General Thoughts - Biology (2 Viewers)

gracie-x

HSC
i put sieve plate and companion cells too haha!!
thank god. that was an awesome exam multi choice was easy i thought
that blood question was just stupid lol? and genetics option was good except
the butterflies question which was a bit weird but nonetheless im quite happy :D

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Re: how did you go?

cccclaire said:
no thats correct about the nitrogenous waste I think. It's just not really a major point, but it isn't incorrect.
It depends on the marking criteria.

If it was Ms Leibman marking, she wouldnt accept that because nitrogenous wastes are made in the liver where amino acids are deaminated.

I wrote that nitrogenous waste concentration increased in one of the past papers I did for her and it came back with a big cross and "NO" written next to it.

But then again, no one else marks as hard as her so who knows

frogbutt

Ugliest Member
HSC
i thought it was sieve plate and epidermis. WHAT DID OTHERS PUT!

they were just plain long cells in a layer next to the phloem weren't they?

what was with 'communication' option?! WEIRD. the insect knees. haha.

...loz...

HSC
HGP on Human Story option was a bit of a bitch
but otherwise it seemed ok!!

Daline

HSC
Lordie said:
Oh, the changing chemical structure of the blood question. What substances are removed from the brain? I said the oxygen level is less after passing through the brain, however what is removed, ie, what does the blood's chemical form change to whilst going through the brain?
i put blood loses o2, gains co2, and hormones from pituritary gland

vs2328

HSC
LOL for the small intestine i said the blood absorbs glucose and the nutrients from the digested food !!! and as the blood goes through the brain the level of oxygen decreases ..

IS THAT WRONGGG ????? LOL

and with the phloem theory -- did you's write about translocation, pressure flow mechanism and the sugar moving from source to sink??????

and with the accuracy of the blood sketches ....
i only mentioned the fact that wbc are twice as large as the rbc however the diagram shows the rbc was larger. i knew the scale wasnt write but i didnt know how to explain it without contradicting myself (which will kill you)
so what do u reckon my mark will be for only mentioning that one thing ?????

dolbinau

HSC
frogbutt said:
i thought it was sieve plate and epidermis. WHAT DID OTHERS PUT!

they were just plain long cells in a layer next to the phloem weren't they?

what was with 'communication' option?! WEIRD. the insect knees. haha.
I put sieve plate and companion cell

It depends on the marking criteria.

If it was Ms Leibman marking, she wouldnt accept that because nitrogenous wastes are made in the liver where amino acids are deaminated.

I wrote that nitrogenous waste concentration increased in one of the past papers I did for her and it came back with a big cross and "NO" written next to it.

But then again, no one else marks as hard as her so who knows
Yeah, this is what I was afraid of.

Daline

HSC
vs2328 said:
LOL for the small intestine i said the blood absorbs glucose and the nutrients from the digested food !!! and as the blood goes through the brain the level of oxygen decreases ..

and with the phloem theory -- did you's write about translocation, pressure flow mechanism and the sugar moving from source to sink??????

i only mentioned the fact that wbc are twice as large as the rbc however the diagram shows the rbc was larger. i knew the scale wasnt write but i didnt know how to explain it without contradicting myself (which will kill you)
i bases marks on 1 mark= 1 point, but if you explained well you could get more, plus was only a 3 mark question

Did anyone do Genetics option, if so what did you do for d) draw and label a diagram of a method used to produce recombinant DNA? i did crossing over in meiosis cause could not think of a thing....

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
vs2328 said:

No thats right

vs2328 said:
Yes

vs2328 said:
I dunno. At least 1 maybe 2 if youre lucky.

But the scale was a big thing I think they expected you to mention

dolbinau said:
Even so, you'd probably only lose one mark.

And I dont know what the BOS is like with marking. My teacher was crazy in terms of marking, and pretty much anything you handed into her would come back covered in red pen saying it was wrong, I'm assuming the BOS is more forgiving, and you had the right idea

Last edited:

henry08

HSC
N/A
Which practicing australian scientist did you write about?

cccclaire

HSC
dolbinau said:

Don't worry, we have like the most ridiculously hard marker for biology at our school. I got a high distinction in the biology olympiad but have never scored more than 70% in one of her tests.

I think the answer's ok though because it pick up amino acids and stuff which then turn into nitrogenous waste. Also, I doubt the markers will know that much about nitrogenous waste anyway. i think the main things they're looking for are O2/CO2 and glucose concentration.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Daline said:
i bases marks on 1 mark= 1 point, but if you explained well you could get more, plus was only a 3 mark question

Did anyone do Genetics option, if so what did you do for d) draw and label a diagram of a method used to produce recombinant DNA? i did crossing over in meiosis cause could not think of a thing....
I showed like a some DNA with stickyends (unpaired bases) and a plasmid with sticky ends, and then drew arrows and showed them together with the unpaired bases joining. With a few descriptions of what was happening

frogbutt

Ugliest Member
HSC
cccclaire said:
Don't worry, we have like the most ridiculously hard marker for biology at our school. I got a high distinction in the biology olympiad but have never scored more than 70% in one of her tests.

I think the answer's ok though because it pick up amino acids and stuff which then turn into nitrogenous waste. Also, I doubt the markers will know that much about nitrogenous waste anyway. i think the main things they're looking for are O2/CO2 and glucose concentration.
oh of course. the markers wont know ANYTHING about biology. we're all fine.

cccclaire

HSC
frogbutt said:
oh of course. the markers wont know ANYTHING about biology. we're all fine.

Well i don't know, the lady I spoke to on the hsc advice line seemed to know nothing about biology, and they're supposed to be smarter than the markers.

Daline

HSC
midifile said:
I showed like a some DNA with stickyends (unpaired bases) and a plasmid with sticky ends, and then drew arrows and showed them together with the unpaired bases joining. With a few descriptions of what was happening
ah. okey, yeh that makes a tonne more sense than mine did, too bad i didnt think of it lol

cccclaire

HSC
midifile said:
My diagram was so prettyful.

And I did like 4 diagrams and labelled them like 1-4. I'm pretty sure you're allowed to do that, because it seemed a bit difficult to do it all in one diagram.

My restriction enzymes were pacman's though =]

youcantstopbeat

HSC
i thought it was a pretty good exam overall...
stupidly i only studied for a few hours before the exam *slams desk* but everything on there was the stuff i studied =)

some of the communication option stuff was a bit hard to study for but i think i did well =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)