General exam thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Will-E

HSC
portiaskye said:
i actually didn't hear them say anything about st columbas when they were talking about it yesterday. and if yours havn't finished being marked yet then that would be why. i'd assume that's out of all the schools in the mountains that have been marked already. i go to, or went to, blaxland. one of the guys in our year that did ceramics and therefore his had to get sent away got the marks to get preselected however they called our school and said sorry we can't put ceramic works into the exhibition anymore. but, the "no preselections in blue mountains" is just for schools that were marked internally and that have been marked already. if that makes sense. its really annoying because we had some really awesome works and it sucks that we were disadvantaged because of the markers. however, the women from the BOS practical marking is looking into getting all those schools remarked as she doesn't think it was fair either.
if that's the case, then I hope they get re-marked. also, that's stupid that they dont display ceramics. what's the point of allowing them if you can't display them if you get a good mark? either way, good luck, and i hope you get a fair mark for your work

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
question 10 was a god send question, well for what i studied.
the only thing i studied was my post modern trial essay LOL

frezbo

HSC
LinzyHodge said:
I thought it was alright, could of been better.

Section 1 was a little dodgy, b was good though. Didn't see Turner coming.

Section 2 was okay, I did question 3 after much thought.

Could have used more time!
We are probably the only people who did Question 3. What did you write about? I supported the statement and talked about Abstraction and appropriation, using Bill Viola as an example.

Question 1 wasn't that great. I felt like I should have written more, but I think I did alright.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
frezbo said:
We are probably the only people who did Question 3. What did you write about? I supported the statement and talked about Abstraction and appropriation, using Bill Viola as an example.

Question 1 wasn't that great. I felt like I should have written more, but I think I did alright.
yea, same, i hate the hsc exam booklets! they confuse my sense of how much i have actually written.... how much did you manage for Q1?

HSC
-may-cat- said:
well yes but that would be the extent of what you knew about it

uh no... it was obvious regardless what you knew beforehand
the fact that both titles actually mention the temeraire and that Turner's blatantly states that it was "broken up 1938" was a clear give away that it was about the same historic event

it doesn't take a genius to put two and two together

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
uh no... it was obvious regardless what you knew beforehand
the fact that both titles actually mention the temeraire and that Turner's blatantly states that it was "broken up 1938" was a clear give away that it was about the same historic event

it doesn't take a genius to put two and two together
...yes, i know, thats what i said, you would know that both paintings depicted the temeraire, but you would not know any other factors relating to it.

Last edited:
HSC
-may-cat- said:
...yes, i know, thats what i said, you would know that both paintings depicted the temeraire, but you would not know any other factors relating to it.
you actually said... "nah she'll be right, i only knew cuz id studied those paintings before"

what i'm saying is that i don't see how you needed to know it was about the sinking of the temeraire and not a tugboat beforehand since any idiot could work out that it obviously was about its sinking from the titles and that it was a historic event

China Doll

HSC
I thought the exam was relatively straightforward + felt the questions were reasonably broad - seemed to provide a lot of room for personal interpretation, which I LOVE to see within an art exam. I was initially quite thrown by part b) of question 1 if only because I was unsure of what exactly they wanted me to address, however I think I answered it well in the end. I loved part c) because I'd actually been writing about postmodern interpretations or appropriations of traditional works within my essay (which I did first) and so I was on a bit of a roll. I feel confident about my essay, which was a huge relief because I didn't end up finishing the essay in my trial exam. Answered question 10 and wrote 6-7 pages or so - I'm aware that many students would have produced a far greater number within the 45 minutes however I'm happy with what I wrote. Quality > quantity right? In the end I think time must have gotten away from me because I had to bullet point part a) - here's hoping!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
you actually said... "nah she'll be right, i only knew cuz id studied those paintings before"

what i'm saying is that i don't see how you needed to know it was about the sinking of the temeraire and not a tugboat beforehand since any idiot could work out that it obviously was about its sinking from the titles and that it was a historic event
My last post was referring to my previous post 'but that would be the extent of what you would know'

yes, i knew about the event as well as the circumstances sarrounding the event, i understand what you are saying and don't get why you are pushing it? when i said 'i only knew cuz i had studied those paintings' i meant i knew about the event in general, not just what the paintings were depicting.

HSC
-may-cat- said:
My last post was referring to my previous post 'but that would be the extent of what you would know'

yes, i knew about the event as well as the circumstances sarrounding the event, i understand what you are saying and don't get why you are pushing it? when i said 'i only knew cuz i had studied those paintings' i meant i knew about the event in general, not just what the paintings were depicting.
i'm only pushing it because you didn't get what i was saying, i'm not criticising you i'm criticising the people that thought it was a tugboat etc
i quoted what you said because you inferred that you needed to no something beforehand, whereas i'm saying no you don't aslong as you have half a brain you could have worked it out

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
i'm only pushing it because you didn't get what i was saying, i'm not criticising you i'm criticising the people that thought it was a tugboat etc
i quoted what you said because you inferred that you needed to no something beforehand, whereas i'm saying no you don't aslong as you have half a brain you could have worked it out
well you got the message wrong i guess

pezdog

HSC
1b was pretty hard, bullshitted that question. Was cheering when i got to C because i had already studied Impressionism and Turner specifically...subjective was easy because Turner wanted to use his painting to convey emotions rather than reality.

I did Q7 for the essay, talked about Turner, Duchamp, Warhol and Howard Arkley and wrote 5 pages - which is a page more than i expected so im stoked :D

HSC
-may-cat- said:
that i understood what you were saying
on a completely unrelated note... you were part of the ext history thread right?
i noticed sonyalee is back =.=

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
on a completely unrelated note... you were part of the ext history thread right?
i noticed sonyalee is back =.=
no, i don't take extension history. Whats wrong with sonya?

lealea226

HSC
gloworm14 said:
i wrote that turner's was more traditional and conveyed more emotion and i think i wrote something about it being in the romantic styled type of painting.
the other one i said was more contemporary and didnt convey as much emotion even though it was depicting the same event. i dont know if i am right lol
I wrote the same thing too!! I basically wrote that turner saw it as a glorious event where as the other artist thought it was de-grading since they had lack of detail in their work. I hope im right too! It was stupid having a complicated question like that worth 12 marks! Im hoping I did really good in the a) and b) questions now so if I didnt do so well in c) then my marks in a) and b) will boost it up so I pass the first section! I actually failed the first section in my trials but half a mark :mad: Unfair!

frezbo

HSC
-may-cat- said:
yea, same, i hate the hsc exam booklets! they confuse my sense of how much i have actually written.... how much did you manage for Q1?
My memory might be a bit shakey, but I think this is how much I wrote for each:
1.a) a bit over a page.
1.b) two and a half pages
1.c) two pages

HSC
-may-cat- said:
no, i don't take extension history. Whats wrong with sonya?
some massive flaming... it got deleted though... offensive would be an understatement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)