***galvanic cell issue*** (1 Viewer)

Lucas_

HSC
I'm currently having a serious issue with (re)learning galvanic cells.

From the activity series, we know that a more active metal will displace a less active metal in solution, turning from an element into an ion + free electrons. We know that the less active element (currently in solution as ions) will accept those "donated" electrons to become solid residue.

In a galvanic cell I don't understand why, when placed in zinc sulfate solution, the zinc anode (negative because it's losing electrons) 'feels inclined' to turn into Zn ions and spare electrons. I could understand if it was placed in a copper ion solution or something....?

Worst part is that I completely understood this a few months; FML!

Thanks in advance

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
350px-Galvanic_cell_labeled.svg.png

Okay, so, this is a galvanic cell. They are two separate half cells connected by a salt bridge and a lead with a device such as a light bulb or a voltmeter. The two half cell are hence, linked together. Now, the copper ions will have a tendency to "accept" electrons and the zinc ions will have a tendency to "donate" electrons. For this to occur, the copper cathode "pulls" electrons through the lead from the zinc anode.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
View attachment 25952

Okay, so, this is a galvanic cell. They are two separate half cells connected by a salt bridge and a lead with a device such as a light bulb or a voltmeter. The two half cell are hence, linked together. Now, the copper ions will have higher tendency to "accept" electrons and the zinc ions will have a higher tendency to "donate" electrons. This results in the copper cathode to accept electrons from the zinc anode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)