General Engo Talk. (1 Viewer)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Yet I still see physicists as engineers in some respect.

I believe this guy could be an exception.
He is know for being a forum smartass next to conics2008.
Do post more often.

Now requesting forum friendship lololol.

Back then in PHYS1121 I wished i did ext2 maths back in school.
really.

or is it the lecture notes ololol?
well thus far i did 4unit in yr 12 so i'm finding physics 'okay' with the whole kinematics scheme.

but just goddamn so much work, the 3D vectors is tripping me out abit

erm

HSC
well thus far i did 4unit in yr 12 so i'm finding physics 'okay' with the whole kinematics scheme.

yep fucking hell aye? I need to go through about 3 chapters in the textbook.

yay day off at least!

Uncle

Banned
HSC
The thing I liked most about the Serway and Jewett (lol jew) is the colours.
Not a dull, monochrome, boring and dusty old textbook like those ones from decades ago otherwise I wouldn't be into engineering.

There will be vectors, vectors, vectors and more vectors in MATH1231.
It's not funny.
The definition of vectors may differ from the physicist's definition with the arrow and stuff.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
There will be vectors, vectors, vectors and more vectors in MATH1231.
It's not funny.
The definition of vectors may differ from the physicist's definition with the arrow and stuff.
Nice seeing ya today again, Uncle

To all those who don't like vectors.

The last 25-30% of MATH1131 = Vectors

60% MATH1231 = Vectors.

This semester I'm finding it harder and harder to remember vector formulas.

It's actually quite easy to derive them (they never told us how to derive them!)
So i implore you to derive the vecotr equations instead. :)

Last edited:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
heya tommy i'll be doin math1231 with u, my sis wont be, she changed to an easier math course.

We'll synch our classes and stuff.

kthxbai

oh also, who's doing thermodynamics, mman2700? Anyone understand what the FUCK is going on?

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
hey guys i need to get some sort of sticker approval for my calculator anyone know where i could get it?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
The School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, General Office (Room 108) will be starting to approve calculators from next week (week 8) until the end of week 11.
The School is only approving calculators for the following programs and plans each day between 10.45am – 1.00pm and 2.30pm – 4.15pm.
Programs: 3710, 3711, 3712, 3715, 4776
Plans: Aerospace, Manufacturing Engineering and Management, Mechanical, Mechatronic and Naval Architecture.

from week 8 onwards, we got an email about it.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
hahaha shit me i might actually get credit in phys and computing.

i'm on D for ENGG1000 i think,

currrently on 43%/60 for physics with 40% finals left
38%/40 of computing with the 60% finals left
32%/36 for math1131 with 64% finals left - hoping for HD here!!

Uncle

Banned
HSC
hahaha shit me i might actually get credit in phys and computing.

i'm on D for ENGG1000 i think,

currrently on 43%/60 for physics with 40% finals left
38%/40 of computing with the 60% finals left
32%/36 for math1131 with 64% finals left - hoping for HD here!!
Looks promising.

saywhatagain

HSC
Just curious, is there a minimum mark we have to achieve in the final exams to pass the course? Namely for math and phys.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Just curious, is there a minimum mark we have to achieve in the final exams to pass the course? Namely for math and phys.
i think first year maths requires a minimum mark of 40% in both sections (algebra and calculus) in the final exam, as well as your overall mark being over 50%. this is to stop people just smashing one half of the course while ignoring the other (because let's face it, algebra is easier and more enjoyable than calculus)

with physics your overall mark just needs to be over 50% (easier said than done :))

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
i think first year maths requires a minimum mark of 40% in both sections (algebra and calculus) in the final exam, as well as your overall mark being over 50%. this is to stop people just smashing one half of the course while ignoring the other (because let's face it, algebra is easier and more enjoyable than calculus)

with physics your overall mark just needs to be over 50% (easier said than done :)
)
i don't reckon it was THAT hard.

quizzes 15%, labs 25%, md sem 20% - in a decent case scenario yo uget 10, 18, 10 respectively and you're on 38, meaning you only need around 40% in the finals.

HOWEVER, i must stress that this years mid sem was a joke to last years, so i guess they dumbed down t he course abit.

LordPc

HSC
Pahor said in the very last lecture that this was not infact the case. he said something along the lines of "so you can smash the algebra side and flunk the calculus and still pass. we dont check that stuff"

(omg, calc is so annoying while I feel almost like I dont even need to study for the algebra side. argh, 2nd year cant come soon enough)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lolcalc.

mvt can be annoying but i think multivariable calculus is abit hard (or confusing? don't think they taught us it).

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Pahor said in the very last lecture that this was not infact the case. he said something along the lines of "so you can smash the algebra side and flunk the calculus and still pass. we dont check that stuff"

(omg, calc is so annoying while I feel almost like I dont even need to study for the algebra side. argh, 2nd year cant come soon enough)
haha really? pahor's the best...

lolcalc.

mvt can be annoying but i think multivariable calculus is abit hard (or confusing? don't think they taught us it).
they touch on the notion of multivariable calculus in math1131 (like you need to know partial derivatives), but it's covered in more detail in 2nd year when you get to a course on vector calculus or one of the engineering maths subjects like Maths 2A or Maths 2E.

don't worry, it's not very hard :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
haha really? pahor's the best...

they touch on the notion of multivariable calculus in math1131 (like you need to know partial derivatives), but it's covered in more detail in 2nd year when you get to a course on vector calculus or one of the engineering maths subjects like Maths 2A or Maths 2E.

don't worry, it's not very hard :)
yeah i actually did a few examples and it turns out pretty simple.

just gotta remember that d^2z/dy/dx = d(dz/dx)/dy :D

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
Hey guys, it been awhile aye. Nice to see that Omium is still kicking it around here

Just one thing guys.

Has anyone here has had Vaithilingam Jeyakumar for a math lecturer? He's on math2019 this sem. I wanna see if his lectures are worth turning up 2. I should of done math2019 last sem with pahor, oh well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)