• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

General or mathematics?? (1 Viewer)

claire~

HSC
hellooo everyone! im sooo confused...dont know if i should drop to general maths?? im currently doin 3u maths, standard eng, chemistry, economics and legal studies, but im thinkin of droppin ext 1 maths n do just 2u. But im considerin of also droppin 2u n do general maths??? maybe that'll give me a even higher uai??? but i heard that it scales down heaps!! is this true?? any suggestions???

P

pLuvia

Many university courses have assumed knowledge of at least 2u mathematics, general would not be sufficient. But it does scale down, but if you do well scaling won't affect as much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monstar

HSC
keep at 3 unit.. it sorta like tutoring for 2 unit adv. All that hardwork in 3 unit eventually shows in 2 unit

Riviet

HSC
N/A
You said you were considering dropping from 3 unit to only 2 unit to general. This would suggest that you aren't coping well in 3 unit. From that, it would seem better to drop down to at least 2 unit. Consider your performance in 2 unit alone; if you believe you're doing fine in 2 unit but not following well in 3 unit, then dropping would probably be a good idea.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
i reckon that if your doing general maths, you shouldn't do maths at all. it was stupid of me to pick it. what i would do to drop it now lol.

claire~

HSC
hmm.....but i also heard that the max band u can get for general maths is 5. so wat happens if someone achieves in da 90s...?? would they neglect that and only count 89? seeming thats the highest for band 5.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
claire~ said:
hmm.....but i also heard that the max band u can get for general maths is 5. so wat happens if someone achieves in da 90s...?? would they neglect that and only count 89? seeming thats the highest for band 5.
i think your thinking about english standard as their have only been a handful of students to get band 6 ! there was like 4.37% who got band 6 in general maths last year

gracie007

HSC
claire~ said:

what? dont be silly, of course you can get a band 6 for maths. you can get a band 6 in any subject, no matter how hard or easy it may seem. why would the band 6 even exist if you couldnt get it?

claire~

HSC
Then wats the point of doing hard maths when they can just do general maths n achieve band 6?? there must be some sort of limit, or else its too lenient. but wat............... =s

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
claire~ said:
Then wats the point of doing hard maths when they can just do general maths n achieve band 6?? there must be some sort of limit, or else its too lenient. but wat............... =s
Because:

1. They want a challenge
2. It's assumed knowledge or a prerequisite for a uni course
3. They'd fall asleep in General and it'd be a waste of time
4. All the class twats are in General (well, they are at my school anyway :p)

I_F

MrMe

Your Bestest Best Friend
HSC
Bookie said:
calculators are invented, you dont need to do general.
Thank you!!!! i havn't laughed so hard in a long time!!!!!

BTW don't do general! you might as well do nothing before general

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
claire~ said:
In General a 100 would scale down to below what a 90 is in 4u iirc, and it'd be easier to acheive the latter than the former.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)