• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

General Education Courses (1 Viewer)

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
i was just wondering ..dowe have to enrol in the general education courses (for the med course) before we start uni? i loooked on the website and it says we do general courses in yr 3 but is this different from the general education courses everyone in the uni has to do?:confused:

thx in advance

spoon3er

HSC
N/A
There's no need for you to worry about Gen Ed courses right now... you'll be provided with all necessary info later on. But essentially, you'll be doing 12 units all up - 6 units in 2nd yr and 6 in 3rd. Of course, if you choose to do the combined Arts/Med, then you'll be exempt from doing any Gen Ed courses.

Hope this helps!

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
You need to do 12 units of gen ed all up (and yes, these are hte gen eds everyone in uni has to do).
It's meant to be 6 units in 2nd, 6 units in 3rd but as long as you don't overload it's possible to finish them off in 2nd year.

In 3rd or 4th year, you'll also have to do 12 units of "flexible study", i.e. 12 units of subjects OUTSIDE med. These are not gen eds, these are 'elective' courses and are meant to be done along with the ILP (but don't get too worried about that).

Some pointers on Gen Eds:

- Gen eds are 3 units of credit. This is a teeny tiny portion of your overall degree, so don't stress about them too much.

- Winter session and Summer session have some good courses. These are especially useful if you're like me and prefer to get things done out of the way in the holidays.

- Online gen eds can be a double edged sword. No class = awesome. But then I've seen students forget about doing online quizzes and handing in assignments... I've seen someone FAIL an online gen ed.

- If you're doing a COFA one, do them in the holidays unless you live nearish to uni. Travelling back and forth between campuses can be a bitch.

- Consider the number of contact hours.

- Timetabling them within session can be a bit tricky, but there are a few offered in the afternoon/evening-ish and you can always do a bit of class-shuffling.

- DO STUFF YOU ENJOY. Seriously. =)

- (and finally), TAKE THE ADVICE OF THOSE MORE EXPERIENCED. If you're not sure about a gen ed, ask around. Med students tend to choose a narrow range of gen eds (due to timetabling, and also a common motivation to do as little study outside med as possible), so feel free to ask around for a list of easy/fun ones.
Here's my two cents:
- Avoid "Social Aspects of Deviance" at all costs. Do not touch it with a ten-foot pole.
- The COFA ones are totally fun and stress-free, but unless you're real hot at art you won't do that well.
- HIV and other unconquered infections. Really easy online gen ed.

Hope you find some of the ramblings above useful. Sorry it turned out so long!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)