Future Commerce Student needs a bit of your help (1 Viewer)

lolz

HSC
N/A
Hello

A note to anyone who can help me, don't worry about posting anything after Wednesday, I'm going overseas and wont have access to the internet at all until Jan 21st.

I'm having trouble choosing a Commerce course right now. UNSW sent me an email about my guaranteed entry into Commerce (international). The funny thing is that I had no idea what it involved, and only put it as one of my preferences, since I needed to confirm my UAC preferences.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the prospect of having to choose a course that might determine my future, but I do have something in mind. I want to work at an (innovative) comapny that values teamwork.

I've been snatched up by the whole wave of thinking that a combined commerce degree is the best way to go for prospective commerce students.

So for any current students out there who can lend me a hand, I've listed below a number of combined degrees which I initially wanted to do, and how I believe it won't work out for me.

It would be brilliant for some of you to use your experiences to help me out, and counter any flaws in my assumptions.

Comm/Arts, the main problem I have with this is 'You must complete at least 16 courses (96 UOC) for commerce and 16 courses (96 UOC) for arts'. I would think that students here would be learning less commerce as compared to other degrees? Or is it just a way for UNSW to get students more exposure to the art side?

Comm/Info Systems, read a post here that stressed the need to enjoy IS, I had an interest in it, but I don't think I'll be exactly enjoying it

Comm/Eco, saw a post where someone claimed it was a waste of time, I also have an innate fear of Eco, from doing well in it in prelims, then failing horribly in the HSC

COmm/Sci (adv maths), I'm not exactly the best math student, though I was able to increase my marks thoughout the HSC year for 2u and 3u maths by doing a lot of past papers, uni just seems different

Comm/Actuary, same problem as the above, but I don't see myself in the occupation

And finally, straight Commerce and then transfer after a year? I really wanted to be able to set in a firm certain decision before I leave Australia, so my mind would be a little lighter during the trip.

Thank you in advance!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well if you're not a maths student, why are you even considering it?

I feel you haven't done research into what the degrees actually entail - and the differences between them. Do that and you can answer a lot of your own questions.

mreditor16

HSC
Don't think I have insights to offer but bump!!

Kolmias

HSC
How did you manage to get into UNSW Commerce if you stuffed up your HSC Economics exam?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
How did you manage to get into UNSW Commerce if you stuffed up your HSC Economics exam?
maybe he did 12 units and the 2 units of economics didn't count or something

itoki2288

HSC
N/A
I would say Comm / Arts is a really good choice. You get just as much exposure to commerce because the degree is a year longer and you can do something interesting like learn a language on the way.

However, you might want to think about what you really want to do in University, not just what gives you good job prospects in the future. It's because if you do a degree which you don't particularly resonate with, your grades will never be as good as with a degree that you really work with.

I would say entry into an innovative firm which values teamwork is possible through a variety of degrees, not just Commerce related ones.

LandCo

HSC
N/A
Comm/eco is pre much useless... could do comm, double majroing in in eco & something else.

eco in uni is NOTHING like hs.

(currently studying eco)

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm on Commerce/Media and I have enjoyed it a lot !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)