General Thoughts: Chemistry (1 Viewer)

90atarpls

HSC
neither. I got like 20% or so. Don't remember the exact number
i got 20 at first, realised instead of mass of co2 i done mass of carbon, then i noticed just before the exam ended and got like 80 percent

GOsie

HSC
i got 20 at first, realised instead of mass of co2 i done mass of carbon, then i noticed just before the exam ended and got like 80 percent
Oh, I'm almost certain I did the same thing.

IR

HSC
OH btw guys, lemme tell you, if someone wrote dehydration of ethanol to ethene and then polymer then it is partially wrong, because thats not a use of ethanol. You can use ethanol for solvents, alcoholic beverages or methylated spirits but you'd best talk about solvents because its in syllabus.

joey12

HSC
What did you all do for burning of sulphur in the jar? Anyone say H2SO3 + O2 would have bee restricted bec the lid was closed? Or did i just think to much into it?

Last edited:

IR

HSC
OH btw guys, if I wrote underneath the lines does it get scanned? Because diagrams and reasoning didnt fit for ester question?

90atarpls

HSC
OH btw guys, lemme tell you, if someone wrote dehydration of ethanol to ethene and then polymer then it is partially wrong, because thats not a use of ethanol. You can use ethanol for solvents, alcoholic beverages or methylated spirits but you'd best talk about solvents because its in syllabus.
no, its right. ethanol as a source of ethene..

HSC
This was a relatively easy exam in comparison to past years.

HOWEVER do not be so sure that you will get 90 raw or higher, we have no idea of the marking criteria but we do know that it will be harsh like it always is.

HSC
Yes cos the question gave u 2 sig figs, hence the answer should also be in 2 sig figs which was 80%
Didn't the question just ask for the percentage of purity with no numbers or am I remembering wrong?

Plus the mass was 0.616, the volume in mL was 50.00 and the concentraion was 1.000 mol/L

photastic

HSC
OH btw guys, if I wrote underneath the lines does it get scanned? Because diagrams and reasoning didnt fit for ester question?
They scan within the borders.

IR

HSC
This was a relatively easy exam in comparison to past years.

HOWEVER do not be so sure that you will get 90 raw or higher, we have no idea of the marking criteria but we do know that it will be harsh like it always is.
agreed. They will make it hard. BTW is pentanol toxic and do you wear a fume mask? I didnt know what you wear for pentanol use for pentyl butanoate hence I said pentanol uses a fume mask. either waay you dont conduct the experiement in fume cupboard so didnt write that. bahahaha. I jsut wrote open to atmosphere, low volumes so not too much pressure buildup, boiling chips, safety glasses for h2so4 and acid and use of condensor to stop flammable compoents from escaping. Is that enough for the marks?

photastic

HSC
Didn't the question just ask for the percentage of purity with no numbers or am I remembering wrong?

Plus the mass was 0.616, the volume in mL was 50.00 and the concentraion was 1.000 mol/L
The question told us to use the given data, which had 2 sig fig values

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
They scan within the borders.
There were no borders. Omg same I wrote below the lines without noticing, then I got paranoid and asked for extra paper for nearly every question thereon

photastic

HSC
There were no borders. Omg same I wrote below the lines without noticing, then I got paranoid and asked for extra paper for nearly every question thereon
There is, i think 0.5 inch minus the paper's border

emilios

HSC
Sorry you're wrong.

Solvent is fine to talk about. How tf are you going to link "beverage" to underlying chemical principles?

You can also talk about its use as a fuel (even for cars) and as a raw material for the petrochemical industry.

IR

HSC
Same. Except the ones where you dont have much to write underneath cos supervisor got pissed and wrote like 2 pages for soap. hopefully they dont say coherence or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)