General maths -> 2u maths? (2 Viewers)

HSC
I read on the website something about a mathematics skills program (MSP) UNSW offers to help students like me get upto speed with 2u maths. However, its ran same time as my degree is, so how will I learn 2u maths at same time while doing 2u maths-based uni subject?

Anyone got more info on this?

chloe169

finance yo
HSC
I'm in the same boat.. let me know if you find out any info...

hope we dont die :( damn general...

HSC
We could either learn it off someone chloe, attend pre-uni starting classes or both try and figure out. What'd you get in general!?

Raginsheep

HSC
Just get a tutor or learn by yourselves. It isn't really that hard...

HSC
1 month is enough? is tutoring cheaper in group? does unsw offer classes? easier learning it with someone else to bounce ideas off?

many things making me panic :uhhuh:

Raginsheep

HSC
One months probably won't be enough unless you're doing a topic a day however, you could start off with what will be used in uni from the first day (sequences and series if I remember correctly from another post here somewhere) and then move onto other stuff.

Given your some-what unique position, I think personal tutoring will be better unless you're hooking up with chloe for group ;)

chloe169

finance yo
HSC
I got 89, watd u get?

Im learning off a private tutor, only had 4 lessons so far. Its not hard but it takes longer to absorb and needs to be practised more then general in order to get the hang of it.. only done basic calculus so far....

Am also freaking out... and disappointed that nobody on bos knows anything about MSP! But then again I guess were asking the wrong crowd, eh? :p Too smart for maths skills!

chloe169

finance yo
HSC
Raginsheep said:
One months probably won't be enough unless you're doing a topic a day however, you could start off with what will be used in uni from the first day (sequences and series if I remember correctly from another post here somewhere) and then move onto other stuff.

Given your some-what unique position, I think personal tutoring will be better unless you're hooking up with chloe for group ;)
somewhat unique, yea... fancy giving a general maths student a finance co op... i am so screwed

Raginsheep

HSC
Just do the wordy fin subjects then. At least they didn't give you the actuarial co-op...

HSC
chloe169 said:
I got 89, watd u get?

Im learning off a private tutor, only had 4 lessons so far. Its not hard but it takes longer to absorb and needs to be practised more then general in order to get the hang of it.. only done basic calculus so far....

Am also freaking out... and disappointed that nobody on bos knows anything about MSP! But then again I guess were asking the wrong crowd, eh? :p Too smart for maths skills!
i got 92

what are you worried about you already got a private tutor!

HSC
Well anyone else curious about the MSP I got some info from the email, my email:

Hi.

I'd like some further infromation on the Mathematics skills program. I did the General mathematics subject for my HSC however my offer recieved ( BCommerce/BEconomics ) requires Mathematics as prequisit.

When do these MSP classes start?
Is the MSP just classes held in the evenings only ?
Over what sort of period is it done?
How many classes a week?
Is it tested like the other bridging courses held between 23rd of Jan - 17th of Feb?
Anything can/should be done to attend these classes?

=============

Reply:

1> The MSP will commence in week three of semester.

2> Classes are held every Monday and Wednesday evenings 5:30pm to 7:30pm

3> Classes go for 12 weeks

4> The MSP is a university subject and your grades do count so there will be assessments.

5> To enrol in the MSP you need to email w.johncock@unsw.edu.au with your name, student number, and a statement that you realize the course costs $600 and that you would like to be enrolled.

=============

I call for some clarification, it seems like if you don't have the 2u maths subject you'd have to do ECON1101 (Quantitative methods A) in semester 2 year 1 and ECON1202 (Quantitative Methods B) in semester 1 year 2.

edit: further clarification:
Called the student adviser, you CAN do that move of delaying Quantitative methods, and in order to not have 1 subject owing in a semester you can take your 12uoc Gen ed subjects during winter/summer too free up room and thus not have the degree expand from 3 (or 4) years, to 3.5 (or 4.5) years.

and other subejcts taken (ACCT1501, ECON1101, FINS1612) don't require the 2u maths so its all good!

MSP is assessed and you're given a mark, but does not take up any uoc and thus doesnt contribute to your degree.

Last edited:

chloe169

finance yo
HSC
mmmmyeah im not sure if im gonna bother with msp or not.. ill see how i go with QMA. you going to enrol casmira?

HSC
chloe169 said:
mmmmyeah im not sure if im gonna bother with msp or not.. ill see how i go with QMA. you going to enrol casmira?
Yep I've already enrolled, im not going to do QMA first semester, i'll do it next semester and do Gen ED probably advanced greek something like that where I can thrash it and do it over summer or winter holidays. You gotta have done at least 48 units to do a gen ed course

I am still going to do into the uni later on prob to get my card and tie up any loose ends

Last edited:

ace

is retired
HSC
Maths is easy to pick up. Don't sweat it. Maybe if you had 50 in general maths i'd agree with your "doing MSP". But nah.

No point in delaying courses, you'll learn in the course how to do things. I mean if you do a preparation course for this (which is simple maths), imagine when you come to later courses which have no preparatory understudies for you to partake in.

Ok the point im getting at, the recommended 2u or whatever really means crap all. They teach you what you need to know, you learn it and apply it.

For example, all the engineering students (ignoring the fact your doing commerce here for the moment) will have to do math11x1, x=3/4/5. Now that is basically an introductory 4unit maths course. I'll take a good guess in the dark that most people doing the first year engineering math courses are coming in with only 2u on there shoulders.

So in the end, don't freak out about not knowing something. They will teach you what you need to know, (otherwise they can't test you on it).

Also the course is expensive as casmira pointed out. $600. You could use that money for textbooks/student fees instead I say ;)

cheers

elfm

HSC
just learn it when the lecturers teach you. 3U maths really isn't hard to learn, and you shouldn't waste your precious holidays labouring over something you're going to learn in uni anyway. like someone said, many people came from 2U or 3U classes in high school, yet they did fine in 4U based topics in uni. it just requires a bit more work, you won't be disadvantaged if you put in some effort.

HSC
ive already restructed my timetable to deal with MSP and delaying QMA, sorry guys but I dont wanna walk into QMA unprepared, all the advisors recommended that I do QMA. It doesn't bother me because other majors that require nil prereqruisits take its place

$600 is nothing to me anyway compared to what the overall course will cost

jyoukhana

jyoukhana
HSC
How much longer will it take to complete your degree. Cos i read it will extend the time to complete your degree. And im doing SOftware Engineering so my timetable so far has 12 hours of maths a week. And only did General Maths.

fat_penguin

HSC
you could do a bridging course instead? the nsw ones have already started.. but you could do the UTS one - it starts on feb 6 and goes to feb 16..

i would know, i'm in exactly the same boat but for 3u -_- sigh stupid math.

anyway, just to give u some more info, the course will cost $300, which i guess sounds like a lot, but there are a lot of hours in there..

2u math runs from 6- 16 feb, and there are two sessions, 10am to 1pm or 5.30 to 8.30 pm..

so yeah. dunno if that helps but there's my 2c :)

HSC
jyoukhana said:
How much longer will it take to complete your degree. Cos i read it will extend the time to complete your degree. And im doing SOftware Engineering so my timetable so far has 12 hours of maths a week. And only did General Maths.
You have to hold off any and all subjects that require at least 2u maths for the first semester, now what happends is you do subjects that don't need the 2u maths course. Like with me I was in a deadlock state so I'm doing 3 subjects first semester. But I can do 12uoc (or even 6uoc) of gen ed subjects over the summer/winter holiday break and thus free up those units to make up for the 1 subject I had to postpone.

politik:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)