General Questions About Business/Commerce Bachelor (1 Viewer)

auraflux7

HSC
Is 2 unit maths a prerequisite for this subject? Is it even recommended?
I did General Maths, but in my opinion it relates to accounting more, as
2 unit relates more to engineering and stuff. I have received an offer
and was going to accept it. But am now thinking of not doing it as I only
did general maths. Anybody got any information that could be useful? thanks.

Snooty

HSC
General Maths will suffice for business. You could always take a bridging course in maths if you wanted but i dont really think its necessary. The most math you'll do will probably be in economics and statistics units and both are fairly easy to pick up.

auraflux7

HSC
lol thanks for that man, made me feel a whole lot better.
like other people, i fkn h8 maths lol, so idk about the briding course..
anybody else?

auraflux7

HSC
lol so do you think 2 unit hsc mathematics is essential for business/commerce?
All my career advisers told me that general mathematics is better for business/commerce, because it deals more with numbers and stuff.
Fuck i don't want to do a bridging course but i will if i HAVE to.
Has anybody got any experience in this area? perhaps a current or former student?

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hi There,
There are no pre-requisites (as in entry not granted unless you have not completed relevant HSC subjects) but some courses have assumed knowledge / recommended studies because they will teach the course assuming that you have a certain level of understanding or competency in the subject area.
I study BBC at UWS and only did 2 unit maths and I was fine. It's different to HSC maths, I hated maths in school but weirdly enjoyed it at uni probably because it is applied maths which makes it more relevant and interesting. There are a few core subjects that involve maths in the BBC course like stats, accounting and economics. There is a mathematics test that you may need to sit to prove your level of competency, and if you don't reach a certain score you need to complete a subject called Mathematics Toolbox which will bring you up to speed. More info on this unit can be found here: http://handbook.uws.edu.au/hbook/unit.aspx?unit=300589.1

I hope this helps. If you want to talk to a current student in the BBC call the UWS Course Information Centre on 1800 897 669. I am a current student in BBC and there are a few others, we would be happy to have a chat with you.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I did general. 2U isn't a prerequisite, so the bridging course isn't necessary... though you'll have a better grasp of the stats components if you do.
For me, I cbf, there's no way I can get to the bridging course so I'll wing it.
It's only applied maths after all.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
The BBC course has pretty much nothing to do with the technical side of math. Just as long as you can add and subtract, you should be fine.

The ONLY exception here, is one core subject called Statistics. That is the only actual math you will do in the entire degree. It's definitely pass-able for anyone if they work hard, but apparently, now they make you do a little general knowledge math exam before undertaking that subject. So you should brush up on your math skills somewhat.

Otherwise, the BBC program is pretty much being able to memorise chuncks of information from textbooks, and being able to efficiently bluff your way through exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)