General Essay (1 Viewer)

The Oracle

English isn't my strong point, so I would appreciate it if someone could help out.

I would like to learn how to make a general essay, so that I can memorise it, and unload it in the exam to fit the question.

Are there any tips or can someone point me in the right direction?

1) How to make a general essay?
2) How to fit it into the question?

Help is much appreciated.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
ah exactly wat I did for English...memorised general essays and did well

u have to kno wat ur text is, inside out. Understand wat u can be possibly asked on (hint: ur module is a strong hint, eg Transformations, u HAVE to talk about the transformation of the old text to the new), so basically, write an essay that encompasses all the key ideas of ur module concisely, because essay questions will always be broad enough for u to adapt a memorised essay, provided u know everything and have memorised the correct things.

The Oracle

Thanks for your reply MinAi,

Can you post one that you have done?

And it would be good also, if you could post what you answered for the question that was in the exam?

Thanks!

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
All teachers say that memorising essays is bad...but dammit-we're not idiots. English essays are unbelievably predictable-they are practically TELLING you to memorise them! :p

Just make sure that the essay you memorise is flexible...if you just slap on a conclusion and introduction that ties in with the question but the body of your essay is obviously just a memorised piece of work, the marker will not be too kind to you! Try doing a few practice questions and seeing if you can adapt your essay well (in no more than 40 mins!)-and also practice transforming your essay into other forms (newspaper articles, speeches, interviews, etc etc).

Also get ready for the disappointment and frustration when you have memorised a piece of work, but then you walk into the exam and realise there is no way you can use what you have memorised...V.annoying, but bound to happen at least once! (like the creatice piece in the first HSC exam...I wrote and memorised a story, but then we got asked to write a letter, argh!:mad1: )

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by The Oracle
Thanks for your reply MinAi,

Can you post one that you have done?

And it would be good also, if you could post what you answered for the question that was in the exam?

Thanks!
yeah once I scan it in

I obviously dont have the essay I did in HSC, but it was roughly exactly the same
the feature article however i had to improvise on, so it was basically the same content as my memorised essay, except i changed the form on the fly (this is where u need to be able to think fast, write fast, and memorise ur stuff well enough so as not to waste time by thinking)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)