• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

gap year (1 Viewer)

liamkk112

HSC
Very unique situation
its rlly not, a lot of people are in a similar situation to u
"Though relatively dated, a 2015 All About Careers survey found that 52% of its respondents – comprised of over 37,000 undergraduates and 1500 school and university students – had agreed with the statement: 'I have no idea what I want to do with my career'"

HSC
plz get off this site yelling abt your situation here is probably the least effective coping mechanism

have you talked to your parents? like honestly told them everything and all these feelings. or a friend you trust, maybe an academic advisor at uni

people irl who care about you will do a far better job helping you feel better and giving you practical advice

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
My eldest was 16 when she finished her HSC and because she wanted to do medicine, I encouraged her to take a gap year to make sure it was what she really wanted. She volunteered at a nursing home and loved helping the elderly residents and she was well loved by them and their families, which were significant determining signs that she was probably reasonably well suited to a clinical career. She also travelled solo around the world visiting family in different continents (solo travel flights can be booked for minors, but solo hotel bookings can’t be made for under 18s) which transformed her into an independent ’adult’ which stood her in good stead to navigate the clinical years of the med course and JMO training.

She is now 25, PGY3, starting GP training, married with half the mortgage for their unit paid off (she and her partner worked and saved through Uni). She was in the fortunate position that she had parents who could bank roll a gap year (largely because all our kids went to our local public high school, saving us a fortune in school fees) but in return, I think it was a great investment, somewhat like a year of finishing school, but it was the ‘school of life’.

Last edited:

katiekms

it’s like a big train wreck (la la la)
HSC
what do you guys think about a gap year, not to find myself but to work locally to get enough money for uni, as well as build up my driving hours so that i can get my Ps and actually drive myself to uni. i also think that going from 13 years of schooling, to 4 more years of schooling, to working for the rest of my life wont be possible for me unless i take some time to refresh my brain and destress/fix burnout.
thoughts?

wollongong warrior

HSC
but to work locally to get enough money for uni
Wdym by that? Just apply for hecs
Also, personally, my rationale for not taking a gap year is that it'll be really hard to get back into the study routine again after relaxing for a year; the post-hsc holidays is enough of a break imo and if you go to a uni that operates on semesters, you get like 2-3 months winter break and 3-4 month summer break so you'd be chilling

katiekms

it’s like a big train wreck (la la la)
HSC
Also, personally, my rationale for not taking a gap year is that it'll be really hard to get back into the study routine again after relaxing for a year; the post-hsc holidays is enough of a break imo and if you go to a uni that operates on semesters, you get like 2-3 months winter break and 3-4 month summer break so you'd be chilling
obviously i dont mean the entire payment 💀 i’d just rather not have max $200 to my name…
but otherwise that’s a fair point. i also need to get my licence so i don’t have to worry about taking the very limited public transport in my area.

wollongong warrior

HSC
obviously i dont mean the entire payment 💀 i’d just rather not have max $200 to my name…
but otherwise that’s a fair point. i also need to get my licence so i don’t have to worry about taking the very limited public transport in my area.
Yea, can't say much about the license bit, that's tuff for you
you could consider working casually during uni or even seasonally during your breaks. If you're eligible for CSP, it's pretty easy to pay off uni fees and even save a bit

Gods_Spear

HSC
Actual school fees aren't an issue with hecs, but cost of living is crazy. I'm thinking about taking a gap year and working so I can actually afford rent, can't study much/what I want where I live. Does anyone have any idea whether the gap year with the adf is a good idea? It looks decent, but I'm not sure?

Ellztrap

HSC
Uni Grad
what do you guys think about a gap year, not to find myself but to work locally to get enough money for uni, as well as build up my driving hours so that i can get my Ps and actually drive myself to uni. i also think that going from 13 years of schooling, to 4 more years of schooling, to working for the rest of my life wont be possible for me unless i take some time to refresh my brain and destress/fix burnout.
thoughts?
I took a gap year to save up to move for uni
I’m glad I did.
I was eligible for Centrelink and that gave me rent assistance and study pay, but even at its max amount I’d only get $250/week which at the time only covered the rent.
It also took like 4 months for my Centrelink to get approved and I’m glad I had savings to burn through then.
I also ended up working 2 jobs at a time throughout uni to fund my independence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)