Games not running on Vista (1 Viewer)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Hi Everyone, just wondering if someone could help me with an issue. I have a laptop with vista. For some reason it sometimes doesn't detect the cd/dvd of some games and other software at all when I place it in the dvd drive. In the past I was able to fix the problem with the addition of a patch (for warcraft3), but I was wondering if anyone knew a way to solve the problem for all dvd/cds? I want to install Rise of Nations, but the problem exists with this game too.

Is it a matter of individally finding patches for particular software/games, or can I fix the problem with one uber fix?

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Downgrade to XP already. Vista is hell crap.

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
Agree. Other suggestion is upgrade to windows 7 RC. Its awesome. Or wait for the october 22 release.

As for an answer to the actual question, make sure you hv the latest service pack installed, and if it is and you stil hav the problem...Google is your next best friend.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
this sounds like a driver problem, not an os problem.

all games have worked for me on vista, some ive needed to disable UAC (like with Manhunt), but no game of mine doesnt work on vista, ive always worked out how to make it work.
Prince of Persia Warrior Within didnt work at first, froze up a few mins into the game, i disabled water settings and it never froze again, lol.
Manhunt needed UAC disabled.

But Windows 7 might not let certain games work. My bought copy of s.t.a.l.k.e.r. clear sky works with my vista ultimate, but not on my friends windows 7 rc.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
If you have problems reading cd/dvds then if reckon its your cd/dvd drive, it happened to once before. If you have warranty get it checked out else get it checked out at comp store.

With games that have installed but not working, then ye as suggested update your graphics card driver to the latest. It also improves its performance aswell at most times.

HSC
Hi Everyone, just wondering if someone could help me with an issue. I have a laptop with vista. For some reason it sometimes doesn't detect the cd/dvd of some games and other software at all when I place it in the dvd drive. In the past I was able to fix the problem with the addition of a patch (for warcraft3), but I was wondering if anyone knew a way to solve the problem for all dvd/cds? I want to install Rise of Nations, but the problem exists with this game too.

Is it a matter of individally finding patches for particular software/games, or can I fix the problem with one uber fix?
what version of vista do you have?

Uncle

Banned
HSC
this sounds like a driver problem, not an os problem.

all games have worked for me on vista, some ive needed to disable UAC (like with Manhunt), but no game of mine doesnt work on vista, ive always worked out how to make it work.
Prince of Persia Warrior Within didnt work at first, froze up a few mins into the game, i disabled water settings and it never froze again, lol.
Manhunt needed UAC disabled.

But Windows 7 might not let certain games work. My bought copy of s.t.a.l.k.e.r. clear sky works with my vista ultimate, but not on my friends windows 7 rc.
Call of Duty 4 better work on Vista

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Thing is, the dvd/cd drive detects half life 2 (orange box) and ONLY this. Only thing I can think of is that Hl2 is 'dvd only'? but dvd movies dont work.

what version of vista do you have?
eek. how do I find out? It came with the laptop (sony vaio). Sorry, I suck epically at this stuff.

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
Thing is, the dvd/cd drive detects half life 2 (orange box) and ONLY this. Only thing I can think of is that Hl2 is 'dvd only'? but dvd movies dont work.

eek. how do I find out? It came with the laptop (sony vaio). Sorry, I suck epically at this stuff.
Right click on the my computer icon and click properties. Should tell you what OS you have - it'll say Windows Vista SP1 or something like that.

Run windows update if you're not sure and that should update to the latest version (will take a while to download if you don't have it.

Repeating what i said before, google your problem and you should find someone, somewhere has also had the same problem and chances are there is a solution for you out there - maybe a driver update or a patch.

None of my friends have ever had problems with games on Vista, so it sounds like just your machine. Take it back under warranty is the next best suggestion if you can't fix it yourself.

HSC
Right click on the my computer icon and click properties. Should tell you what OS you have - it'll say Windows Vista SP1 or something like that.

Run windows update if you're not sure and that should update to the latest version (will take a while to download if you don't have it.

Repeating what i said before, google your problem and you should find someone, somewhere has also had the same problem and chances are there is a solution for you out there - maybe a driver update or a patch.

None of my friends have ever had problems with games on Vista, so it sounds like just your machine. Take it back under warranty is the next best suggestion if you can't fix it yourself.
oh u just told him srry

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Step 1 - Back up

Step 2 - Insert recover disk... and format the fucker.

Step 3 - Reinstall an operating system... whichever one you choose (but seeing as the Vista disk you already has will have your drivers, probably best bet)

Step 4 - If problem persists, see your doctor... I mean Sony Tech

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Sounds like you'll have to run it in compatibility mode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)