General Thoughts - Ancient History (1 Viewer)

Blobulator

HSC
Thought it was a pretty decent test on the whole. Pompeii was easy enough. Old Kingdom Egypt I chose the 'Religious Beliefs' question which was nice and broad. Old Kingdom Society the questions weren't bad, aside from the one on wall reliefs themselves, rather than what they depict - that threw me a bit, but still managed to get a load on it.

Only regret not managing my time better for Agrippina. Questions were easy enough, I just had to rush them cause of my own time problems. Otherwise it was a pretty good exam imo.

Edit: Also what's with all these people who have no idea what a Fullery is? Geez, I thought that question was so straightforward...

Last edited:

TeganCasey

HSC
Edit: Also what's with all these people who have no idea what a Fullery is? Geez, I thought that question was so straightforward...
The question itself was pretty good, just knowing what a fullery was would have helped some, because I know i've lost marks by not referring to it. i know some people in my year said it was a butcher or something... and that makes me feel better because then i obiously wasn't the only one who didn't know what it was. I didn't mention that source at all!

Last edited:

Blobulator

HSC
The question itself was pretty good, just knowing what a fullery was would have helped some, because i didn't use that source. i know some people in my year said it was a butcher or something... I didn't mention that source at all!
Yeah um... a Fullery isn't a butcher. As far as I recall it's a place where they removed stains from clothing from soaking it in an ammonia solution derived from stale urine or something. That's what the big tub in the source was for.

...no offense to anyone in this thread but until now I'd assumed fulleries were pretty common knowledge. Everyone in my class knew what it was at least.

TeganCasey

HSC
Yeah um... a Fullery isn't a butcher. As far as I recall it's a place where they removed stains from clothing from soaking it in an ammonia solution derived from stale urine or something. That's what the big tub in the source was for.

...no offense to anyone in this thread but until now I'd assumed fulleries were pretty common knowledge. Everyone in my class knew what it was at least.
yep, and i knew that a fullery had nothing to do with meat..it sounded familiar, but i couldn't quite place it.

TeganCasey

HSC
Old Kingdom Society the questions weren't bad, aside from the one on wall reliefs themselves, rather than what they depict - that threw me a bit, but still managed to get a load on it.

i thought the wall relief question was pretty good... hopefully the markers aren't going to be expecting too much!

.isabellus

HSC
Pomp and Herc- alright, tourism was a bit of a bitchMinoans- epic winGreekworld 500-440 - not as bad as i thoughtXerxes- was easy, but still managed to eff it up
Agree ... I completely blanked for foreign policy of Xerxes. When I looked at my notes afterwards I realised it was all about preparations for the Greco-Persian wars, fml I wrote like 10 lines on that. Bye bye band 6 ..

Starless

HSC
I found the test ridiculously easy? Pompeii was pretty straightfroward, Sparta was our Trial except for the economy question, Tiberius Gracchus was a lot more straightforward than any of the past exams and Roman Revolution was two thematic, which is what I am quite good at. I'm thinking at least 83+?

rachierach

HSC
It was great!
So much better than I expected, was getting kinda nervous about what the question would be but after reading time I was smiling.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
i thought i did pretty well but reading on what you guys wrote i suddenly feel like shit and am not anticipating my mark back, lol.

S o r - P o r

HSC
I was so happy with the exam, my friends and i were just exchanging happy faces when we read the questions.

this will definitely pull my marks back up, but the last section was kind of hard. I couldnt decide which question was better and I regretted it in the last five minutes.

tku336

HSC
Went meh. Probably lost 2 marks on tourism, another two on the last question of athens, messed up time and had 30 minutes for essay. Looking at low 90s probably.

BreBre91

HSC
Pompeii and Herc= Not bad
Sparta= Excellent but its always my best
Xerxes= Lots of sources not much density but 'early career' not in syllabus so i assumed it was the revolts and prep for invasion and actual invasion of Greece.
Greece 500-440= Yay! Themistocles lacking in the sources department but heaps of information and heaps good to argue how he contributed the most I always had a thing for Themistocles :uhhuh:

Book Freak

Whovian
HSC
It wasn't the best but I was expecting sooo much worse. At this rate, I could pull a band six! :) Thank god for Themistocles.
ooohhh, you did Themistocles, i didn't study him enough so I did the DL essay, I recon band 5-6 *fingers crossed*

mr-g

HSC
N/A
Yeah I looked at some sections and thought, sooo glad that's not me. Caesar, Sparta and Greek World with Themistocles were great! Pomp and Herc was a tad bizarre ... but could have been worse.

Smile_Time351

HSC
Went pretty damn well overall.
Pompeii questions were a little unexpected but not hard: industry is varied enough to allow for breadth of answers and tourism basically covers everything under conservation, preservation etc.
Persia was awesome: almost identical to the trial we had, and scaling role of women down to a 4 mark question made everything alot easier
Xerxes also awesome: content heavy questions normally suck, but the foreign policy for the 15 marks was great.
Rome was by far the best though, I saw the role of violence question and almost orgasmed in the exam room :p
In total, freaking awesome! Band 6 seems acheivable, just hoping all the work payed off...

dr.nitin

HSC
that was a really really easy exam! u guys are just failures hu didnt put in the effort through out the year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)