FUTURE STUDENTS of 08 (1 Viewer)

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Ack, I got a disappointing 93.80, due to a shattering English scaled (and study) score that fell below the scaled scores of the rest of my subjects. Damned VCE-system-of-including-English-in-the-primary-four! :( So I might not get into the Arts/Laws degree that I wanted to get into. And I won't get any extra points for doing well in English, namely because I didn't do well in English.
Like a lot of you here, I'm sweating over the UniTest on Monday. I tried the sample test and got around 70%. I found some of the questions vague, though. I hope it's something like the UMAT, because I scored reasonably well in that.
Someone here said that UniTest doesn't carry for combined degrees, or something like that? Is that absolutely certain? Because that means I'll only be able to try for a Laws degree. I'll definitely get into an Arts degree, but my parents won't pay for my accommodation just for that. Is there anyway to pay off accommodation using HECs-like loans?
If I miss everything that I put down (all my nine preferences are for ANU) and end up with Arts, then I'll try to transfer into Law. Is it hard to transfer into an Arts/Laws degree? What requirements must be met before one can transfer into an Arts/Laws degree?
I really do hope I'll get into ANU, but ever since my results have came out, things have been rather hazy and uncertain.
If I get into ANU, I'll make sure that on O-week, I'll lose my virginity to beer-bingeing as an act of gratitude.
And the 80s is the theme? What exactly happened in the 80s? :O
By the way, does anyone here teach the piano/guitar, or are in a garage band of some sort?

Last edited:

Metric

HSC
N/A
Schmeag said:
Someone here said that UniTest doesn't carry for combined degrees, or something like that? Is that absolutely certain?
I've heard this before, but nothing on the ANU website says this is so (nothing I can find, anyway). I think it would be rather stupid for them to restrict it to only single degrees, especially in the context of you being forced to do a straight instead of combined law.
Schmeag said:
Is it hard to transfer into an Arts/Laws degree? What requirements must be met before one can transfer into an Arts/Laws degree?
There is no concrete information regarding this, but from anecdotal evidence I would say a high credit average, at least. A distinction average would almost certainly secure you a transfer.
Schmeag said:
And the 80s is the theme? What exactly happened in the 80s?
2008 will be the last year that any ANU's first year students will have been born in the 1980s (at least that is the reason according to Facebook!).
Schmeag said:
By the way, does anyone here teach the piano/guitar, or are in a garage band of some sort?
I teach electic guitar.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
2008 will be the last year that any ANU's first year students will have been born in the 1980s (at least that is the reason according to Facebook!).
Ah, if only I could remember it, lol. I may need to consult the parents on this one...
I teach electic guitar.
Cool, what's your rate/lesson or rate/hour?

unco_wannabe

HSC
Schmeag said:
Ack, I got a disappointing 93.80, due to a shattering English scaled (and study) score that fell below the scaled scores of the rest of my subjects. Damned VCE-system-of-including-English-in-the-primary-four! :( So I might not get into the Arts/Laws degree that I wanted to get into. And I won't get any extra points for doing well in English, namely because I didn't do well in English.
Like a lot of you here, I'm sweating over the UniTest on Monday. I tried the sample test and got around 70%. I found some of the questions vague, though. I hope it's something like the UMAT, because I scored reasonably well in that.
Someone here said that UniTest doesn't carry for combined degrees, or something like that? Is that absolutely certain? Because that means I'll only be able to try for a Laws degree. I'll definitely get into an Arts degree, but my parents won't pay for my accommodation just for that. Is there anyway to pay off accommodation using HECs-like loans?
If I miss everything that I put down (all my nine preferences are for ANU) and end up with Arts, then I'll try to transfer into Law. Is it hard to transfer into an Arts/Laws degree? What requirements must be met before one can transfer into an Arts/Laws degree?
I really do hope I'll get into ANU, but ever since my results have came out, things have been rather hazy and uncertain.
If I get into ANU, I'll make sure that on O-week, I'll lose my virginity to beer-bingeing as an act of gratitude.
And the 80s is the theme? What exactly happened in the 80s? :O

gday schmeag..im doin the test on monday to...fcuk..accom is a bitch down at cann.

okay i got answers to some of your queries
"I hope it's something like the UMAT, because I scored reasonably well in that. "
its sort-of similar to umat but without the empathy bit..apparently a friend of mine did it for maq uni and said 'its shit easy"
some of the questions however can be pretty gay

"Someone here said that UniTest doesn't carry for combined degrees, or something like that? Is that absolutely certain?"
okay your hoping for the 5 points extra.so what has to happen is u need to be in the top 20 % of the people doin the exam. now once u get those 5 points you CAN do double degrees etc ..anything except for PhB philosophy.
if u read ur confirmation email its got it in that (you got one right?)

arts degree - in the even that u dont do as well as you thought on monday and u dont get those 5 points u need. so you wanna do arts? ummm well i think wouldnt it be better..to go to a really kickarse uni with a really high uai for arts in melb (im assuming ur from melb) and then kill that - as u were planning on killing it in ANU- then apply for a transfer - i know some people say its harder to transfer from uni to uni rather than faculty to faculty,...but since ur not way off u like 2 uai points off a law double. i think they would have a look at that and take that into consideration. cause they take ur hsc score and ur arts semester mark as well.

btw what arts you planning on doin?

hope that answers ur questions.

ill be at the exam on monday ...
maybe ill see u there?

Metric

HSC
N/A
Schmeag said:
what's your rate/lesson or rate/hour?
I sent you a PM.
unco_wannabe said:
accom is a bitch down at cann.
Really? I know that ANU is one of the few universities that actually guarantees accomodation for its first years.
unco_wannabe said:
i think wouldnt it be better..to go to a really kickarse uni with a really high uai for arts in melb (im assuming ur from melb)
I agree. If you are from Melbourne (or anywhere else that isn't Canberra) then you might want to stay there and go to a local university if you miss out on Arts/Law at ANU, and then try for a transfer after first year. Unless of course you actually want to go to ANU, as opposed to wanting to go to ANU for Arts/Law (ie. if you miss out on a transfer and are stuck with a BA, would you rather have a BA from ANU or from another university?).

Evilo

HSC
Antioch said:
Really? I know that ANU is one of the few universities that actually guarantees accomodation for its first years.
Correct Antioch. Unco_wannabe - getting a share house might be a challenge though. I think thats what you might have heard/read?

Evilo

HSC
Schmeag said:
Oh i hope so lol. i wrote far too much about anu and johns for you not to come here lolz
good luck tomorrow, kick some butt.

unco_wannabe

HSC
hey Evilo i was referring to find Accom for the UNiTest..other than that everything else in canberra is good

ummm im at can atm ....exams 2moro....

ill be wearin a teal polo with jean shorts...if anyone see's me give us a shout out :)
oh curly fro :p too

ummm goodluck to everyone doing the exam 2moro !
cheers

Evilo

HSC
oh fair enough mate, yeah i spose that would be a little challenge - i think it would be easier if you can drive. but yeah, hope you've got something now lol

Good luck mate, kick butt too.

Evilo

HSC
Schmeag said:
Ah, if only I could remember it, lol. I may need to consult the parents on this one...
It was ok, nothing to be excited about.

Actually reminds me about when my bro said "oh im so jealous of you! you got to experience the drug crazy hippy 80s". I'm like "umm i was only 2 at the time" :p

Evilo

HSC
Its unlike me to advertise bruce, but here we go.
Bruce Residents Association said:
As 2008 hots up and the Uni year is ready to commence, the biggest and funnest week of the year will be kicking off in Bruce Hall. Our theme this year will be 'Not Another Teen O-Week', and we'll be doing all we can to make sure you feel you wake up on the 16th of February believing you have suddenly morphed into Ferris Bueller...or Jennifer Love Hewitt...or maybe the guy from Dawson's Creek? Maybe not.
On Sunday the 17th we'll have a mega Scav Hunt and we'll need later years to help lead our first years astray as they bravely venture across campus in search of the ellsuive holy grail....
On Tuesday the 19th your services will be required as we jump aboard a boat and headlong into everyone's favourite evening - the later year cruise.
Then it's time to forget our clothes, don a bedsheet and disregard scrap of moral fibre we may have once clung to for Burgmann Toga. This will be followed by a lazy day in the Quad, and a night in for a teen movie or two (10 Things I Hate About Hangovers, anyone?)
Friday we'll be dancing up a storm in south quad for Band in the Quad, followed by a nice little trip to Bateman's Bay for some sun and sand on Saturday.
Saturday night and it's time for some Chinese Beer and mahjong as we celebrate Chinese New Year.
And by Sunday, you'll all be so buggered that all you will feel like doing is sitting back and watching a bit of backyard cricket as our boys take on the ex-ressies.
Enjoy bruce residents.
I'll get the other halls when information comes to hand.

exospacial

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
Friday we'll be dancing up a storm in south quad for Band in the Quad, followed by a nice little trip to Bateman's Bay for some sun and sand on Saturday.
Darn...can't go on Saturday, my skin is very sensitive to the sun. Everything else seems alright though.

Evilo

HSC
cool, should be a good week for you guys.
Ive emailed johns president to find out whats on for the johns boys :)
Ill know the ursies one too in due course...

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Hey Evilo, how much of the very helpful schedule you posted earlier do you think is going to be strictly >18?

The very helpful schedule thing:

------Monday 18th February:

-9.00am – 4pm: ANUSA O-Week Launch (Union Court)
-4.30pm - 6.00pm: ANUSA Office Warming Party (ANUSA Office)
-7pm – Late: Bright & Tight Big Night Out (Starts at ANU Bar)

------Tuesday 19th February:

-11am - 2pm: Carni Day! (Fellows Oval)
-6.30 - 8pm: Politics in the Pub (ANU Bar)
-8.30pm – Late: Rubix Cube Party, Run by the ANU Snowsports Club (Venue TBA)

------Wednesday 20th February:

-10am – 4pm: Market Day (Union Court, University Avenue)
-6.30pm – 8.30: Pre Toga Party (Venue TBA)
-8.30pm – Late: Annual Toga Party (Burgmann College)

------Thursday 21st February:

-9.30am – 11.00am: Recovery Breakfast (Venue TBA)
-11am - 1pm: Speed Dating (Venue TBA)
-1pm – 5pm: Fluro Fun Beer Garden (ANU Bar Beer Garden)
-2.30pm – 3.30pm: Jazzy Happy Hour (Music School Piazza)
-7.00pm – Late: ANU Band Night (ANU Refecory)

------Friday 22nd February:

-10.00am – 11.30am: 2008 Retro Run (Starts at Union Court)
-11.30am – 1pm: Recovery Breakfast (Venue TBA)
-1.30pm – 3pm: ANUSA Womens’ Department Barefoot Bowls (Braddon Bowls Club)
-7pm – 12am: Mooseheads ANU Ball (ANU Refectory)
-12am – Late: ANU Ball After-Party (Mooseheads)

So there you have it kids. Get involved in O-Week 08, because there may never be one like it!
On the sly, any way of getting around the whole age thing? /not a probe for fake IDs if there ever was one

Evilo

HSC
I am here! said:
Hey Evilo, how much of the very helpful schedule you posted earlier do you think is going to be strictly >18?

Umm i dont know for sure, but some will be. For example, you won't be able to get into mooseheads without ID. As far as i understand you would be able to get into the anu beer garden, but not the anu pub (well under nsw laws anyway you would). Monday and Tuesday nights you probably won't be able to get into because i think they are bar crawls (but dont quote me on that), Wednesday you will be able to get in. If you're at a hall they will have both under 18 and over 18 events - so dont think that the above will be your schedule. The halls mix and match from the above.

I am here! said:
On the sly, any way of getting around the whole age thing? /not a probe for fake IDs if there ever was one
hmmm many places just wont check, i spose the main thing they rely on is an <18 persons won't risk it by buying a $25-50 ticket cos they "could" get rejected at the door. I cant really say much more than that tbh. Except my <18 friends had absolute awesome parties when their time came around - probably made up for o-week lol.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
Umm i dont know for sure, but some will be. For example, you won't be able to get into mooseheads without ID. As far as i understand you would be able to get into the anu beer garden, but not the anu pub (well under nsw laws anyway you would). Monday and Tuesday nights you probably won't be able to get into because i think they are bar crawls (but dont quote me on that), Wednesday you will be able to get in. If you're at a hall they will have both under 18 and over 18 events - so dont think that the above will be your schedule. The halls mix and match from the above.

hmmm many places just wont check, i spose the main thing they rely on is an <18 persons won't risk it by buying a $25-50 ticket cos they "could" get rejected at the door. I cant really say much more than that tbh. Except my <18 friends had absolute awesome parties when their time came around - probably made up for o-week lol.
Jesus H. Christ - that was fast!

(That is a huge thank you, BTW!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)