• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

future challenges for australia (1 Viewer)

michyeo

HSC
helo :)
so my class isn't even halfway through the "future challenges for australia" part of geography, gg.

i just wanted to ask what exactly do you need to study for that part?
is it population trends AND urbanisation or do you just choose one of them? (or do they kinda fit with each other..?)
same thing with the other stuff: is it human rights OR reconciliation? or is it both of them? :S

also, for the global links, do you need a specific case study? or is it just in general?

thankyouthankyouthankyou :)

+ is there a lot of things associated with ecological sustainability? :/

mastistar

HSC
The future Challenges of
Australia include the aging population where more thna 25% of the current population will be old by the year i think 2020.

The future challenges may also consist of our contribution to stop climate change from drastically taking place thus our carbon reduction schemes are an another future challenge.

One more you can include it the asylum seekers and what we are to do with them...I know this isnt really in the syllabus but it is a future challenge and i think u can get marks if u link this to something else.

----

the global links include....

Australia's involvement in the UN and its respective branches..such as UNESCO , WHO , FOA. Where Australia in conjunction with the UN sends Aid and other assistance to neighboring countries mainly in our region. Our global links can also be accounted for the many various treaties and decelerations Australia has signed to help with its bored security and trade. Such as Anzus , Seato and ASEAN.

my question: Whats reconciliation again...I keep forgetting..lost 5 marks caz this or i wouda got 98% in my trails >.>.

firstneg

HSC
Ecological sustainability is a part of Future challenges for Australia within the topic of population. As well as population, we have also looked at Human rights and reconciliation, although we have only touched on this topic because the teacher believes that we have looked at in in History, which we have not.

For Regional and Global links you need a general idea of the locality of Nations in the Asia Pacific and in class you would have specifically looked at one aspect of our links out of Aid, Sport, Migration, Trade and defense. This is all i can recall.

firstneg

HSC
The future Challenges of
Australia include the aging population where more thna 25% of the current population will be old by the year i think 2020.

The future challenges may also consist of our contribution to stop climate change from drastically taking place thus our carbon reduction schemes are an another future challenge.

One more you can include it the asylum seekers and what we are to do with them...I know this isnt really in the syllabus but it is a future challenge and i think u can get marks if u link this to something else.

----

the global links include....

Australia's involvement in the UN and its respective branches..such as UNESCO , WHO , FOA. Where Australia in conjunction with the UN sends Aid and other assistance to neighboring countries mainly in our region. Our global links can also be accounted for the many various treaties and decelerations Australia has signed to help with its bored security and trade. Such as Anzus , Seato and ASEAN.

my question: Whats reconciliation again...I keep forgetting..lost 5 marks caz this or i wouda got 98% in my trails >.>.
Reconciliation is when people come to terms with the injustices of the past to live together in harmony.
So we as Australians focus on what is happening with the Aboriginals. Examples include Sorry Day. Remembering what it is will easily allow you to ramble if needs be.

You can tie asylum seekers into two aspects of problems facing Australia, Human Rights and Population. If you simply state it is a problem and think that you are going to get an extra mark is wishful thinking and honestly a waste of ink.

michyeo

HSC
hmm, is urban planning a part of population? or is it a different thing altogether?

and with the global links, i'm most likely doing aid. and we had this assignment where we had to find specific articles to do with aid, defence, etc. so i was wondering whether i'm supposed to include the specifics into my response for SC?

firstneg

HSC
hmm, is urban planning a part of population? or is it a different thing altogether?

and with the global links, i'm most likely doing aid. and we had this assignment where we had to find specific articles to do with aid, defence, etc. so i was wondering whether i'm supposed to include the specifics into my response for SC?
Yes urban planning is part of the population

For aid you need to differentiate between bilateral and multilateral treaties, understand the government agency of AusAID and the contribution figure of $3bn each year. I am relying on knowing two case studies for aid, these being Cambodia as i have been there and also PNG as it is a good example of a bilateral agreement and the negative aspect of aid,in that 80% of their budget is comprised of Australian contribution.
Also you need to know about tied aid and the type of projects involved such as infrastructure and education.

sorry for rambling lol

If you need anymore help on aid I'm willing to surrender my yearly extended response on it.

Chicobo

HSC
My geography teacher gave my class a copy of the syllabus and it includes what we should know in the SC.

For Future Challenges, we need to know:

- Current and future population trends:
- Growth rates, age structure and spatial distribution (You can go to the Bureau of Statistics website to get a recent population pyramid I think)
- Government population policies to manage population growth (Like the Baby Bonus)

- Implications of population trends:
- Ecological sustainability
- Population movement and urban planning (Learn geographical terms such as urban consolidation, urban renewal, gentrification, decentralization.. etc)

Last edited:

HSC
Uni Grad
helo :)
so my class isn't even halfway through the "future challenges for australia" part of geography, gg.

i just wanted to ask what exactly do you need to study for that part?
is it population trends AND urbanisation or do you just choose one of them? (or do they kinda fit with each other..?)
same thing with the other stuff: is it human rights OR reconciliation? or is it both of them? :S

also, for the global links, do you need a specific case study? or is it just in general?

thankyouthankyouthankyou :)

+ is there a lot of things associated with ecological sustainability? :/
WASSUP MICHELLE xD

Uhh, well for the global links, with a 5 mark question, it's gonna be general, but on a 15 mark question, it's either gonna be a case study or in depth, like giving reasons and justifying your answer...

Both human rights and reconciliation.

Population trends and urbanization will fit with each other, but it would be categorized as urban growth and decline.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)