• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Gaining Weight (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
DJ_Cam said:
Nice work on the upped protein, but also make sure you're getting carbs and EFA's as well.( Tuna is awesome again here since it's a natural source of EFAs.) Are you an ectomoprh body type i.e stick thin, can never gain weight? If so, you might have to look at a weight gainer supp to get over the caloric threshold necessary to support hypertrophy.
Yes im very ectomorphic. I've gained about 5-10 variably changing percent of my body weight. 53-55kg now.
I use a whey protein supplement 1 hr before training.
110 calories (10 from fat), 3g carb (1 sugars), 23g protein. I usually mix it in with milk and a banana.

I sometimes add to this drink (or may take it at a different time of day) an Amino acid-complex carb supplement. It's primarily complex carbs as suggested. :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
My goal is to develop a bit of fat/muscle over my lower ribs. You can see my ribs (although less than prior to my working out) and this is the reason I don't go to the beach. I don't mind my upper pecs (got them rock-hard from only 1 week of pushups. I did 10reps and a set every hour or 2 for about 5 days of the week. Worked wonders)
Lower would be great, to develop a bit of 'boob' over that lower rib part.
How do i cover up the rest of the showing rib to look less feeble.

Luke_D

HSC
Roughly how many grams of carbs are you getting each day?

The supplement that you're taking sounds more like whey than mass gainer. You should get a mass gainer supplement that has about a 2:1/2:2 ratio of protein to carbs.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Luke_D said:

The supplement that you're taking sounds more like whey than mass gainer. There should be about a 2:1 ratio of protein to carbs.
umm..... 2:1??? that sounds really crazy
youre meant to consume 1g of protein per pound of body weight, otherwise your nitrogenous balance is fucked.
Carbs are extremelly important.
So i should only consume about 120g of protein per day. Which i do.

'weight gainers' dont always work on ectomorphs, as theyre designed for other purposes in mind.

wanton-wonton

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
My goal is to develop a bit of fat/muscle over my lower ribs. You can see my ribs (although less than prior to my working out) and this is the reason I don't go to the beach. I don't mind my upper pecs (got them rock-hard from only 1 week of pushups. I did 10reps and a set every hour or 2 for about 5 days of the week. Worked wonders)
Lower would be great, to develop a bit of 'boob' over that lower rib part.
How do i cover up the rest of the showing rib to look less feeble.

What the fuck? Sit ups of 10 reps? A set every hour? You're only supposed to rest for a few minutes...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Luke_D said:

The supplement that you're taking sounds more like whey than mass gainer. You should get a mass gainer supplement that has about a 2:1/2:2 ratio of protein to carbs.
i see youve edited your post.
2:2 is more reasonable. Although 2:2 :p that's a silly way of putting it. BUT you'll find most weight gainers have simple carbs (sugars) which get burnt through quickly and offer no real nutritional value.
and by mixing whey with the amino supplement I get about a 1:1 ratio.

Luke_D

HSC
You're right.

What I mean is, let's just say the serving sizes are 80g. 30-40g protein, 30g carbs (the rest vitamins and minerals). 120g of protein a day is sufficient for you. I just think you might have to up your carb intake thats all.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
What the fuck? Sit ups of 10 reps? A set every hour? You're only supposed to rest for a few minutes...
i know. but it really worked :p
i was doing it as i was doing a lot of assessments. I had no time for continuous exercise, so i'd do that.
In theory it shouldn't have worked. But i got so much bigger over that week its crazy.

Luke_D

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
Although 2:2 :p that's a silly way of putting it.
That's general Maths for ya :rolleyes: You know what I mean lol.

I'm just offloading what I'm currently doing. I just try to get as much carbs into me as possible each day. I'm not talking Coke carbs :rolleyes: The carbs I get each day are from my shakes, bannanas, pasta and rice.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Luke_D said:
That's general Maths for ya :rolleyes: You know what I mean lol.

I'm just offloading what I'm currently doing. I just try to get as much carbs into me as possible each day. I'm not talking Coke carbs :rolleyes: The carbs I get each day are from my shakes, bannanas, pasta and rice.
I didn't do maths in year 11/12. I win.

Oh and true or false. apparently the fats that you get in the canned coconut milk at supermarkets are really good for you?

DJ_Cam

Insecure Teen
HSC
N/A
Depends what kind....

If its EFAs, yeah.

Saturated, fuck no.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
melbournian said:
Weight Gainers are definantly not the way to go. Too much sugar. Only time I have high GI carbs is immediatly post workout.

120g is so not enough. You can give all this bullshit, but the guys who eat protein like there is no tommorow get better gains. I personally have about 200g a day .

1Time, are you only on protein?
At the moment my stack is multi, whey (hydrolised), creatine, l-glutamine, and nitric oxide (I don't care what people say about this- your pumps feel so freaking good with it, and i'm actually getting veins happening because of it - anyone else tried it?) .
Nitric oxide? Is that the same as nitrous oxide? as ive used that to get high.
Creatine - i don't want to risk liver/kidney damage (can't remember which one)

And yes, only on whey protein. I also take multivitamins as i feel my vitamin intake is poor.

what would u recomend to challenge ectomorphy and become 'bigger'.

Luke_D

HSC
I haven't tried it but I've heard good things about it. I was thinking of trying Pump Tech by Muscle Tech.

You certainly know your shit. I think around 120g would be enough protein for him though. I don't think he's planning on training with the kind of intensity that you obviously must do. At least not for the moment. Once he's into it, start training harder and taking in more protein.

DJ_Cam

Insecure Teen
HSC
N/A
Creatine will be fine as long as you keep well hydrated and take it sensibly. It will certainly be of benefit.

Luke_D

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
Nitric oxide? Is that the same as nitrous oxide? as ive used that to get high.
Creatine - i don't want to risk liver/kidney damage (can't remember which one)
As long as you drink enough water, this won't happen.

1Time4thePpl said:
what would u recomend to challenge ectomorphy and become 'bigger'.
EAT EAT EAT!! Your diet is just as important as the working out itself.

Simple foods include:

Fish (especially tuna)
Chicken
Red meat
Potatoes
Rice
Pasta (processed carbs, not as good as potatoes and rice)
Fruits and vegies.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
DJ_Cam said:
Creatine will be fine as long as you keep well hydrated and take it sensibly. It will certainly be of benefit.
can i get a second and third opinion.
ive spoken to body builders who say the same about steroids

Luke_D

HSC
Whoaahhh! Steroids and Creatine shouldn't be compared.

Ok yes, both of them can have an affect on your liver, but steroids are another story completely. Creatine is found naturally in red meat. More studies have been done on creatine than you can poke a stick at and it has been found to be safe.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
so how much does creatine cost? what does it do (can't be bothered reading scientific explanations) what precautions should i take? when do i take it? etc

Collin

HSC
N/A
Comparing steriods to creatine is laughable. You're not taking hormones here buddy, creatine can be synthesized in the body via 3 amino acids (which you get from eating food). It's pretty safe. Excess creatine taken just gets converted to creatinine, a harmless compound which is then excreted from the body.

EDIT: Generally you wanna load up with it first.. saturate your body with it. So maybe around 10-20grams a day for a 3-7 days. Then just take 5-10grams a day afterwards. Some people advise taking a break from it every 6 or so weeks for a few weeks.. but I've never bothered. Costs vary, but a typical tub from a non-online retailer can cost around $70-$150 for 1kg.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)