Gantt Chart (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Is this the right place to ask this question?

How does one create a Gantt Chart using excel?

HSC
N/A
ogmzergrush said:
I know what a Gantt Chart is and how the concept behind them, and how the programming of them is meant to occur

HSC
UWS-Uni-Student said:
I know what a Gantt Chart is and how the concept behind them, and how the programming of them is meant to occur
Seems like that covers everything then? If for some reason that's not the case, maybe what you need is this:

http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/timeline.exe

(Do not panic, it's a self-extracting exe file, inside it is a sample chart that you can play with to get a feel for how it works, xls file).

JupiterPie

HSC
Let's go with google result #2 instead of #1 then:
?

Or if you're still struggling...

Or... something at random from here: http://www.google.com.au/search?q=g...s=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Tada!
I am very new to project management, as a matter of fact am soon to become a student member of PMI.

This all might look easy to you - just google and take any search result but that's exactly where the issue is. There are so many results, and they are all so different... sometimes you just don't know where to start. Every single article has a different approach, everyone claims their way is the only way... not knowing much about the topic it's difficult to pick a good resource.

I am with the topic starter on this. The question is asked not because we don't know how to use search engines, it's asked to get help picking one that people who know more (like you!) vetted to be good resources.

Peace :)

DrEuler

HSC
N/A
I am very new to project management, as a matter of fact am soon to become a student member of PMI.

This all might look easy to you - just google and take any search result but that's exactly where the issue is. There are so many results, and they are all so different... sometimes you just don't know where to start. Every single article has a different approach, everyone claims their way is the only way... not knowing much about the topic it's difficult to pick a good resource.

I am with the topic starter on this. The question is asked not because we don't know how to use search engines, it's asked to get help picking one that people who know more (like you!) vetted to be good resources.

Peace :)
That was over 10 years ago.......

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I'm genuinely curious as to how these threads are found. Did someone actually search up "Gantt Chart" in the forum search bar to dig up these decade-old posts? Wish I had that much time on my hands.

DrEuler

HSC
N/A
Who cares if it's as relative today as it was 10 years ago?
That's not the point. A lot of people on here reply to posts made over 10 years ago. The likely hood of that person seeing the post is about 0.00000...

JupiterPie

HSC
I'm genuinely curious as to how these threads are found. Did someone actually search up "Gantt Chart" in the forum search bar to dig up these decade-old posts? Wish I had that much time on my hands.
yes sir

JupiterPie

HSC
That's not the point. A lot of people on here reply to posts made over 10 years ago. The likely hood of that person seeing the post is about 0.00000...
Yes but it's not about "that person" really - it's about hundreds of people who will see this post when they search for something online. Can you imagine how many people came here in 10 years? And this thread will be here for another X years.

I tried following a few tutorials online, and I must be dumb because the end result was not what I need.

I came across this site with blank gantt charts https://exceltemplate.net/gantt-chart/ and ended up using one of theirs but I'm not really understanding how it's done so I could not tweak it to fit my needs 100%. So even if you download something online... you still better have an idea on how things are made!

DrEuler

HSC
N/A
Yes but it's not about "that person" really - it's about hundreds of people who will see this post when they search for something online. Can you imagine how many people came here in 10 years? And this thread will be here for another X years.

I tried following a few tutorials online, and I must be dumb because the end result was not what I need.

I came across this site with blank gantt charts https://exceltemplate.net/gantt-chart/ and ended up using one of theirs but I'm not really understanding how it's done so I could not tweak it to fit my needs 100%. So even if you download something online... you still better have an idea on how things are made!
True, but I would be very concerned if someone couldn't make a gantt chart on excel, especially since it's so simple and there's thousands of tutorial videos

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you can't figure out how to make a Gantt chart yet with all the tutorials, I suspect you'll find the various other components of the PMP course a bit challenging....

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
the PMP course requires expert Excel knowledge?:eek:
Not specifically, but if you can't figure Gantt charts in Excel out, I'd probably save your money and not invest in doing courses which require some degree of commitment to learning/studying.

JupiterPie

HSC
lol. I have finished plenty of studies that required a great degree of commitment to learning. My time is valuable, and I see no point in spending it on something that I might have not much use for later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)