General Thoughts: Ancient History (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Share your overall thoughts of the exam here

alexmilliken123

HSC
Wonderful!! Sparta questions were the best. Totally different to previous papers but still easy

Chrasity

HSC
Fall of The Roman Republic... WTF MAN. The rest was good, hoping for 80...

humbletaco

HSC
N/A
Sparta was good, Pompeii was good, Alexander the Great was good, Philip was good but that quote wasn't really necessary

NeverMnd

HSC
N/A
15 markers in societies....thats a whole new essay to write.... Easy, but pissed me off a little bit

medicore

HSC
That was harder than other past paper I must admit, but it was good, didn't like pompeii.

suling

HSC
Can someone put up the paper? Or at least tell me the questions for P&H, Sparta, Hatshepsut and Greek World 500-440BC?

Cielle

HSC
Pompeii was generally fair, pretty good.
Sparta's sudden 15-marker annoyed me but it was certainly doable since it's my best topic. Can't believe they made ephors a 1-marker, such a waste.
Agrippina was okay, I'm surprised they did changing interpretations again but I did it for my assessment earlier in the year so I was covered.
Julio-Claudians - was TOTALLY banking on it to be about Claudius since they hadn't done him previously, so glad they also provided a quotation source. Only had time to write 3 pages, though. Hopefully I'll scrape a 20 like I did in trials with the same amount of writing. My analysis was decent, at least.

Overall, I thought I'd be destroyed in this exam with last-minute preparation and an all-nighter but it turned out to be fairly good! :3

HSC
Pompeii was good..two of the multiple choice had me a bit confused
Sparta was goood...Im so glad I looked at Tyrtageus last night
Akhenaten and Egypt was doable..wrote more than I expected
fingers cross a band 5/6 :D

lani22

HSC
I thought it was good!

Cities of Vesuvius is usually my worst, but I feel confident this time. And the rest was all good - my friend and I predicted the Julio Claudian questions just before we went in.

Except the one question for New Kingdom Egypt about construction and building kinda screwed me over, but apart from that I think I went alright

grizzlybear

HSC
FAR OUT!!!! :(
this was so hard.. i didnt prepare anything on ancient rome..
the essay questions didnt suit what i studied at all... there was no question on marxism or fascism in early 1900s (WHICH IS ALL I PREPARED!!)
My related texts didnt really work either, like i didnt really memorise their content so i guess thats what i deserve...
im aiming for about a 87-91 but i reckon ill only scrape that (maybe 85-88)... oh well HSC isnt everything :p

belinda1005

HSC
It was pretty decent and fair imo.

Pompeii and Herculaneum - good but had to bs about slaves..
Sparta - Tyrtaeus wasn't necessary..
Xerxes - a) was good b) was not too bad.
Greek World 500-440BC - excellent. ;)

grizzlybear

HSC
It was pretty decent and fair imo.

Pompeii and Herculaneum - good but had to bs about slaves..
Sparta - Tyrtaeus wasn't necessary..
Xerxes - a) was good b) was not too bad.
Greek World 500-440BC - excellent. ;)
Yeah, i tend to agree..
with the Sparta section, the movie 300 really helped me with it honestly :p
i reckon 95% for that section

what do you reckon the Band 6 cut off will be? i reckon 88-91 ?

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
^ Cut off is usually around 83/100, and I don't think this year was any harder or easier than previous years (although P&H was a little obscure). Getting 88-91 will align to a 94 or 95.

belinda1005

HSC
Yeah, i tend to agree..
with the Sparta section, the movie 300 really helped me with it honestly :p
i reckon 95% for that section

what do you reckon the Band 6 cut off will be? i reckon 88-91 ?
Yeah should be around those marks ^ :)

shangg

HSC
88-91 for a band 6 is absolutely ridiculous. no subject aligns that poorly.
It will stay at around 83. I think it might be a bit lower. The "slaves" aspect will throw a lot of the state. For 6 marks, that is quite narrow. Compared to previous years which asked questions like "significance of social structure, economy, politics, etc" which were big dot points, this years vesuvius was challenging.
In regards to option topics, Sparta was very simple. Religion was a bit surprising since they asked that 2 years ago. Peloponnesian war was basic, with a bit of a twist.
Caesar was tough. Most people will have no idea about how the "images" of Caesar have changed over time. Caesar's average will be extremely low.

grizzlybear

HSC
88-91 for a band 6 is absolutely ridiculous. no subject aligns that poorly.
It will stay at around 83. I think it might be a bit lower. The "slaves" aspect will throw a lot of the state. For 6 marks, that is quite narrow. Compared to previous years which asked questions like "significance of social structure, economy, politics, etc" which were big dot points, this years vesuvius was challenging.
In regards to option topics, Sparta was very simple. Religion was a bit surprising since they asked that 2 years ago. Peloponnesian war was basic, with a bit of a twist.
Caesar was tough. Most people will have no idea about how the "images" of Caesar have changed over time. Caesar's average will be extremely low.
Actually, yeah you are right. im thinking Band 5 cut off will be around 62-65 and yea band 6 cut off probably 80-87..

and i absolutely agree Caesar was tough, i went through chronologically on how he went from an emperor to a renowned salad (delicious btw).. so yea i think probably around 85% for that part..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)