Future prospects for Australian Law students and graduates? (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Good thing about a law degree is that you can branch off into other professions (If you have done a double, If not, you are deep in the stink...)

It's always ideal to have do a double so you have something to fall back on as a plan B... or take the back road with a non law degree and JD (or grad entry LLB)...
Law is a vocational degree. For people who did law hoping to become a lawyer and missed out, it's a waste, and for people who did it because they could, it's a waste. It's like doing a psychology degree and not practising. There aren't many options for law graduates to use their degrees outside deadshit administrative jobs in the public service. In many ways, a law degree is a liability because recruiters assume that you'll:

A) Jump ship when a real legal job comes along
B) That your salary expectations will be too high

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Law is a vocational degree. For people who did law hoping to become a lawyer and missed out, it's a waste, and for people who did it because they could, it's a waste. It's like doing a psychology degree and not practising. There aren't many options for law graduates to use their degrees outside deadshit administrative jobs in the public service. In many ways, a law degree is a liability because recruiters assume that you'll:

I don't know which particular field you're talking about - but please spend some time looking at MBB or other MCs in Aus (e.g. NOUS group) and IBs etc and have a looked at their grads. A large proportion are comm law kids. It's also the comm/law kids that they make an exception for and offer penultimate year internships in 3rd or 2nd year (you have to be solid though). So there is a preference for these grads in the field (unless wam is like 54). That's how universities market the law degree now as well - they realise not too many people want to get into the legal sector.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Ha, they make an exception for comm/law kids to do internships? Gee get your head out of that rock.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Branch off into other professions? Like being am academic?
I'm actually doing a law degree because it is a shit load better than a Arts degree... In my view, it puts you on the front foot when applying for a policy analyst position when comparing it to an Arts degree in public policy...

It's much easier to be cynical with the world than to actually do something constructive...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I don't know which particular field you're talking about - but please spend some time looking at MBB or other MCs in Aus (e.g. NOUS group) and IBs etc and have a looked at their grads. A large proportion are comm law kids. It's also the comm/law kids that they make an exception for and offer penultimate year internships in 3rd or 2nd year (you have to be solid though). So there is a preference for these grads in the field (unless wam is like 54). That's how universities market the law degree now as well - they realise not too many people want to get into the legal sector.
> Implying that the law part of comm/law for grads at IB's isn't incidental.

I agree that MC jobs are a good OP, they're the better end of administration work, but realistically, they aren't going to make up for the shortfall when you think about how many law graduates are being pumped out annually. Graduates who miss out on practising, largely, are going to need to rely on their other degree or look at administrative jobs in the public service.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm actually doing a law degree because it is a shit load better than a Arts degree... In my view, it puts you on the front foot when applying for a policy analyst position when comparing it to an Arts degree in public policy...
Yes, the country needs more brighter people in public policy, rather than Arts tree huggers who find the real world too tough. Good on you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)