General Maths and Software Engineering? (1 Viewer)

Is it OK to drop from 2Unit Maths for General Maths and still do Software Engineering

• Sure

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 17 77.3%

• Total voters

Dean S

HSC
Hello, I'm currently in year 11 and I'm thinking of dropping 2Unit Mathematics for General Mathematics. I'm not doing this because I can't do the 2Unit Mathematics work, it's all easy in year 11, it's because I don't want to do it. Lazy I suppose. And I've looked at many HSC past papers for General Mathematics, and all of it looks very trivial.

Anyway, is it possible for me to do Software Engineering in a University and still do General Mathematics for HSC?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
if you can't do the 2U math work now, how do you think you are going to do the university math work?

but yeah it's possible I guess, you just need the atar to get in and there are no subject prerequisites

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I guess you could do a bridging course. However if a course says recommended or assumed it is highly advisable to stay in 2 unit Mathematics.

Potentially you could keep it and have it not count and continue with 12 units.

Dean S

HSC
if you can't do the 2U math work now, how do you think you are going to do the university math work?

but yeah it's possible I guess, you just need the atar to get in and there are no subject prerequisites
I never said I couldn't do the 2U Math.

teridax

HSC
N/A
Hello, I'm currently in year 11 and I'm thinking of dropping 2Unit Mathematics for General Mathematics. I'm not doing this because I can't do the 2Unit Mathematics work, it's all easy in year 11, it's because I don't want to do it. Lazy I suppose. And I've looked at many HSC past papers for General Mathematics, and all of it looks very trivial.

Anyway, is it possible for me to do Software Engineering in a University and still do General Mathematics for HSC?
To be blunt, if that's your attitude, then how are you supposed to cope with uni maths? Taking the easy way out isn't going to do much good for you in the long run, dude.

Flop21

HSC
There is no way you could do software engineering without at least 2u maths. Computer science / software engineering is pretty much math.

I've been told you start 4u math when you start your course, hence why 4u is recommended. 3u knowledge is assumed.

I'm already disadvantaged because I only did 2u, I couldn't imagine doing only general. I'll have to learn the course in the holidays + go to a bridging course. But remember, bridging courses are really for people wanting to refresh their memory before they go into uni.

Do 2u maths. And do 3u if you can.

Don't be lazy, you just gotta do it if this is what you want to do, you should want to do math anyway as I'm assuming you like math because you want to do software engineering.

You will regret not doing it later. Anyway, general is boring.

Dean S

HSC
There is no way you could do software engineering without at least 2u maths. Computer science / software engineering is pretty much math.

I've been told you start 4u math when you start your course, hence why 4u is recommended. 3u knowledge is assumed.

I'm already disadvantaged because I only did 2u, I couldn't imagine doing only general. I'll have to learn the course in the holidays + go to a bridging course. But remember, bridging courses are really for people wanting to refresh their memory before they go into uni.

Do 2u maths. And do 3u if you can.

Don't be lazy, you just gotta do it if this is what you want to do, you should want to do math anyway as I'm assuming you like math because you want to do software engineering.

You will regret not doing it later. Anyway, general is boring.
I do enjoy Math, but I was just seeing if it's possible to get the same outcome with less effort.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
ur gonna struggle a lot in uni if u dont have a good foundation in maths from high school. Choose carefully

Dean S

HSC
Plus my Brother failed 2U. So I'm not too keen on it.

Like, I'm afraid of failing Maths too, so I'd rather get a good ATAR with General. And hopefully get the course I want, but seeing as General Maths isn't enough for the course I want. I may reconsider dropping 2U.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Just persist with 2U then.

You'll need 2u (arguably 3u) for your course anyway, so it's actually less work overall if you just do 2U.

Computer science / software engineering is pretty much math.
Not really, comp sci theory can be math heavy but software engineering and maths are VERY different.

engineeringman

HSC
Unfortunately most universities have prerequisite requirements for mathematics (ANU has 2U for Software Engineering). However, many Universities do have bridging courses if you exhibit an interest in the field through a resume.

turntaker

HSC
you dont need maths,

just html

jk 2u at least

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Unfortunately most universities have prerequisite requirements for mathematics (ANU has 2U for Software Engineering). However, many Universities do have bridging courses if you exhibit an interest in the field through a resume.
Really?

I can't remember the last time I saw a university list a prerequisite for enrolment.

Loads have assumed knowledge but that's not the same thing.

Edit: Checked USYD and UNSW neither have prereqs. Not sure if prereqs are still an ACT thing.

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
then imo best to keep it

Computer science / software engineering is pretty much math.
not really as brent012 said

yes this, they go very quickly through 3U stuff because it is already assumed and you already "know" it. They teach you 4U stuff a bit more

I do enjoy Math, but I was just seeing if it's possible to get the same outcome with less effort.
glhf with uni and life

you dont need maths,

just html

jk 2u at least
lel

Silly Sausage

HSC

GG engineering.

Yes, but the maths you encounter will come at a bit of a shock to you if dropped - as in completely new language kinda shocked.

Difficulty (as in level of thinking involved) isn't 4U (unless you do adv or something similar) but much of content is i.e. complex numbers, implicit differentiation and mechanics (usually in mathematical modelling subjects/physics). However most unis have math courses which only assume 2U maths.

Last edited:

Ikki

HSC
Ideally you should be doing 3 unit math. If you drop to general you will get rekt in 1st year eng maths. Atleast if u do 2u you will be good for some calculus bits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)