• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Gaining Healthy Weight (1 Viewer)

euro-dragon

Im a LolOsaUR Hear Me Roa
HSC
Hey everyone,
I was wondering whether anyone has any ideas on how to gain healthy weight even though they have a very fast metabolism. I am about 62 kgs but pretty tall so it makes me look thin and i have been wanting to put on muscle...not over do it but healthy looking but what im doing doesnt seem to be working.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

novembre

HSC
N/A
cook some chicken breasts (in water and only water)
in general, eat more stuff that are rich in protein
and to be healthy you need to eat stuff that are as least processed as possible
but be aware
that when ur eating very 'natural' food, cleaning is important (make sure it's clean before you eat it) and remember that some stuff NEED to be cooked or may be prone to parasites, etc

NinjaSauce

HSC

It really does come down to food on plate and lifting heavy things.

No. Stop. Uh huh, right. Suuuuuuure you eat heaps. I don't believe you, or you haven't seen a real meal, let alone seen it 5+ times a day.

You have to eat. More. More again. You have to eat A LOT of food.

I do not know your height, but i was 6 foot and 71 kg. I am at the same height, and 104kg now.

Food.

More Food.

You literally may not be able to afford it. So lower the quality a little.

More Food.

(I am of course assuming you are training hard and big)

Metric

HSC
N/A
euro-dragon said:
I was wondering whether anyone has any ideas on how to gain healthy weight even though they have a very fast metabolism. I am about 62 kgs but pretty tall so it makes me look thin and i have been wanting to put on muscle...not over do it but healthy looking but what im doing doesnt seem to be working.
What are you doing right now that isn't working? My advice is to buy some dumbells and start lifting. If you're keen, go and buy some protein (drink it after every workout). A few months and you should be a bit bigger ;)

HSC
if you're serious, invest in the following:

protein mixes - go for quality ones, 40/0/10 p/f/c or something like that. the fat helps with weight gain, but usually means the protein is crudely extracted. buy in bulk, cause you really should follow or exceed the 3/day recommended dosage, and you'll run out in a month
creatine - these help with muscle recovery. before and after workout sessions, during if it's extra long. they're shit expensive - around $70 for a bottle of concentrated pills, but get them off the net (and in powder form) and you'll save a bit
steroids - what, you think arnie became arnie by eating a shitload of austrian chestnuts? yes, they cause your testicles to shrink, you'll get acne everywhere (face, legs, ass), your liver will probably explode, but it works. go with low dosages and low intensity hormones, also remember to take estrogen blockers as well unless you fancy a pair of bitch tits.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
you need to pack on the kilojoules, but not the way I did- I used to think that I could just eat everything in sight and gain weight. While it did work, most of the weight I gained was in fat and not lean muscle mass as I was hoping. So in short make sure you're getting plenty of kJ in the form of cereals, grains, fruits and veg.

You'll need plenty of protein (at least 2g per kg of body weight) through lean cuts of beef and chicken. Of course, it's hard forcing meat down all the time, time consuming, and not to mention expensive, so you'll want to supplement with some protein shakes which are quick, affordable and easy.

All in all aim to get about 50% of your energy from carbs (low GI preferably), 30% from protein and 20% from fats, keeping in mind you get much more energy out of fats than the equivalent quantity of carbs.

One final thing to remember when bulking up- make sure you're getting a good quality meal (or at least a balanced protein shake) at least every 2-3 hours- aiming for 6 meals spaced throughout the day. Apparently when the body goes into a starved state it begins using up glycogen stores in your muscle in order to get its energy, which is what we're trying to avoid. I know it's hard when you're used to three massive meals (which better suits our modern lifestyle)- but with the protein shakes, smaller meals and a bit of planning you'll begin to enjoy the results in no time!

Last edited:

NinjaSauce

HSC
A High Way Man said:
What do you recommend for cheap eats?
Heh, you'll hate me.

No.1 = Parents!

I'm very lucky too in this regard, many parents freak when their children try to eat and eat and bulk. My parents are rather athletic, and completely supportive. Though, it has got to the point where i now contribute $60 to the weekly house budget, 3 hours work? worth it. :D

In relation to above, buy food, learn to cook, and pack meals. Buying food in stores is convient but expensive as hell.

Meat is typically the most expensive part. Vegies and fruit typically dont break the bank (assuming you don't spend $$$$ on deli foods or blueberries, etc.

If you see a cheap deal on the good stuff like Chicken breasts, lean beef, steak, etc take it.

Cheap stuff includes, chicken legs (not best, but cheaper), beans, EGGS, milk, 'black & gold' oatmeal/rice/pasta, and SPICES. Spices are the secret. These allow you to get away with eating the same plain meats, like chicken breast, over and over. If you own 10 spices, you have 10 different meals immediately. Actually, include sauces there too.

Thats all off the top of my head, so if you have questions askem!~, but Mainly COOK FOR YOURSELF.

I am kinda lucky, i give my mum cash and say "get me this, thanks!", i buy bulk and cook up heaps. on a Sunday, or Monday Night, and pack for the week!

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
you mean like chicken breast slice sandwiches and stuff? or do you cook your own chicken w marination n stuff.

NinjaSauce

HSC
Either man, But try to learn to cook beyond sandwhiches. It is rather limiting.

I wouldn't say i really marinate my stuff, but i could... Bit too much effort. I typically eat my steak plain/ish, and have vegies - potato, sweet potato, and whatever is in the fridge! Grab anything green, and try to get as many colours as possible on your plate. Reds, orange, green, yellow, purple(?), etc. All good.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
start eating more cereal+milk, eggs and tuna. theyre packed with protein and pretty cheap. i like to buy excessive amounts of milk when grocery shopping (Pura milk, it tastes better and has more protein) so im forced to consume it before it expires.

check the nutritional info on the foods you eat and try to aim for a certain amount of protein each day. around 1 gram of protein per kilogram of bodyweight is a decent start. add a bit more if you start working out and want some muscle gains.

2 servings of cereal (~15g), half litre of milk (~20g), 3 eggs (~20g) and a tuna sandwich (~20g) per day followed by a bit of exercise and i guarantee youll start noticing some nice healthy weight gain after a few weeks. the above foods arent very filling so it wont be too hard to get into the diet and all together will only cost you about $3 per day.

edit: ive been trying to follow the above advice for about a month and a half now and the difference really is noticeable. some nice added muscle definition and no more being self conscious about appearing unhealthily skinny with my shirt off at the beach. im now around 72kg at 181cm.

Last edited:

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
anyone tried kangaroo? at first i was put off by eating our national emblem but then i found kangaroo sausages - $2.99 for 7 at wollies.

30 grams of protein, 1.5 grams of fat. cheap, easy to cook and delicious!

Nat3skiz

HSC
inasero said:
you need to pack on the kilojoules, but not the way I did- I used to think that I could just eat everything in sight and gain weight. While it did work, most of the weight I gained was in fat and not lean muscle mass as I was hoping. So in short make sure you're getting plenty of kJ in the form of cereals, grains, fruits and veg.
if the kilojoules are unused it will be stored as fat, whatever type of food it is.

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
true that- I should probably add it's important to be doing exercise at the same time as eating all those calories so the excess energy is used by the body productively and proteins can go towards building up your muscles!

I'm reading "weight training for dummies" at the moment (I know haha) and the authors reckon that we don't need protein supplementation- based on the fact that a typical Western diet (except for vegos) gets more than enough protein, but on the other hand most of the other sources I've read say to take at least a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. What are your thoughts?

NinjaSauce

HSC
Based on pounds of bodyweight (kg x2.2) for someone weight training i wouldn't dare recommend less than 1 gram per pound, and for someone experienced/training hard/preparing for sport/dieting i would say anywhere up to 1.5 grams per pound.

It is a lot more than most people think. But remember, most people are small and weak - so go figure.

For me, it ends up with an (ideal) requirement of: 105(kg) x 2.2 x 1.5 = ~340grams. I have to eat a lot... This is why i recommend protein supplementation (The more limited the better. Food > protein supplements; bar post-exercise); There is a limit to how much food i can prepare for a day. i just don't have the time or inclination.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)