Galvanic cells PRAC?? (1 Viewer)

Smiley =]

HSC
HI has anybody done the Galvanic cells prac at school yet? if so, would you PLEASE be able to post it for me please? i just want to see how others have conducted the experiment. the entire prac is really confusing for me and i'm not sure what to do for it..or whether i'm doing it right at school..it's an assessment so the teacher won't help :(
anyways..Thank you very much!
:)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I've done the prac in class time, and as part of an assessment, in both we didn't need to write up a whole experiment, in fact in my assessment we were just required to fill in tables with missing info about observations of changes taking place and which was the anode/cathode etc.

P

pLuvia

Yeh I've done it. I'll give you an outline of it
Aim
To investigate the conditions under which a galvanic cell is produced
Equipment
2x copper
2x lead
voltmeter
alligator clips
peg
H2SO4
sandpaper
filterpaper
distilled water
1mol/L sucrose solution
1mol/L KNO3

Method
1. Sand the lead and copper to get rid of the oxidised bits
2. You clip both metals together, and clip it onto the voltmeter
3. Repeat this step, by sliding these material in between the metals. Filter paper, distilled water (dip the paper into it), sucrose solution (same deal), KNO3, H2SO4

4. After that, get two of the same metal i.e. copper and copper and lead and lead and using the material that had the highest reading, repeat it with the couplings and record.
This is basically what we did hope it helps

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Lol, we also had to use sandpaper to clean the metals for our prac assessment. Quite fun actually. :D

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
haha
my guess wat u would b doing is
ur teacher require u to design a galvanic cel that produces a certain amount of voltage
steps to follow would b:

1. look at data table, choose the best combination of metals
then juz do wat pLuvia (btw, arnt u.. kadlil??) said
should b easy. =]

P

pLuvia

mitsui said:
haha
my guess wat u would b doing is
ur teacher require u to design a galvanic cel that produces a certain amount of voltage
steps to follow would b:

1. look at data table, choose the best combination of metals
then juz do wat pLuvia (btw, arnt u.. kadlil??) said
should b easy. =]
Yep :D .

HSC
we didnt have 2 write it up... just draw diagrams after we set it up and read the voltage produced. You have 2 know the purpose of a salt bridge, how ions move in the salt bridge and how to work out the theoretical voltage using the standard potentials data sheet.
We set up 2 galvanic cells Zn/Zn2+//Cu/Cu2+ and Mg/Mg2+//Zn/Zn2+. it not a very difficult assessment but i lost marks because of the purpose of a salt bridge question... so be warned.
Best of Luck 2 ya xXx

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The purpose of the salt bridge is to complete the circuit and to balance the charge at each electrode by providing the positive/negative ions to each respective electrode. :)

D

Di_Angelo

Riviet said:
The purpose of the salt bridge is to complete the circuit and to balance the charge at each electrode by providing the positive/negative ions to each respective electrode. :)
lol i dunno about u but that's a handful for me to remember - couldn't u just say:

The salt bridge allows ions to move between each half cell. >> ?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Di_Angelo said:
lol i dunno about u but that's a handful for me to remember - couldn't u just say:

The salt bridge allows ions to move between each half cell. >> ?
You could just say that, but a band 6 answer would mention just a few more details, a little like what Riviet has.

I_F

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)