General Thoughts: Biology (1 Viewer)

carly.roder

HSC
I actually thought today was rather hard!

The quarantine mc? I changed from quarantine to another one...
And F**** the kidney!

Genetics was rather easy though

What will scaling be?

Gaston

HSC
umm i dont think you were supposed to write about eustachian and sound shadow but oh well.....at least its over now i can burn my bio notez.....yay!!!!.......=)
BURN THEM??? you burn something like maths notes.. Biology notes you sell to naive year 11s lol duh.

ash_xx

HSC
N/A
it was a pretty easy exam compared to past papers, i was flipping thru the paper during reading time expecting an uberly gay and random q but there was NONE! :) :)
pretty satisfied with tht exam, but then again in bio u nvr know how they mark it :S

Bdogz

HSC
N/A
Hey what did everyone do for that table the first part of the short responses, the distinguishing features of Bacteria, Fungi and Protozoan etc.?

I said Bacteria have DNA in plasmid - Tuberculosis
Fungi have a cell wall but no chloroplasts - Thrush
Protozoan is usually single celled and characterised by the way it moves - Malaria​

sunsettah

HSC
yeah i finished the exam in 90 minutes. didn't study. didn't know much. i know i got between 45% and 60%, if its 50 or higher i'll be happy.

i didnt put punctuated equilibrium.. for that rabbit one... i had .. um.. i cant remember i dont have the sheet. what were the other options?

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
Hey what did everyone do for that table the first part of the short responses, the distinguishing features of Bacteria, Fungi and Protozoan etc.?​

Protozoan is usually single celled and characterised by the way it moves - Malaria​
for bacteria you should have said no membrane bound organelles the rest looks fine

sunsettah

HSC
Hey what did everyone do for that table the first part of the short responses, the distinguishing features of Bacteria, Fungi and Protozoan etc.?​

DAMN i thought thrush was bacterial imbalance?

i had tinea as fungi, protozoan as malaria, and thrush as bacteria :(

snakesena

HSC
what did everyone put for the question about the validity of that guys claim about if the pedigree was sex linked? I said it was sex linked. Someone said earlier on here that u can't have sex linked carried on y chromosome, but you can...its rare, but there are things? It surely can't have just been dominant/recessive, as EVERY SINGLE MALE had the disease. All of the male offspring of diseased males had the disease. Surely this means that it is carried on the y chromosome?

Last edited:

juliafattore

HSC
just wondering what people wrote for the communitcation question on action potential?

annikab

HSC
what did everyone put for the question about the validity of that guys claim about if the pedigree was sex linked? I said it was sex linked. Someone said earlier on here that u can't have sex linked carried on y chromosome, but you can...its rare, but there are things? It surely can't have just been dominant/recessive, as EVERY SINGLE MALE had the disease. All of the male offspring of diseased males had the disease. Surely this means that it is carried on the y chromosome?
The whole point of sex linkage is that the "disease" is more likely to be expressed in males than females because all it takes is one X chromosome with the defective gene

Bdogz

HSC
N/A
DAMN i thought thrush was bacterial imbalance?

i had tinea as fungi, protozoan as malaria, and thrush as bacteria :(
Thrush is an imbalance in microflora. It is a yeast - Candida albicans. Yeast is part of the fungal community if that is even a word lol

snakesena

HSC
...annika? lol this is stephen :p im annoyed now about that question, and i know i mucked up the kidney

annikab

HSC
HAHA! Hi stephen. Yeah, I wasn't so sure about that either, but my bullshitting skills came to good use. I managed to remember all the parts!

sam5

HSC
The whole point of sex linkage is that the "disease" is more likely to be expressed in males than females because all it takes is one X chromosome with the defective gene
so did u say its valid?

I said that it wasnt. He could have been right (only males had it) but i also said he could be wrong cos it could just have been a dominant disease, and it was just by chance that no females had the disease.

^ Communication question: an action potential of -50 mv needed to be reached.

Lachycharts

Don't afraid of anything!
HSC
It was a sex linked disease on the X (most likely, you never get a question about Y sex linked diseases). All the males were affected and had the genotype: XcY - the reason why the sister didn't have it is because she has two X chromosomes which means that she is a carrier having the genotype: XcX but she has a normal, non-faulty gene on the other X, hence why she didn't have it.

I said that it was most likely a sex linked and that the dude was right, but I said there wasn't enough family members, and hence evidence, to make a 100% justified conclusion.

sunsettah

HSC
at least u guys drew a kidney. i drew a loop of henley of however you spell it.

im one of those people that u look and and think to yourself 'im glad i have so much more motivation than her' lol

snakesena

HSC
Yeah, I wasn't so sure about that either, but my bullshitting skills came to good use. I managed to remember all the parts!
nice. i labelled medulla, cortex and ureter, and had like a magnified diagram of a nephron. i think i said the medulla was filtration, the cortex was made up of nephrons that did filtration/reabsorption, and the ureter was excretion..im sure its wrong :p

annikab

HSC
I said it was valid, because you could work out what each individual was assuming XnXc = carrier female, XnXn = normal female, XcY = affected male and XnY = unaffected male. You had to work backwards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)