general math scaling??? (1 Viewer)

Star_Empress

HSC
i'm thinking of dropping 2u maths and doing general but ppl have told me not 2 coz it will scale me down...does anybody kno if this is tru and if so by how much. also does it mean whatever mark i get it could scale me down by like 5 marks or something, does it apply to every mark or just the lower ones?? realli confused>.<

Reactions: QZP
P

pLuvia

Star_Empress said:
i'm thinking of dropping 2u maths and doing general but ppl have told me not 2 coz it will scale me down...does anybody kno if this is tru and if so by how much. also does it mean whatever mark i get it could scale me down by like 5 marks or something, does it apply to every mark or just the lower ones?? realli confused>.<
If you are near the top ranks and high 90s, you won't be scaled down that much and vice versa. But I agree with Bookie

klaw

HSC
Bookie said:
Likely.

Can you guys use calculators in general maths?
they get graphics calculators and can basically do everything on their calcs

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I've got a graphics calculator, but we're not allowed to bring it into any assessments/exams. However, i find it very useful for checking my curve sketching. :cool:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i dropped to general maths at the start of the term...because i was doing really badly (we're talking marks in the 30s and 40s) in advanced maths. and that was with a substantial amount of study. i would have dropped the subject altogether, because i hate it with every fibre of my being, but i cant because i want a uai, and dropping maths would mean picking up visual design in its place = no uai. so thats why i do general. i know a lot of other people are in that situation too - doing maths because they dont really have a choice so they pick the easier option. at our school they kinda force you to do maths in some form because the only other option is visual design which about 5 people do. it sucks, but what can you do? i guess if you're good at maths general must seem like a cop out/pointless, but for those of us not blessed with any great numerical skill, it's a great way to get good marks, if you work.

klaw

HSC
Without Wings said:
haha you can't do everything in the course on a graphics calculator - it's like one thing in the course which it does it for.
Also, not many GM students have graphics calculators, as they are a bit of a waste of money, when you can do it on a normal calculator. Most use normal calculators - the same as the Mathematics class.
hmmm... I heard from the person who's 3rd in general maths at my school that he did every single Q on the prelim with his graphics calculator. They can solve equs and stuff (forgot the rest).

Star_Empress

HSC
so basically if you get a band 6 your fine otherwise you get scaled down heaps?...first time i've heard of graphic calculators..can you use them in the adv math course?

Mandy101

HSC
Actually, General Maths is a great subject - a lot more relevant than 2unit Advanced Maths. I'd know - I did both.

I'd advise you to drop to General - it's a fun course, and you'll enjoy doing it. As long as you get over 90, which practically my whole class did, you won't get scaled down.

I know people who frowned upon General Maths and got marks in the 70s for 2unit Advanced, while I ended up with 93 (and I'm pretty crap at maths). I say go for it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)