Gamsat (1 Viewer)

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
has anyone applied to do it?

date: 24th March 2007

election day. bleurgh.

has anyone done it? got any tips? details of the structure/questions/difficulty?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Still in the process of earning the $296. Will be applying once exams & other related mumbo jumbo is out of the way. Me and a mate from usyd will probably nerd it out over the holidays at fisher.

Edit: Thought I might aswell answer your other 3 questions.

Nope, never sat it before.

Yes, lots of people get through on sheer intelligence although study is necessary for most mortals. Structure = 1 verbal reasoning section, 1 essay section (2 essays of 30mins each duration), and 1 large science section consisting of 40% biology, 40% chemistry and 20% HSC level ish physics). You get a break inbetween (for lunch i presume).

Last edited:

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
ah cool
i got the practise questions book in the mail today
doesn't look too challenging at all actually. i'm kind of a little excited to study for it :eek: wow thats not cool
will have to work on essays

Legolas

HSC
It's all about strategy. My undergrad degree was in the social sciences and I was abroad for two months over the summer only returning three weeks prior to the exam. But yet managed to luckily get a mark high enough for an interview.

Best of luck!

P.S. The ACER practice questions are actually a few years old. The GAMSAT is markedly more difficult than what you see there :)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Legolas said:
It's all about strategy. My undergrad degree was in the social sciences and I was abroad for two months over the summer only returning three weeks prior to the exam. But yet managed to luckily get a mark high enough for an interview.

Best of luck!

P.S. The ACER practice questions are actually a few years old. The GAMSAT is markedly more difficult than what you see there :)
I am doing the same :( Damn holiday overseas :(

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
It's not that bad. As long as your section I and II are decent, and you do well in III, you should get a decent mark.

I didn't bother with any preparation last year and did alright.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
It was 61 last year, 59 the year before. I would aim for 65 just to be sure.

krayzie_

HSC
Ah I see, is this scaled between 0 - 100?

Also is the only thing they look at is your GAMSAT score to offer an interview, for eg, i got a BMedSci with a good GPA, will they take that into account or is it solely based on the GAMSAT score.

Because it suprises me when I see that the USYD Med program says "We welcome students from a wide range of prior degrees and backgrounds." And if they are just basing the interview step on the GAMSAT mark, then what about the people who come from a non-science degree n wanna do the test yet it disadvantages them because it has a major science part to it!

Legolas

HSC
It's "scaled" but the majority of people get marks between 59 - 65. Anything above 70 is pretty good.

USyd's cutoff was 59 for 2006 entry and 61 for 2007 entry. But othe med schools popping up (UWS) or took their first batch last year (Wollongong), I suspect it may go down.

USyd's GPA requirement is a hurdle, ie. you meet the minimum requirement of 5.5 and you're considered. It doesn't matter if you got 5.51 or 7.0. After that, it's based on the GAMSAT and the interview.

If your GPA is a strength, pick a uni which will take it into account, ie UniMelb or ANU.

(The sciences in the GAMSAT is only a taste of what it is like in first year)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Legolas said:
It's "scaled" but the majority of people get marks between 59 - 65. Anything above 70 is pretty good.
The mark generally go from 35-85, give or take a bit each year.

Saphira

HSC
what happens if I've never done any chemistry or physics and my maths is a little rusty?!?!

do you guys recommend hitting the year 12 science books for a foundation, then perhaps work my way into harder material??

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Saphira said:
what happens if I've never done any chemistry or physics and my maths is a little rusty?!?!

do you guys recommend hitting the year 12 science books for a foundation, then perhaps work my way into harder material??
That would help, also look over some first year bio and chem. They're somewhat useful (but last year's GAMSAT contained some 2nd year chem...pretty sure you can work everything out by intuition on the spot though).

HSC
melimoo said:
has anyone applied to do it?

date: 24th March 2007

election day. bleurgh.

has anyone done it? got any tips? details of the structure/questions/difficulty?
Adding to that question.....

Any prep courses? like there r for UMAT?
:eek:

Saphira

HSC
Templar said:
That would help, also look over some first year bio and chem. They're somewhat useful (but last year's GAMSAT contained some 2nd year chem...pretty sure you can work everything out by intuition on the spot though).
Karma to you :)

I just invested in a 2U + Ext 1 Maths "study" book from Five Senses... rather than forking out all the extra $$ for yr 12 text books... I think I'm going to ask fellow uni friends who do the university topics (because I don't I'm majoring in Spanish, and minor-majoring in Psychology) to give me a hand :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)