General Thoughts: Ancient History (1 Viewer)

shangg

HSC
For Caesar, I referred to the debate on whether he was just a great general, or whether he was a statesman and how interpretations of this have changed over time

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
For Caesar, I referred to the debate on whether he was just a great general, or whether he was a statesman and how interpretations of this have changed over time
Yeah, I did differing interpretations of him as a general, as a politician, of his reforms + plans for the future (i.e. statesman vs pragmatist), of his personality and of his writings. Not too sure if I talked enough about "images" as I kinda just lumped interpretations and images together, but I was decently satisfied with this response.

grizzlybear

HSC
Yeah, I did differing interpretations of him as a general, as a politician, of his reforms + plans for the future (i.e. statesman vs pragmatist), of his personality and of his writings. Not too sure if I talked enough about "images" as I kinda just lumped interpretations and images together, but I was decently satisfied with this response.
story of my life BRUTHA

ZacharyD

HSC
I went through and talked about the major points in Caesar's career, ie triumvirate, gaul, civil war and reforms and how he was differently represented by different sources ie he did things for different reasons/motives according to modern and ancient sources.
For Peloponnesian War though, the quote for the 1st essay option was sort of not really much help in the way of relating to the question itself.
Sparta was good, although i had a mind blank on apollo and didnt talk enough about the gods in particular.
Pompeii and Herculaneum was good, except the slaves, I was searching through every last corner of my brain for things to bullshit about.

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
For Caesar, I did:

-How his personal writings influenced his carrer (De Bello Gallico and Civili)
-How ancient sources viewed him (Plutarch, Sallust, Suetonius and Cicero)
-How Shakespeare interpreted him in his 1599 play.
-How modern historians view him.

And I said that each interpretations change over time in line with their context in order to engage with their audience, thus projecting a different image of Caesar at different points in history.

Bullshitting <3

grizzlybear

HSC
I went through and talked about the major points in Caesar's career, ie triumvirate, gaul, civil war and reforms and how he was differently represented by different sources ie he did things for different reasons/motives according to modern and ancient sources.
For Peloponnesian War though, the quote for the 1st essay option was sort of not really much help in the way of relating to the question itself.
Sparta was good, although i had a mind blank on apollo and didnt talk enough about the gods in particular.
Pompeii and Herculaneum was good, except the slaves, I was searching through every last corner of my brain for things to bullshit about.
*tears* Inspirational brutha, amen to that!!

ZacharyD

HSC
Yeah, slaves are almost just sort of a small part of other dot points ultimately, and even then slaves is just a part of the social structure dot point.

shangg

HSC
same. for Sparta I barely referred to gods in particular. I just mainly conveyed how they were represented in the festivals and the importance. Managed to write 5 booklets on each section.
For me, part a and b for caesar were very similar, i.e. analysing the dictatorship, his early reforms, military, etc.

shangg

HSC
For Caesar, I did:

-How his personal writings influenced his carrer (De Bello Gallico and Civili)
-How ancient sources viewed him (Plutarch, Sallust, Suetonius and Cicero)
-How Shakespeare interpreted him in his 1599 play.
-How modern historians view him.

And I said that each interpretations change over time in line with their context in order to engage with their audience, thus projecting a different image of Caesar at different points in history.

Bullshitting <3
LOLOLOL point is, the state average would be about 5/15 for that question.

grizzlybear

HSC
i just want to get 95 in it otherwise my parents wont get me a new car (BMW 325) i think i will, i mean i think i pumped the caesar and slave questions.. you talked about the salad and the civil war and like Abraham Lincoln and that

grizzlybear

HSC
LOLOLOL point is, the state average would be about 5/15 for that question.
really!! thats mad, im predicting about 12+ for that question

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATAR AIM-> 97.35
TRIAL MARKS: English (Standard):77 Maths: 81 Ancient History:73 Aboriginal Studies:88 Business Studies:69

shangg

HSC
really!! thats mad, im predicting about 12+ for that question
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATAR AIM-> 97.35
TRIAL MARKS: English (Standard):77 Maths: 81 Ancient History:73 Aboriginal Studies:88 Business Studies:69
there are 13000 people that do ancient history. quite a lot do caesar. 90% would have started studying last night. They write 1-2 pages per section. Most people here right between 2-5 booklets.
As soon as the marker picks up the paper and reads the first page and sees the length, he knows what range the response will get.

Haidys

HSC
It was pretty decent and fair imo.

Pompeii and Herculaneum - good but had to bs about slaves..
Sparta - Tyrtaeus wasn't necessary..
Xerxes - a) was good b) was not too bad.
Greek World 500-440BC - excellent. ;)
Hey we did the exact same sections...that's weird.

anyway can you tell me what you put for Xerxes B? About the changing interpretations and images? And what did you pick for the Greek World?

grizzlybear

HSC
there are 13000 people that do ancient history. quite a lot do caesar. 90% would have started studying last night. They write 1-2 pages per section. Most people here right between 2-5 booklets.
As soon as the marker picks up the paper and reads the first page and sees the length, he knows what range the response will get.
nah statistics king

Rectanglor

HSC
I actually didn't think the exam was too hard. I agree that the slaves thing was a bit obscure, but bullshitting got me through :)
For New Kingdom Society to Amenhotep III, not too much bullshitting was really necessary; not overly challenging if you had studied.
Hatshepsut was also pretty simple. The 10-mark question is a previous year's question, and I had done an assessment task on differing interpretations earlier in the year.
New Kingdom Time Period to the death of Thutmose IV- I was so fucking happy when I saw role of the army!

Anyway, hoping for a low to mid Band 6 :)

grizzlybear

HSC
I actually didn't think the exam was too hard. I agree that the slaves thing was a bit obscure, but bullshitting got me through :)
For New Kingdom Society to Amenhotep III, not too much bullshitting was really necessary; not overly challenging if you had studied.
Hatshepsut was also pretty simple. The 10-mark question is a previous year's question, and I had done an assessment task on differing interpretations earlier in the year.
New Kingdom Time Period to the death of Thutmose IV- I was so fucking happy when I saw role of the army!

Anyway, hoping for a low to mid Band 6 :)
good luck with that buddy

grizzlybear

HSC
if anyone wants to talk about the exam, you know compare answers call me

especially you belinda1005 ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)