General maths questions (1 Viewer)

7th Sign

HSC
well today it was my first period in general maths im in year 11 and i just dropped from 2 unit, i go to the teacher today in the hsc is the general test just year 12 work and she is like no its year 11 and 12 work...is this true or faulse? if its true in screwd.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
hey i got told that too when i dropped and i didnt drop too long ago. I had the problem of thinking the questions were harder than they really were because i found 2u so difficult. Basically i have found that the stuff we are doing is basically exactly the same as what we did in 'advanced' in yr 10. But yeah, i havent heard the whole truth as to whether the yr 11 work is included.

Happeninchick

Gilmore Girl
HSC
I am doing my HSC this year and I was asking around about this exact question and apparently they can pull anything between 1-30% of our Preliminary course into the HSC exam. A lot of the work actually runs on into Grade 12 anyways. Some topics (example: Algebra) the course component is studied more in depth in year 12, but the exams are sure to contain basic algebraic simplifying and expansion that was learnt in Grade 11. Hope that helps! :D

kacca29

HSC
N/A
If you've dropped down to General from 2U try not to worry about the yr 11 content. Yes it's examinable but the content itself isn't any harder than a yr 10 advanced course (or even intermediate really). New stuff isn't introduced until yr 12. What's different I find is that you are not used to the application aspects of it, so although you understand similarity or linear equations the real-life aspects of the questions can throw you. So the best thing you can do is to get yourself some revision books like success 1 early on and practice doing questions so you know exactly what each question is asking. Success 1 is really good cause the questions are broken up into topics and gives worked answers. Good luck with it.

lil_lainy

HSC
they can put up to 30% yr 11 work in the exame alone, and then, they can put more in questions that like evolve into yr 12 questions or sumthing, i dunno...our teacher explained it

so the truth of the matta is there may be a whole heap or maybe not but most of it u will no anyway...i dropped and didnt no sum yr 11 work so i just borrowed the yr 11 textbook and leanrt the lil bits an pieces i didnt no

:D

Last edited:

lilmzqt

+.~*Special*~.+
HSC
Connections said:
well today it was my first period in general maths im in year 11 and i just dropped from 2 unit, i go to the teacher today in the hsc is the general test just year 12 work and she is like no its year 11 and 12 work...is this true or faulse? if its true in screwd.
yeh well i dropped from 2 unit at the end of my yr 11 as well and i havnt had any probs - i was in intermediate in yr 10 and now im having no probs for doing anything for the hsc stuffs - the only small probs i hav r the new yr stuff - thats the harder parts yr 11 stuf is reeli quite easy i thought.

malkin86

HSC
If you did Advanced Maths in yrs 9 and 10 I think the General course is a lot easier... I don't know how much overlap there is with the other strands of stage 5 stuff.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Your best bet would be to borrow (or buy) the prelim general maths book/s and do the chapter summaries. That way if u don't understand anything, you can go through the chapters and learn it. Happeninchick is right...they can test up to 30% of the prelim course, and that part of the test is usually where people fall into a trap, coz they haven't revised prelim.

You've only just started yr 12, so you're lucky. you have summer holidays to revise the prelim course :p

Good luck! :)

malkin86

HSC
The Excel HSC Gen. Maths book has the prelim course as well.

7th Sign

HSC
i was in advanced in year 9 and 10 so i think i should be alright then....thanks for tha feed back people

timrie6

HSC
N/A
I dropped down to general this time last year and I'm so glad I did.

Scanorama

HSC
Did you school give you a textbook of the Year 11 General? In our school we got to keep both Year 11 and Year 12 textbooks and some stuff appear on the HSC course do relate back to Year 11 work. It is very easy to catch up, took me less than 10 minutes to understand the concept.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)