General Thoughts - Ancient History (1 Viewer)

lonlonlon

HSC
patchy20 said:
i did the fall of the republic and caesar. and...erm..."why did the republic fall"? or whatever the question was....is that even a question lol! no thinking required there. but now saying that i probably screwed it up lol.
but overall an enjoyable exam, pompey last question threw me off a bit...had to bullsiht.
So you did "Why did the republic fall"?
Yes it was fairly open ended. I thought the Pompey question was the other option for that section though?

That was exactly why I didn't do Pompey... I read the question and thought
What accomplishments?

Hermes3

HSC
Overall - it was... ok! better than I expected.. Smiled to myself when read questions for section 3 and 4. :)

I did :
1. Pompeii - mm, all was good, except the one about the water system!. last question I loved, even though all names of Italian archaeologists dissapeared from my memory :bomb:

2. NKE Society to Amenhotep III

did anyone else fo this topic?
a) and b) were easy, but 'leisure activities of the nobles"... :confused: and muumification......:burn:

3. Hatshepsut - very nice question, hoewever for first part I had so much to write so probably I lost some important points!..:jedi:

4. NKE Thutmose IV -
military campaigns, very good question, I reckon :)

wrote 6+ pages each one

braddio

HSC
I thought it was pretty gooood!!

I especially liked the minoan section... i thought it was REALLY easy... :)

I liked the pompeii and herc. religion and water qtns BUT the last question had been basically asked b4 so i studied it in less detail... lucky i knew it quite well...

Hatshepsut (a) had been asked b4... the exact question... all that changed was the marks it was worth and the word asses to describe... i thought they wouldnt ask it AGAIN...

section 4 for greece 500-440 was average... i did the naval question as i didnt know much bout artemesiam guy...

overall i thought i did goooooood!!! hopefully band 6...!!!

^emmie^

HSC
Hermes3 said:
2. NKE Society to Amenhotep III
3. Hatshepsut - v
4. NKE Thutmose IV -
how do u do so many Eygpt topics dont u have to do like 3 diffent places u only do two ie rome and eygpt i dont think this is alowed it says somethin bout it in the syllabus???

fishy89sg

HSC
^emmie^ said:
how do u do so many Eygpt topics dont u have to do like 3 diffent places u only do two ie rome and eygpt i dont think this is alowed it says somethin bout it in the syllabus???
no. i think the minimum is 2

Hermes3

HSC
^emmie^ said:
no, you have to do 2 different societies, and core study - pompeii herculaneum is considered as one of them :):) my lovely teacher adviced us to choose all egypt, and all - same time period :)

cbrunero

HSC
Hey i do the exact same topics as you, wat essay question did u pick for the historical period?. i did the reasons for the fall of the republic. what did you think of the Caesar questions i wrote too much for the 10marker and not sure if i did enough of the assess for the 15marker. I hated sparta but what can u do?

simonelye

Simone.
HSC
Okay.
I Honestly too do not see how it is possible to get a band 6 by leaving early. Thats bullshit. im assessed second. and All us top ten kids wrote the entire exam! To have well planned, well answered, detailed responses you cannot leave early and still expect a band 6.
it is stupid.

Oh and how can you not have known to ask for more paper?
Every single guidelines from the marking centre have said 'many opted to go to an extra book' and such.
I filled almost an extra 2 books for pompeii.
i mean 10 marks on archaologists cannot hardly come from a page and a half unless you write teeny.
which not many people do.
You should have just asked your supervisors for more paper.
Honestly.
most schools are taught that.
I dont know why yours didnt.

=/

Oh well.
Ancients overrrr
thought i was gunna be sick this morning
cos of nerves.
But survived
=]

cbrunero

HSC
lonlonlon said:
Pretty good exam, nothing especially shocking.
The questions in the extended sections were very close to the main things we studied, which was handy.
I did section 1 last so it threw me a bit, the changing methodology of archaeology was not somethign we studied.

Oh I do
Section 2: Sparta
Section 3: Caesar
Section 4: Fall of the republic

Anybody else do Rome or Caesar?
Hey i do the exact same topics as you, wat essay question did u pick for the historical period?. i did the reasons for the fall of the republic. what did you think of the Caesar questions i wrote too much for the 10marker and not sure if i did enough of the assess for the 15marker. I hated sparta but what can u do?

sally13579

HSC
theprettiestsin said:
pomp and herc was really easy woooh so glad:)
minoans was sweet
akhentan was fine
and assyrians was not expecting sargon II BUT chose the other question managed to write lots yaay

YAYAYAY I LOVE YOU CHAR!! i was like no way did anyone do assyrians haha

anyway i agree it was all good and i also agree with that other person who said that you cant finish an hour and a half early and expect a band six soorrryyyy just doesnt work that way unless you have mechanical arms or something psycho like that. didnt mean to burst your bubble you seemed pretty excited id start to prepare for the worst if i were you

cucum3rs

Queen Of The World
HSC
simonelye said:

Oh and how can you not have known to ask for more paper?
Every single guidelines from the marking centre have said 'many opted to go to an extra book' and such.
I filled almost an extra 2 books for pompeii.
i mean 10 marks on archaologists cannot hardly come from a page and a half unless you write teeny.
which not many people do.
You should have just asked your supervisors for more paper.
Honestly.
most schools are taught that.
I dont know why yours didnt.

=/

the marking guidelines do state that many opted for extra booklets, but no where do they state that those who only used what was given to them couldnt get full marks or anything. i think the purpose of them giving you that specific amount of space, is because thats how much they expect you to write. if they wanted you to write more, wouldnt they just give you extra lines?

and ditto leaving early. the exam is suppose to take you three hours, and they give that that time to maximise your marks. how is it possible for someone to constructively, consicely and articulately put all their thoughts to paper in an hour... maybe hes a robot.

simonelye

Simone.
HSC
cucum3rs said:
the marking guidelines do state that many opted for extra booklets, but no where do they state that those who only used what was given to them couldnt get full marks or anything. i think the purpose of them giving you that specific amount of space, is because thats how much they expect you to write. if they wanted you to write more, wouldnt they just give you extra lines?

and ditto leaving early. the exam is suppose to take you three hours, and they give that that time to maximise your marks. how is it possible for someone to constructively, consicely and articulately put all their thoughts to paper in an hour... maybe hes a robot.

Oh i didnt mean that you had to use extra paper for full marks.
But if you write big like me
then you do lol
But i dont understand how and why people didnt ask for extra paper.
Seriously!
Maybe some people are robots.
i would love their brains
to do a three hour exam in 1.5 or 2 hours early.
i dont possibly see how they will get a decent mark or a band 6 like they say!
but i guess we'll see lol.

cupid4u

HSC
Everyone else has said they found it easy... but i thought it was quite hard.
some of the questions were completly off the bat...
alexander the great and his relationship with the macedonians?? wtf
spartan festivals? wtf

I wrote karnia instead of the proper spelling.... and i couldent remember the other festivals.
stupid textbook doesnt even have them in their... i only remember because i thank god wrote an assingment on them.
my teacher is so slack... he basically gave us all the spartan dot points and told us to pick one and do an assingment on it... instead of teaching us... and he said it would be "benificial" to write assingments on the tohers as well.... even though it wasnt gonig to get marked.
he did the same with rome... so i only did the first punic war. lucky i got my friend to give me an outline of the 2nd war before gonig into the exam room.
i fluked it.

ahhh i suppose i survived even if we didnt learn anything all year.

the CSSA trial questions were eerily on the bat with some questioins.

fishy89sg

HSC
general thoughts:

im expecting about

20 section 1
15 section 2
20 section 3
15 section 4

navelj

HSC
^emmie^ said:
i thought u were only alowed to write in the space provided that sucks i could have wrote way more

im not being mean to u but i think this is unfair cause im sure allot of people didnt no this either
Hello - your teachers must be devoid of learning - what happened???? Our teachers said you should always write more than the provided space, because although they say you can get full marks by writing in the provided space, they usually only have a few who can cram it in the space >> you should at least write a few extra pages. PS: I feel sorry for you then, it is unfair, but you could have asked the examiner.

delyall

HSC
I havent seen one person mention anything about a Greek world 500-440BC historical period. If there is someone speak up! lol i think i did okay i chose the navy question over the Delian league one. I also did Xerxes and Persian society. Anyone else do these?

lonlonlon

HSC
cbrunero said:
I did fall of the republic, which was generally a good question in that we could pretty much answer it our own way IMO.

Caesar questions were pretty nice, although from our teacher we had been led to expect that we would get a family background question for part a.
I wrote a fair bit for section a as well dont worry, section b was too hard to go into that much detail seeing as I only really focused on his achievements at the civil war and the campaigns in Gaul, Alissia etc. and you couldn't focus on all his achievements militarily in a single essay.

I hated Sparta but thought it would be the easiest section to remember, it turned out that Sparta and p/h caught me the most of guard though.

hayleeat

HSC
which question did people pick for sec four - AIII to death of R

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)