general maths v 2 unit (1 Viewer)

travalina

HSC
I typed in an aligned mark of 90 for 2 unit and 95 for general they came up as similar.
In reality would this be the case more often then not?

travalina

HSC
alluring said:
general maths are for dumb cunts :D
That makes you look articulate when your sentence doesn't even make sense lol try ' IS' Mate.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
2U Maths is a higher-scaling subject than General Maths. Scaling applies to everyone, so yes, this applies in every case.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
In 2-unit maths, you're competing against more mathematically intellectual people, so a 90 in 2-unit would be worth a lot. In general maths, 95 may be a higher result but the overall candidature is lower. You wouldn't be competing against people of the same ability, resulting in your mark being scaled a bit lower.

Last edited:

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Also Dreamerish*~, nice sig :p.. The names bond, Covalent bond... lol thats gold.

eric le

hsc 06 uai: 96.5
HSC
trav u fp ....do general if it means higher uai u derrick lol

travalina

HSC
eric le said:
trav u fp ....do general if it means higher uai u derrick lol
shut up eric bloody hell trying to bag me over a public forum u derrick lol, i hear vdm wants you!

so a mark of 95 in general would in most cases equate to sumthing like 90 in 2 unit in terms of aligned marks?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
travalina said:
shut up eric bloody hell trying to bag me over a public forum u derrick lol, i hear vdm wants you!

so a mark of 95 in general would in most cases equate to sumthing like 90 in 2 unit in terms of aligned marks?
You should also note the % in state figure. A mark of 95 in general maths might scale the same as 90 in 2U but is harder to achieve.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Boxxxhead said:
In 2-unit maths, you're competing against more mathematically intellectual people, so a 90 in 2-unit would be worth a lot. In general maths, 95 may be a higher result but the overall candidature is lower. You wouldn't be competing against people of the same ability, resulting in your mark being scaled a bit lower.
Good point made there. I totally agree :)

Last edited:

Pierotte

HSC
I totally disagree with the do advances maths or no maths comment.

I dropped down to General just after half hearlies.

Best decision of my life.

Yes, i was very capeable of doing advanced maths. Friends who were at around the same level as me all got around 85 (give or take).

But in the end i got 98 in general. (HSC mark)

Much better than an 85 in adv. no matter how you look at it!!!

If you dont need maths for uni i advise you not to do it.

If you are capeable it is a shame to drop maths comepletely, so do general.

Chances are you will ace the course, have time to put more work into ur other subjects and its ALOT less stressfull!!

Im a major supporter of general maths, with alot less work it can scale alot better.

That being said DO NOT EVER drop to general maths if u think there is a possibility that you will slack off, not learn any content and get a 90 (or under!!)

Getting a good solid mark in advanced is the better choice.

Gonna get above 95 in general no probs? Then do it. But take into account silly errors, demented concepts and stuff u have to LEARN which will make no sense otherwise ( i did alot of study in stuvac for general maths, there was alot of obscure crap u just have to remeber, weather it makes sense or not)
Dont ever think "its general, i can ace it without even opening a book!! You wont.
Its possible to get an 85 without study, but thats not worth it.

Looking at a 75 in advanced? Well the choice is easy.

Although beware the immense boredom. I never went to any classes due to being bored shitless, the resulted in me having ALOT of work to do come HSC.

In the end speak to ur teachers, they will know whats best.

Seriously i think general maths scaled up my UAI a bit, because not many people get a 98 in general.

yeah ok. So inconclusion, if ur going to go badly in ANY subject scaling wont save you. EVER. its best to do subjects u know u will go well in.

( i should know, art, drama, adv eng, gen maths and chem, and i got over 90, vs friends who did extention subjects, and sciences and got in the 80's)

Mandy101

HSC
I'll make it really nice and simple:

I'm in a group of about 10 girls at school, and I was the only one who did General Maths - they all did 2Unit. We are all smart - we go to a selective school.

I got the highest UAI in my group - 99.00 - and everyone else's ranged between 91 - 98.05.

The lesson? If you think that you'll enjoy General more - do it! It's certainly not the end of the world, and I'm proof that you can get a great UAI despite doing it.

(I got a final mark of 93 in the subject)

P

pLuvia

Well whoever told you that you have to do maths is stupid. You don't have have to do maths to get a good UAI, there are many people who don't do maths and do really well.

In chemistry, there is hardly any maths, even if there is it's just substituting into the given equation. I don't think there is any in economics either. Doing Maths has nothing to do with chemistry and economics, if you feel comfortable not doing it then by all go for it :p

lizzygirl123

HSC
I was curious as to what was better in relation to the 2 unit course and extension 1.. scaling wise.

Stronsky

HSC
Hi guys im almost certain i want to drop 2 unit maths because i've got 13 units, its my worst subject by miles so its not going to count and im wasting valuable time sitting in class and doing the homework.
Im acing or can ace all my other subjects and i just need to know for certain if I drop maths altogether will i regret it?

Stronsky

Riviet

HSC
N/A
lizzygirl123 said:
I was curious as to what was better in relation to the 2 unit course and extension 1.. scaling wise.
Extension 1 scales better but you only be rewarded with it's scaling if you do well in it. ;)
Stronsky said:
Hi guys im almost certain i want to drop 2 unit maths because i've got 13 units, its my worst subject by miles so its not going to count and im wasting valuable time sitting in class and doing the homework.
Im acing or can ace all my other subjects and i just need to know for certain if I drop maths altogether will i regret it?

Stronsky
Looks like you won't regret it, it will only you waste your time if you spend a little bit of time on the subject, not performing well throughout the year, then ending up with it not counting towards your UAI, so you may as well drop it if you're confident with your other subjects. Good luck.

blueyez

HSC
i dropped 2u maths after 1st term yr 11 and went to general. im glad i did coz i found 2u too hard (yes i said too hard, not everyone is as smart as the 2u people) and general is better for me.

the only thing is, i heard for some courses at uni you need assumed knowledge 2u of maths, not including general maths, which could suck. lucky for me the courses im interested in dont require maths.

anyway is it better to come bottom of 2u or top of general?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
blueyez said:
anyway is it better to come bottom of 2u or top of general?
Top of general maths>Bottom of 2u

Remember that 2u scaling is not that much better than general, but you shouldn't be deciding what to drop by how subjects scale in comparison. Ranks are important as well, so being in the bottom few ranks can severely hurt your mark and UAI as a result. Being the top in a subject is the way to go.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
it comes down to what kind of UAI u want to achieve. ( you could get a high 99 uai with general maths, but if u combine that with standard english and other lower scaling subjects, basicly a uai of 100 becomes impossible because of the maximum mark restrictions)

a 98 in general maths is pretty hard,
like it doesn't require just talents to get a mark like that.

like i got 93 in 4unit, and i would not trust that i could get 98 in general maths, purely because of the fact that for a 98 you pretty much need to get 98/100 in the exam.
There are alot of errors you can easily make.

but then again:
i had a friend, that in intermediate maths he used to always get at least 97% or 98% then when he went to advanced he got like 13% or so.
It was the same with 2unit and general for him. It just depends what kind of person you are. Until a certain level, if he could do it he was really good, but beyond that point, he pretty much sucked. (don't get me wrong, he is a pretty smart guy, just algebra wasn't his forte)

basicly, u gotta know what uni course u wanna do (if its engineering or like any science course - then u need at least 2unit) otherwize do general (or no maths at all)

if u have the ability, it is much easier to get a mark in 2unit that aquires a better mark for your uai than it is to get in general.
But if you are failing, dropping down to general will be the best thing u've ever done

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)