Gaining weight (1 Viewer)

karoooh

HSC
How would you go about gaining weight healthily? What types of food would you eat to gain it quickly?

Skeeta

HSC
go crazy on beans, lentils, rice, bread and protein shakes

HSC
N/A
I don't think it's natural to just "gain weight" healthily quickly any other way than gaining muscle (and that still won't happen quickly).

If you have a naturally fast metabolism, embrace it! :) Soooooo many other women in the world are envious of you, and it's not worth screwing up your body for a "look" that you weren't born with. Love the body you're in, especially if you're naturally skinny :D

karoooh

HSC
Yea I know! :p

But... it's just kind of gross, seeing my bones stick out, like, my chest bones, fast metabolism, or slow. I know atm, that I've got some muscle weight and it's seemed to have stopped at a certain point, and I only plan to/want to gain 5-10 kg - nothing drastic!

HSC
N/A
hmm have you seen a nutritionist or anything?

The problem with "gaining weight" is that aside from going from anorexic status to "normal", it's normally nothing good - higher fat percentage, cholesterol and all sorts of nasties associated with overeating/gaining weight bring on a whole bunch of health problems in later life. :( I'm sorry to hear how much of an issue it is, the rest of us are so worried about putting ON weight that we forget about the ones who have issues putting it on :p

What I'd suggest now is that instead of trying to screw around with your body (5-10kg is quite a bit, and would probably be drastic for YOUR body), you invest in the powers of the WARDROBE :D Bones that stick out are easily covered with textured fabrics, and this is winter - you can cover up really easily (because it's cold!), bulking up with jackets, chunky jewellery etc.

And after all this, chances are your metabolism will slow down a bit in a few more years - almost all the girls I know filled out a bit since their HSC, including a couple of skinny binnies whose metabolisms run like the Energizer Bunny :)

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Ideally, you would work out your maintenance calorie intake (i.e. how many calories it takes for you to maintain you weight), then add 250 calories to that number. When you stop gaining weight, add another 250 calories etc.

It is impossible for me to explain exactly what you need to do in one post - there is simply too much to say. I advise you do some research. I recommend www.abcbodybuilding.com

Briefly though, you need to be consuming your required calories over 6+ meals, each meal having approximately 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat. Good protein sources include whey (protein shakes), eggs, lean steak, fish, cottage cheese and chicken breast. Good carb sources include porridge (the ultimate carb!!!), rice, multi-grain bread, sweet potato and porridge again!! I get my fats from natural peanut butter, salmon and flaxseed oils. Another alternative is fish oil caps.

Nutrition is only one aspect though. To gain muscle, you will need to do resistant training. Again, I recommend you do some research. When first starting, it is advisable to get a PT to teach you the basics.

If you have any specific questions, just ask. Goodluck.

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
I was 6"1' 55kg a couple of months back (im indian)
but now i am 6"1' and 63 kg after eating more, but i didnt do any weight training besides exercise (pushups?), so its mainly body fat, but i have a long torso so you can't make out! :eek: i want to gain more weight, to be at least 68-70kg

Last edited:

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
im in the same boat :( i being struggling gaining weight for years :|

rhia

salty
HSC
energy dense foods: nuts, thick and dense breads, dried fruits, enjoying your meals and cooking with healthy fats, e.g. vegetable oils and spreads... visit a dietitian though: you might require supplementation, e.g. sustagen or enlives to help you overcome your metabolism or something.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I wish I had the financial capacity to maintain a regular diet let alone afford protein shakes. I love how I look, but girls don't really like my lack of shoulders and chest so that's all I'm working on, pushups.

Jiga

was 6"1' 55kg a couple of months back (im indian)
but now i am 6"1' and 63 kg after eating more, but i didnt do any weight training besides exercise (pushups?), so its mainly body fat, but i have a long torso so you can't make out! i want to gain more weight, to be at least 68-70kg
Yeah I was alittle under 6 foot and weighed 59kgs a couple of months ago, I hit the gym for 2 days per week and Im now 66kgs, hoping to get to 75kgs. It might not be the best thing though to be just gaining fat, your going from one unhealthy thing (being underweight) to another (being overweight, or at least having a high body fat percentage).

As for the thread starter, have you checked your BMI? Its not always the most accurate measure, but it will give you some idea if your underweight for your height, if this is the case, then you should see a doctor and get some proper advice and gaing weight the healthy way. If your not underweight, then dont worry about it.... these are both assuming your worried for health reasons? If its for your looks, like others have said, its not a bad thing to be skinny, and your body may still be changing, including your metabolism, so dont freak out just yet. As for gainig muscle, if your really skinny, putting on 5kg or so of muscle is going to make you look ripped, not a good look for a woman.

Just my thoughts.

katy-g

HSC
karoooh said:
How would you go about gaining weight healthily? What types of food would you eat to gain it quickly?
Take my recent weigh gain.

Then you'll be cheering.

Skeeta

HSC
try slimfast. It sounds really strange, but they're "meant" to have enough nutrition in them for someone to live off them only. So if you have those AS WELL as your normal meals, you're getting more calories but in liquid form

I went on this after i had food poisoning, and consequently lost about 7-10 kilos in the same amount of days. It helped me put it back on, but i think i switched to protein shakes after a while

Always

HSC
Eat stuff that is high in calories, relatively low fat but still healthy and doesn't make you too full. I'm not making this up, I had to do this under doctor's orders once upon a time ago. A few suggestions:

- Add extra protein powder/milk powder to milkshakes and smoothies
- Drink fruit juice, vegetable juice, flavoured milk rather than water
- Stir fry your veggies with extra olive oil
- Nuts and dried fruit
- Cheese-y, buttery products make you crave more, so they're good as well
- Extra spread on your sandwichs (peanut butter)
- Honey

etc.

Refreshing to have someone actually wanting to gain weight.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Im in a similar boat-

Although sum ppl will disagree i definately think u should be getting into weight training.

Im no expert at all but i have learned shit loads from www.bodybuilding.com

excellent site

Calories are important yes, bu that doesnt mean stuffing down macca's al the time, either though they have great calories (sum ppl do this).

Your body is basically an ectomorphus- where the people who can eat wat they want and (while where young) wonder where it went.

I'd recommneded starting weight training- mon/wed/fri

about an hour on those days with compound movements- benching/squats eg-

split it up and definately do not over train

Currently i do-

Mon- chest/shoulders/tricepts

Wed- Back/Abs/Biceps/Foreamrs

Fri- Legs

Its up to u, but the best gains and muscle development will have to come through weights. If you just eat ull only put on fat.

U want to be adding to ur calorie intake each week

id recommend going on a hard weight gainer and protein shake- ull need these especialy post work out and before bed.

Keep up some cardio as well but not dramatically, save the energy for the gym.

Consume protein roughly 20-30 g every 2-3 hrs!!!

Some fatty acids- tuna is a great source are good.

You'll need complex carbs as well- multi-grain bread, wheatbix... and many protein shakes contain them

Octane rebound is great.

Drink 3-4 litres of water a day. Space it out though. Dont forget ur skinny so u can treat ur self still to some junk food just dont live off it.

They say its nearly 80 % diet when ur being and 15% rest- Yes u must allow rest- this is when ur muscles grow.

Once u get serius u might want to look into creatine as well- its a safe and great supplement which can lead to massive gains.

Anyhow id recommend seeing a professional fitness/helth store dude and of course a local GP before starting any of this.

Good luck i hope i havent told u anythin wrong im sure sum 1 will disagree wit me-

check out that website for heaps of info- just dont get confused- i use to overloaded with conflicting information and confuse my self

anyways good luck and have fun seeing those muscles grow- ive recently lost the visibility of my rib cage! lol and ive never been happier.

Season

HSC
this has been taken from another message board but its the same thing http://www.dance.net/topic/2445554/1/Health-Nutrition/Tips-on-How-to-Gain-yes-I-know-I-said-gain-Weight.html&replies=8

Set yourself realistic target weights and aim to gain gradually - say, around 1kg (2.2lb) a month. To do that you'll need to add an extra 300 to 350 calories or so to your daily intake. It's best to do this in a healthy way as part of a balanced diet, rather than simply eating more fried foods or chocolate!

Top tips
1. Keep a food diary for a couple of weeks to learn more about your eating habits.
2. Rather than struggling to eat a few really big meals, plan three regular meals plus two or three snacks.
3. If you tend to eat erratically, write down a regular meal plan and keep to it.
4. Make meals a little larger or more calorific. For example, have an extra slice of toast at breakfast; drink grape juice rather than orange juice; make coffee with milk; serve an extra spoon of mash, rice or pasta; be more generous with healthier unsaturated oils, salad dressing and spreads; always have a dessert.
5. Have snacks to hand so you never go short. Good choices include nuts, seeds and raisins; pots of rice pudding, custard or yoghurt; cereal or cereal bars; flapjacks; milk, yoghurt drinks or smoothies; a scone or fruit bun; wheatmeal biscuits; cheese and crackers; fruit plus small chocolate bar.

Exercise options
Although exercise helps to burn calories, it's important to include some form of activity into your plan to help keep your bones strong and your muscles toned.

1. Ensure regular physical activity for 30 minutes (or two 15-minutes sessions), five days a week - walking is ideal.
2. Combine this with some resistance training using gym equipment or home weights, if possible. First seek safe advice from a qualified fitness adviser.
3. Take care not to be too active. If you're someone who's always on their feet, make time to relax each day.
4. Keep up your increased food intake to fuel your exercise - with enough to spare to allow you to gain weight gradually.

Maintaining your healthier weight
Once you've reached your target weight, to maintain it you need to keep up the lifestyle changes you've made.

stargaze

HSC
i suppose what u normally eat. on top of that, get your extra calories from:

- complex carbs - pastas, rices, breads, potatoes, beans, sweet potatoes
- proteins - meats, eggs, fish etc
- good fats - avocados, nuts, peanut butter etc.

i really really would advise against weight gainer powders/drinks or "bulking" protein powders. While they do have a lot of calories, a lot of it comes in the form of processed sugars. So you will put on the mass, but i doubt it's the type of weight gain u would be after.

okay i just read the thread and i realise a lot of that has been covered, but yeah :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)