General Thoughts: Biology (2 Viewers)

aussienator

HSC
Someone send PM me the paper. Much appreciated if that could happen. I will answer all queries once I know the questions.
we only got back multiple choice and options back lad, both is found in this topic (page 5,6,7) and the options topic under 'biology discussion' .

Short answers had our answers so it was taken

multiple choice is on page 6 of this discussion

hecticated

HSC
Someone send PM me the paper. Much appreciated if that could happen. I will answer all queries once I know the questions.
pretty sure someone posted the multiple choice in this thread already, and communication is in the communication thread. We don't have the rest of the paper because it was handed in..

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
pretty sure someone posted the multiple choice in this thread already, and communication is in the communication thread. We don't have the rest of the paper because it was handed in..
Cheers. Just had a look. What is the general trend in this thread. Like which MC questions has a lot of debate? I cbs going through all these pages.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
20 brahs thats all i need answer #20 and im happy
I'm thinking D as the case study demonstrates one species only. If it did more than one and there was a comparison between the two, then maybe C. Given that there are enzymes produced at various temperatures depending on temperature, this does not align with C and the notion of narrow temperature limitation; ie the fish studied here looks quite adaptable to varying temperatures. Meanwhile the curves and their peaks demonstrate constant temperature for metabolic efficiency for the varying enzymes.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
@Maxwell, please specify the question, and preferably quote it in response so its easier for me.

lanamohd

HSC
Kk guys give me a heads up on my mc answers:

1. A
2. C
3. A
4. D
5. A
6. B
7. D
8. B
9. C
10. A
11. B
12. B
13. C
14. D
15. B
16. C
17. C
18. B
19. C
20. D

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
16. I'm thinking B. I think its safe to rule out A and D. A reason why I don't feel like it is C, is the way the question is worded; 'successful development', the idea that DNA in the biosphere is the same, does not imply a development, as it was always existing. I don't feel like its a major factor. It's not even discussed in the syllabus either. Meanwhile, to backup B, improvements in technology have enhanced our ability to transplant favourable genes in cells, which underpins the whole concept of transgenic species, and if I had to pick between B and C, C seems like the better answer.

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
13. C. We can easily rule out A and B as they are poor explanations. D can be ruled out as well, as the whole point of the experiment is that the bacteria which causes the cloudy-ness is caught in the s-bend. Meanwhile for C, this seems like the best explanation, as I don't see any other way that the s-bend beaker would be cloudy unless there were bacteria in it, in the first place.

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
13. C. We can easily rule out A and B as they are poor explanations. D can be ruled out as well, as the whole point of the experiment is that the bacteria which causes the cloudy-ness is caught in the s-bend. Meanwhile for C, this seems like the best explanation, as I don't see any other way that the s-bend beaker would be cloudy unless there were bacteria in it, in the first place.
<33333333333

yasssssssssssssssssssss

i did dat

with 16 i had no clue and i just made an educated guess of c lol

and i made one other stupid mistake about the quantitative/qualitative data coz i changed it fml

hopefully i can get 17-18 in the multiple choice. this year's multi was more difficult than last year's imo

last year i got 20/20 when i was practising

shved

HSC
Wait but for q16 B it mentions 'nuclear transplantation'. Isn't that for cloning only and hence not a transgenic species?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait but for q16 B it mentions 'nuclear transplantation'. Isn't that for cloning only and hence not a transgenic species?
wooooopsies. ahhhhhhhh lol forgot about that. my apologies ~

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Can someone verify Q19 ? That was some weird crap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is A

B) pretty much has nothing to do with the question
C) That is true, they do, but it doesn't explain why they die easily from a rapid change than a gradual one
D) That is not true, as soon as an enzyme is out of its optimal range it WILL denature

So we are left with A) If the fish makes different enzymes at different temperatures, then the genes for them take longer to be expressed, hence with a gradual change the fish will be able to produce those enzymes as those temperatures are reached.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)