GAMSAT and Interview (1 Viewer)

qwerty44

HSC
How does application into undergrad med differ from post grad med.

I no undergrad is competitive with UMAT and the interview along with ATAR. But how is GAMSAT different from UMAT and is it just as hard and competitive to make it into post grad med?

Blushii

HSC
The GAMSAT is typically renowned to be one of the hardest exams you'll ever sit. 8+ hours or something, straight examination...and I thought UMAT was already bad enough.

qwerty44

HSC
Graduate-entry medicine requires GAMSAT, a bachelor's degree and in some cases, an interview (dunno which uni's require interview.... but USYD definitely does)

Undergrad entry is ATAR, UMAT and interview

Much fewer people sit GAMSAT than UMAT..... so that's less competition for GAMSAT.

But... GAMSAT is around 5-6 (if i remember correctly) hours...whereas UMAT is 3-3.5 hours

Plus, GAMSAT section 3 is a science multiple choice test.....u need yr12 physics, 1st year chem and 1st year bio.
Gamsat section 1 is general knowledge and section 2 is 2 mini-essays (each essay lasting half-hour)

For UMAT, the three sections are multiple choice. Section 1 is logical reasoning, section 2 is understanding people, and section 3 is literally an IQ test

Therefore..... you can't really say one is easier than the other. For some people GAMSAT is easier than UMAT..... for others, it's vice versa.

U can study for GAMSAT..... but not really for UMAT
So GAMSAT is more knowledge based?

But what was wondering is this...few people make it into undergrad med. say some do medical science and at the end apply for post grad med. are their chances of acceptance just as slim as the undergrad med?
What if someone does med science and doesn't make it into post grad med? How can the possibly become a GP etc.??

enoilgam

HSC
How does application into undergrad med differ from post grad med.

I no undergrad is competitive with UMAT and the interview along with ATAR. But how is GAMSAT different from UMAT and is it just as hard and competitive to make it into post grad med?
GAMSAT is more content based whereas the UMAT is purely like an IQ/personality test. I think with the GAMSAT, you need first year university knowledge of chemistry and physics (correct me if I'm wrong). I've heard that most students prefer the GAMSAT because you can prepare more for it.

Whilst not as competitve as undergrad entry, graduate entry is still very difficult to get into.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)