General Questions About WAM/GPA (1 Viewer)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Hi Everyone,

So I'm a first year B Bus/B Law student and I'm hearing a lot of talk about WAM/GPA from my friendship circles as the first semester has ended but none of us seem to have a secure idea of what they are or how they are calculated at UTS. I know that they stand for weighted average mark and grade point average but as I said, I have no idea of the full extent of their significance. I've also heard arguments over whether first year subjects have equal weighting as last year subjects on the WAM/GPA.

I was just wondering if anyone could fill me in here?

Thanks in advance!

P.S: If everything has gone according to expected, I should have 2 HDs, 1 Distinction and 1 Credit at the end of this semester. I've heard that even having 1 Credit subject has the capacity to "ruin" the WAM/GPA. Is this true?

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi Everyone,

So I'm a first year B Bus/B Law student and I'm hearing a lot of talk about WAM/GPA from my friendship circles as the first semester has ended but none of us seem to have a secure idea of what they are or how they are calculated at UTS. I know that they stand for weighted average mark and grade point average but as I said, I have no idea of the full extent of their significance. I've also heard arguments over whether first year subjects have equal weighting as last year subjects on the WAM/GPA.

I was just wondering if anyone could fill me in here?

Thanks in advance!

P.S: If everything has gone according to expected, I should have 2 HDs, 1 Distinction and 1 Credit at the end of this semester. I've heard that even having 1 Credit subject has the capacity to "ruin" the WAM/GPA. Is this true?
Well according to the information you've provided, you'd be sitting on a 3.5 GPA (Distinction Average) for this semester.

In terms of WAM calculations...it's basically the average of your marks for all subjects in that semester..

As for Credit subjects ruining your GPA, well that depends on your goals...and yes, it would slightly drag down your WAM.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Well according to the information you've provided, you'd be sitting on a 3.5 GPA (Distinction Average) for this semester.

In terms of WAM calculations...it's basically the average of your marks for all subjects in that semester..

As for Credit subjects ruining your GPA, well that depends on your goals...and yes, it would slightly drag down your WAM.
I'm unsure of how you got 3.5. Are there set numbers for each P, C, D, HD you get?

builder2818

HSC

I don't think WAM is an average of all your marks......different subjects have different weightings. I got a low distinction in one subject and a very high HD in another and I made the Deans List for 2012 which is supposed to be the top 2% of students.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think WAM is an average of all your marks......different subjects have different weightings. I got a low distinction in one subject and a very high HD in another and I made the Deans List for 2012 which is supposed to be the top 2% of students.
The only thing WAM has weightings for is how many credit points a particular unit is worth.

Otherwise, it's a standardised measure.

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
What a beast! was expecting 4 HD's though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)