General Programming Thread (1 Viewer)

Yakult1

HSC
Created a messenger type application with Python for an assignment this term with a server and many clients. Also had to implement p2p messaging between clients. This was all done using socket programming. It wasn’t really difficult and tbh programming has kinda become mundane and boring to me. I much prefer Cybersecurity.
Yeah i've kind of had the same realisation with programming, seeing it as a means to an end rather than something I actively enjoy doing. Still, I do like creating new things its just I've gotten way more into the theory and the "why" of how computers do what they do. How is the cybersec major at UNSW btw? Seems very interesting to me.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah i've kind of had the same realisation with programming, seeing it as a means to an end rather than something I actively enjoy doing. Still, I do like creating new things its just I've gotten way more into the theory and the "why" of how computers do what they do. How is the cybersec major at UNSW btw? Seems very interesting to me.
I love this major. It has some very challenging courses that are also really interesting. All the lecturers and tutors aren’t uni academics but are all currently working in Cybersecurity, so the lectures and tutes usually start at like 6pm after they get off work.

Yakult1

HSC
I love this major. It has some very challenging courses that are also really interesting. All the lecturers and tutors aren’t uni academics but are all currently working in Cybersecurity, so the lecturers and tutes usually start at like 6pm after they get off work.
Thats so nice, I love the idea of later hours. What did you think of Comp1151? Do you think it's difficult do get a HD? Sorry for so many questions I'm just worried about WAM going into uni because I would like to do honours and am scared I wont maintain a good enough WAM...

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Thats so nice, I love the idea of later hours. What did you think of Comp1151? Do you think it's difficult do get a HD? Sorry for so many questions I'm just worried about WAM going into uni because I would like to do honours and am scared I wont maintain a good enough WAM...
I found it easy but I already had some programming experience before doing it. If you have zero experience you will definitely have to work hard to get a HD. If you have experience already getting a HD is definitely something you can get without worrying too much.

vivillon

HSC
I'm planning on going to UNSW but if I dont get in then I'll just take my UTS offer and transfer. Cybersec is really cool and if you do pursue it, UNSW has a major called "Security Engineering" which is all about cyber security. This is taken from the handbook:

USYD is a solid choice as well and that Design Computing degree seems to fit your interests perfectly. For me I plan on going down the research route and have a huge interest in computational theory and mathematical applications in computer science. My plan is to do:

Double Bachelors degree: BSc Advanced Mathematics (Hons) / BSc (Comp. Sci) @ UNSW → PhD @ UNSW

Im not sure if you have to do a masters before a PhD in Australia but I've seen people who have done an honours degree then moved straight into PhD's so hopefully I could do the same. So yeah thats my plans for the future, do you know what you want to do with your degree or are you still a bit uncertain?
That's so cool! Being honest, I have no idea what I want to do after university, all I really know is I'd like to do something involving design and programming. Right now, I really like the idea of being a UX Designer/Product Designer or something within that realm but other than that, I have noo idea D: If I don't get into either UNSW or USYD, I plan on taking my UTS offer as well and transferring the next year. I'm also kind of intrigued by the idea of starting a start-up lol, I feel like it'd be a really fun yet challenging experience but maybe I'm thinking too fondly of it lmao. What made you want to get into the research side of cs ?

Yakult1

HSC
That's so cool! Being honest, I have no idea what I want to do after university, all I really know is I'd like to do something involving design and programming. Right now, I really like the idea of being a UX Designer/Product Designer or something within that realm but other than that, I have noo idea D: If I don't get into either UNSW or USYD, I plan on taking my UTS offer as well and transferring the next year. I'm also kind of intrigued by the idea of starting a start-up lol, I feel like it'd be a really fun yet challenging experience but maybe I'm thinking too fondly of it lmao. What made you want to get into the research side of cs ?
I think getting burnt out of programming made me look for deeper meaning in what I was doing. I'm no longer interested in just writing syntax for the sake of it, I've now taken my interests to why specifically my syntax does what it does, and how the mathematical applications in computer science facilitate these processes. I guess a natural path for me to pursue this train of thought is in research, where I can answer my questions whilst also aiding the industry through new developments in the field of computer science. Startups seem like a very prosperous yet risky business, do you have any particular ideas you would like to build upon in a startup project?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I think getting burnt out of programming made me look for deeper meaning in what I was doing. I'm no longer interested in just writing syntax for the sake of it, I've now taken my interests to why specifically my syntax does what it does, and how the mathematical applications in computer science facilitate these processes.
Yeah, specific syntax and "programming" becomes routine after a while. It's only interesting if you are comparing language design and features across languages.

In industry, it's more about software engineering than just programming. Rather than code, the focus starts to become about the non-functional attributes of your software - how maintainable, extensible, scalable, robust, fast and secure it is. Some of those concerns are of more interest to certain industries than others. So then you start thinking about things like design (of code), testing, performance and maybe even how the software is deployed.

Research is really broad as it depends on your research interest, some might be about code itself but most would be at higher or lower levels of abstraction.

vivillon

HSC
I think getting burnt out of programming made me look for deeper meaning in what I was doing. I'm no longer interested in just writing syntax for the sake of it, I've now taken my interests to why specifically my syntax does what it does, and how the mathematical applications in computer science facilitate these processes. I guess a natural path for me to pursue this train of thought is in research, where I can answer my questions whilst also aiding the industry through new developments in the field of computer science. Startups seem like a very prosperous yet risky business, do you have any particular ideas you would like to build upon in a startup project?
I feel like I'm the opposite to you since I just really like programming itself (not saying you dont) but understanding the meaning behind these processes is something I've never really thought about (probs since I haven't been programming or studying computer science for very long)
In terms of startups, I'd like to create oppotunities for younger kids who really enjoy coding and want to be technologically literate. My concept is very simple right now but I'd really like to create a free/subsidized program, service etc. that provides kids and teenagers with the resources they need to program, video edit and more. Hopefully once I enter uni I can think about it more but for now, that's my basic idea, it's a huge goal as well so I don't even know if I'll be able to achieve it + making it something that stands out from the rest of learning programs like grok learning and etc. IK it's a really far out/unreachable (sorta) idea but I like to dream and think a lot so that's my concept lol.

Porogamiii

HSC
Anyone doing advent of code this year? (https://adventofcode.com/2021). Just found out about it today and trying to catch up (on day 4 so far). It's pretty fun and challenging, and you don't need any specified comp sci theory (atleast so far), just basic data structures (like lists/arrays and dictionaries) and problem-solving skills. Definitely recommend it, even if you don't finish before Christmas!

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Created a messenger type application with Python for an assignment this term with a server and many clients. Also had to implement p2p messaging between clients. This was all done using socket programming. It wasn’t really difficult and tbh programming has kinda become mundane and boring to me. I much prefer Cybersecurity.
What are you planning to become? Pen tester..? Analyst?

sab13562

HSC
Thank you for starting this thread. I plan to start learning programming during the holidays and the resources here are great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)