General Parametric Equations (1 Viewer)

Managore

HSC
Okay I hate this chapter, to me it makes no sense whatsoever. I can create the cartesian equation from two x= and y= equations of course, but I can not understand the tangents to points P, Q, and anything like that. Could someone give me some general tips or a brief explanation?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Know how to differentiate.....

I'm done.

Managore

HSC
Umm.. that'll help me find their gradients.. then would I use y-y1=m(x-x1) or are there other tips/tricks/etc I can do?

smallcattle

HSC
tangent to P and Q???

just find the gradient of the curve, sub in the x in P or Q, then use point gradient formula to get the equation of the tangent of the curve at P or Q???

Managore

HSC
Yes, of course I know how to find locuses.. I just never understood how using a third dynamic term worked.

Managore

HSC
uhh it depends on the given information. eg they give you directrix and focus, and you find a and the vertex and sub into

(x-h)^2=4a(y-k) where the vertex is (h, k)

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
They're the words I am looking for :)

Ok, so if I were to say to you, P(2ap,ap<sup>2</sup>) and Q(2aq,aq<sup>2</sup>) are two points on the parabola x<sup>2</sup> = 4ay, find the locus of the path traced by the intersecting normals corresponding to each point if the normal at P goes through the point S(0,a), could you find the locus?

Last edited:

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
find the equations of each normal, then find a by itelf on each normal, and solve them simultaneously.

I think.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
You would find the point of intersection of the two normals, using simultaneous equations. The points would include ps and qs in them, and you don't want that if you are trying to get the locus.
You would then substitute the point (0,a) into the equation of the normal through P, and get an expression for p. Sub that into your intersection point, and you now have the intersection point in terms of q and a, which is good since a is a constant.

You then say x = the x coordinate (in terms of q and a) and y = the y coordinate (in terms of q and a) then solve them simultaneously, eliminating q, which gives you the cartesian equation of the locus.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
P.S. Don't try to do this question, it was just something I made up on the spot and since the normal through P is a fixed line the locus of the intersection is obviously the the fixed line. As such, it shouldn't be taken seriously ;)

Managore

HSC
oh.. dear.. god.. I am going to fail. Is that the only question type they'll give us? or are there a variety of nonsensical questions like that one?

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
They won't give you a question in a big block like that, chances are they'll put it in parts, like (i) could be find the equation of the normals, (ii) could be find their intersection point, (iii) could be given a bit of info, find the locus of the intersection.

P.S, a reminder that it is a dodgy question so don't attempt to do it (although the locus is x = 0)

smallcattle

HSC
what is locus???? isnt locus the point where the vertex of the parabola +- the focal length??

Managore

HSC
thats focus.. locus is the parapola.. a locus is something that satisfies given criteria (eg equidistant from a line and focus)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)