• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

GDipAppFin @ FINSIA (1 Viewer)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
CA and CFA...too much studying. :(

How long does CFA normally take? And is it done like the CA Program?

turtleface

HSC
CA should be enough, and its fairly easy to transfer to Corp Finance in Big 4 if you're good I think.

RE: CFA, I think its a bit more onerous and time consuming than the CA Program, but one and a bit modules are straight Accounting anyway, so a CA may help with it.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
OK, so I've officially enrolled into the GDip. Hope I haven't shot myself in the foot. :s

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
velox said:
So upfront payment for all the modules? or module by module?
You pay as you do each module (on top of enrollment and membership fees).

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC

I'm rich, BIATCH!

(Yeah, it ain't cheap:()

ND

HSC
Isn't it around 7K for the total course? Not too bad i recon...

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Yeah for the GDip, it should be around the 7.5K mark. For Masters, it would be around 14K.

fatbastard

HSC
Can anyone tell me what GDipAppFin subject stream they are taking from FINSIA? E.g. Treasury, Corporate Finance, Investment Management, Investment Analysis

I'm thinking of doing the Investment Analysis stream, anyone have any ideas about this stream?

Next year I'll be employed at a Big 4 doing Assurance and Advisory, however, I would like to get into Big 4 Valuations or Transactions, or even IB (ECM or Equities Research) post CA. Any ideas?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
fatbastard said:
Can anyone tell me what GDipAppFin subject stream they are taking from FINSIA? E.g. Treasury, Corporate Finance, Investment Management, Investment Analysis

I'm thinking of doing the Investment Analysis stream, anyone have any ideas about this stream?

Next year I'll be employed at a Big 4 doing Assurance and Advisory, however, I would like to get into Big 4 Valuations or Transactions, or even IB (ECM or Equities Research) post CA. Any ideas?
Hey,

We're in very similar situations. When do you plan on starting your studies at FINSIA (unless you already have)?

As for streams, I haven't decided yet. I'm doing the cores at the moment, so I'll just just wait out the decision as I get more of an idea over time...

What are your thoughts on streams? I'm sure you are aware that you don't have to pick a stream. We can just choose the subjects we want to do. Not always the best way, but a choice nonetheless.

fatbastard

HSC
Hey,

Yeah I'm currently doing C1 only. Like yourself, I'm planning to complete the rest of the subjects during my 9 months prior to the CA Program. My employers have expressed that I should complete the GDipAppFin after the CA program, but I just couldn't be bothered waiting 3 years.

In the future my goal is to work within Equities Research or Equities Capital Markets, after a few years with the current Big 4 I'm employed at. I'm planning to do the Investment Analysis stream, having talked to a stockbroker friend who works at the Private Client Division at a Bulge Bracket IB. He said that the Investment Analysis stream from the GDipAppFin is a good pre-program to the CFA program . He also said that it is essential to do the GDipAppFin and the CFA if you intend to work for an IB within their Equities Research or within Equities Capital Markets as an institutional stockbroker. As for working within the Corporate Finance/Transactions Services department of a Big 4, I'm not too sure what stream would suit well. I presume either Corporate Finance or Investment Analysis. However, I will try to clarify that with seniors at my Big 4. Therefore, my other option would be to do a mixture of Investment Analysis and Corporate Finance, as they blend well together.

Not sure yet. I'll keep u posted in the future about my decision.

Cheers,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)