General questions about engineering Please help!! (1 Viewer)

Opportunistic

HSC
No, "fundamentals" at UNSW are probably different to fundamentals at UTS. That course is generally for students who intend on transferring to engineering or science but don't have the necessary HSC maths understanding. Any student who is doing engineering should not take that course. A bridging course is more appropriate.

The average 2U student will probably get a HSC mark of around 80. You will need a better level of understanding than that, considering Ext 1 is assumed and Ext 2 is recommended. The average 2U student, on face value, would not be able to cope with the level of maths in engineering. If you fail maths, you must repeat it. You will obviously be behind your starting cohort, be in more debt and you'll probably feel bad.

If you work hard to build your understanding of maths, even try to understand Ext 1 and 2 concepts before uni begins, you will definitely find it less foreign when lecturers begin with Ext 2 stuff on the first day.
Thanks for answering! Do you mind pointing me in the right direction by telling me the topics in Ext 1 and Ext 2 that I need to learn?

D94

HSC
N/A
Fair enough, it seemed similar from the site. Though I don't really see the difference between a student transferring without the necessary knowledge and a student starting without the necessary knowledge, unless it's a "wam booster".x
Fair point. What you said can be done, but at this point in time, there's no reason why those HSC students can't look at the relevant MX1 and MX2 topics. Had the question been asked the week before uni begins, your suggestion might be better.

Thanks for answering! Do you mind pointing me in the right direction by telling me the topics in Ext 1 and Ext 2 that I need to learn?
Topics from HSC:

MX1:

Further Trigonometry
Polynomials
Methods of Integration
Primitive of sin2x and cos2x
Inverse functions and inverse trigonometric functions
Induction
Logarithms/Exponentials

MX2:

Graphs
Complex Numbers
Integration
Polynomials

Implicit Differentiation

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Topics from HSC:

MX1:

Further Trigonometry
Polynomials
Methods of Integration
Induction
Logarithms/Exponentials

MX2:

Graphs
Complex Numbers
Integration
Polynomials

Implicit Differentiation
Stop scaring me, only 3u is recommended not 4u :(

ismeta

HSC
Stop scaring me, only 3u is recommended not 4u :(
You'll still do just fine with only 3U :) 4U helps, that's all. If you were really worried about it you can have a look at those 4U topics.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
You'll still do just fine with only 3U :) 4U helps, that's all. If you were really worried about it you can have a look at those 4U topics.
Yeah...If I did 3u I wouldn't be worrying...but the thing is I do 2u.

There's a lot of recommended stuff so I'm assuming that 4u is recommended for certain courses? Doesn't matter either way I'll just try and catch up to 4u in holidays/uni.

Opportunistic

HSC
Fair point. What you said can be done, but at this point in time, there's no reason why those HSC students can't look at the relevant MX1 and MX2 topics. Had the question been asked the week before uni begins, your suggestion might be better.

Topics from HSC:

MX1:

Further Trigonometry
Polynomials
Methods of Integration
Induction
Logarithms/Exponentials

MX2:

Graphs
Complex Numbers
Integration
Polynomials

Implicit Differentiation
And these are all topics that are relevant to mathematics in engineering, I presume? Also, is it recommended that I take a bridging course? Others have said that the bridging courses are a waste of time and money. Is this true?

Opportunistic

HSC
Also, if I were to receive an ATAR under 91 or whatever the cut-off will be, will the university consider me for flexible entry if I haven't done Ext 1 Maths, seeing that they will only consider flexible entry based on results of relevant subjects to the course?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Also, if I were to receive an ATAR under 91 or whatever the cut-off will be, will the university consider me for flexible entry if I haven't done Ext 1 Maths, seeing that they will only consider flexible entry based on results of relevant subjects to the course?
They will consider you for the HSC plus points if you did good in Chem, Phys, 2u maths iirc.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
I'm in 4u and I dislike the idea of engineering in uni because of its mathematical difficulty.

But sure, standard mathematics should be fine.

Ill just ask one thing; considering 80% Raws are enough across your given subjects for an overall of 91- and you aren't confident about passing that hurdle- how are you going to get through the infinitely more difficult engineering subjects? I've heard they go through most of the 4u course in a single semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)