General 2013 HSC advice and help (1 Viewer)

NBGHHS

HSC
Learn how to balance study and your life. Life is critical, make sure you have people you can hang out and unwind with in your free time - games are antisocial, but a game every now and then is not too bad, more than 1 hour of continuous gaming is a no no

A girlfriend will ruin your dreams of a good hsc mark....jussayin :L

Practice writing neatly and consistently for a long period of time. You will end up writing 3 essays in two hours next year. Try to attach some form of weight in your pens that you use everyday so that you gain strength in your wrist while you write. SERIOUSLY, make sure you read your text....early and before the teacher starts on it.

Personally, I finished all my notes and summaries on my subjects a term and a half before the HSC. If you do economics and have the dixon or riley textbook, finish the syllabus in the January holidays, it's a life saver. Also do this with legal studies or any other textbook based subject.

SORT OUT YOUR ASSIGNMENTS BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!
English will normally fuck with you and give you assignments a week out from tests....do them as soon as you get them.

and most of all....enjoy your last year of high school! It's the time where you are the 'kings' of the school and its time to make close friendships with those you wish to keep all your life. Be involved if you want to. I was a school captain, SRC, community leader, formal committee. It helps to get scholarships too.
HAVE FUN 2013ers!!

Karly Louise

HSC
Personally as a year 12 student currently doing my HSC atm I advise you to write summary notes for all your subjects as this will help you revise and become easier for you come time for your hsc. Keep everything up to date and if you have extra time revise your work that you are doing now so it will be fresh in your mind . Create an effective study time table and stick to it. An easy way to do this is to follow your school time table and the time when you have your allocated subjects spent time to study on those subjects and come time for recess and lunch you take those breaks :) when you receive study periods it is up to if you want to complete extra work or take a break.

Hope this helps x

speedybugger1

HSC
That's all really helpful, cheers!
Another question, what's the best way to make study notes? What's the best way to revise stuff so it stays in your head? I've heard mind maps work well, and paraphrasing?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Can you guys give me an indication of how much study needs to be done now, as a Year 11, each night?
What are some effective study techniques that you guys can pass off?
I feel overwhelmed.
I don't know how to start making notes, how often I should make them, what are good ways to memorise things, how early I should study before an exam??
Learn from a textbook or top student's notes - that way, you will always know that you have all the information that you need.

Rawf

HSC
honestly i dont think u should start doing past hsc papers at this moment, past half yearlies and trials sound alright! but not hsc otherwise when u get to the hsc ur not gonna have any more past papers to do.
No I didn't mean to do HSC past papers, that's pretty ridiculous because you wouldn't know half the content. I meant like, if you have a half yearly test coming up.. do past half yearly tests from your school and other schools too to familiarise yourself with the questions so you'll know how to attempt them if they do come up in your test.

speedybugger1

HSC
Is it advisable to keep 12 units? I'm doing general maths but I'm thinking of dropping since the extra free period could help me with chemistry and biology, and I've heard that for general to be useful you need to get above 95..

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, personally, I recommend doing 10 units - minimum amount of work. If you nail it and know your content, there's no reason to keep a backup.

Karly Louise

HSC
Well that all depends if your a visual learner then mind maps and tables work really well. Another way is to highlight the key information that way it stands out to you. Try the technique of 'teaching the dog' meaning that everytime you write out notes read them aloud so it processes through your head. I suggest to stick up your study notes as you go eg on your walls , roof, back of the toilet door :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)