pH changes. Which graph most accurately shows the pH of the solution as sulfuric acid is added to water?

[in all the graphs pH is the vertical axis, and drops added is horizontal]

A. A straight diagonal line eventually reaching pH 0.
B. Looks like a hyperbola, going down initially and then staying down (might rise very slightly) [Correct Answer]
C. A horizontal line for a while which then drops very suddenly and reaches 0.
D. A wavy line which stays horizontal, goes down, then stays horizontal, then goes down to pH 0.

Hmmm.
I'd say it is B too. coz pH=-log[H+] just use your simple maths knowledge, you will get a logrighmic funtion(y=-logx, as x-->1-, y-->0)- and the it does look like a branch of a hyperbola altho not exactly(In fact, after u add something like 1L of 10M sulfuric acid, teh graph will keep going down to negative...
Hope this helps
:uhhuh:

Last edited:

KungPow

HSC
Well think about it for a second there. Say the pH of Sulfuric acid is 2 and your water is 7. If you keep adding sulfuric acid, the pH will keep dropping, but will it go lower than 2?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
yes, but the pH of sulfuric acid can go well beyond 2...

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Okay, if you have a solution of sulfuric acid that is at a pH of 2 and you add that, then the water solution will never go below 2 (you're adding an equivalent amount of water). Pure sulfuric acid has a theoretical pH below -1.. keep adding this and it'll go closer to that value.

(Yeah, the rising bit at the end is a big mistake.)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
18M sulfuric acid should already have a pH of less than -1... and much to my surprize, they actually allow first yr'er to handle it ... =p

richz

lol, our teacher let us use 18M H2SO4 last week when we were doing a reflux

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
xrtzx said:
lol, our teacher let us use 18M H2SO4 last week when we were doing a reflux
o_O

very unorthodox... u guys must be highly disciplined...
the worst we gotta use is 4M HCl...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)