• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

general query on internal marks (1 Viewer)

louisandpie

HSC
N/A
Hello guys,
I have spent a few hours reading up on about how my internal marks are used in calculating my HSC mark / ATAR.

I haven't had the best of years so far - my marks are pretty average, mostly 70s.

I have 3 subjects top 10 rank, the rest top 25. ( 10 units)

If I do well in the HSC exams (say 80+) how will this translate into an ATAR

I do:
Ancient -rank 6/24, average 79%
legal, - rank 4/23, average 82%
G. Maths - rank 25/ 56, average 65% - Failed my 25% assessment task, as did my whole class as our douche lord teacher went on leave.
Extension history - rank 4/4, average 65% (hate it, but will try for externals :)
Adv. English - rank 15/ 24 average 69%
SOR rank 24/64, average 78%

School - ranked around 160, strong classes with a few drop kicks (doesn't hand in tasks)
So if I go well in the HSC, what do you guys reckon I can bring my Atar up too, in year 11, I was ranked top 3 in everything with averages in the 90% so I believe if I knuckle down I can get some nice external scores - the issues affecting my current marks have been addressed.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
What you want to do is maximize your rank internally, your externals affect your ATAR but not as much as your ranks would, so try and make them better.

louisandpie

HSC
N/A
ok sweet,
what do you guys reckon my Atar would be thus far however? - I only want 60 for my desired course (social work at CSU - love the country :D)

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
ok sweet,
what do you guys reckon my Atar would be thus far however? - I only want 60 for my desired course (social work at CSU - love the country :D)
I don't really know where you're sitting, but I definitely won't be studying if my ATAR aim was 60 lol. You'll get it easy

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
ok sweet,
I'd say you're looking at around 67-68. Keep it up.

Focus on having rank goals, not mark goals, because in the broader scheme of things, the mark means very little (i.e. only to be moderated to equalize the state).

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I so can't believe that o_O
It's actually true.

It's just like saying you go to James Ruse and you're in the middle of your cohort, therefore your ATAR will be around the 99.10 mark, whereas in a low ranked school (500+), that would be like 40 lol. (obviously depending on the individual circumstances)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)