15: D
16: B
17: A
18: D
19: B
20: D

bhatman

HSC
Yeh i wrote it was parallel and linear trend since controlled just inaccurate.
The key thing (again), was not to identify the trend, but to show that it achieved the aim; hence at least partially valid. The validity was compromised by the heat losses and incorrect use of the thermometer.

HSC
Also multiple choice solutions (almost 100% sure these are correct):
1: D
2: A
3: B
4: C
5: C
6: B
7: C
8: C
9: A
10: C
11: A
12: C
13: B
14: D
15: D
16: B
17: A
18: D
19: B
20: D

8 is B, read the question. I also fell for it

Reactions: IR

bio4lyf

HSC
the sulphate, chloride and carbonate question was to do with solubility rules rite???

SuchSmallHands

HSC
lol yeah that was me, I had like 45 minutes to do all of chem of art and all of multiple choice. That actually seems pretty legit haha. Where did the hydrogen come from though? I had an ammonium vanadate prac thingy as it changes oxidation state
I did the zinc/chromium one. I didn't even have time to write a reaction equation but I do remember that hydrogen gas was evolved. 7 marker I only wrote one page, I'm so screwed holy shit. Hopefully chem of art aligns/moderates/whatever it is well because I screwed it pretty bad in some places. I wrote way too much for the core and then had no time for it...

HSC
The key thing (again), was not to identify the trend, but to show that it achieved the aim; hence at least partially valid. The validity was compromised by the heat losses and incorrect use of the thermometer.
Yes i agree! you had to talk about how aspects of the experiment was valid and not valid. You had to talk about experimental method/ trends and the stuff you mentioned previously

IR

HSC
That linking still should not be More than one mark?

bhatman

HSC
the sulphate, chloride and carbonate question was to do with solubility rules rite???
That was in the anion testing dot point. For carbonate you add nitric acid and you produce CO2 gas as a product indicating the presence of carbonate ions. Sulfate you acidify the sample with HNO3 and add Ba(NO3)2, giving precipitate of BaSO4 and thereby indicating SO4- is present. For chloride, you again acidify with HNO3 and add AgNO3, to precipitate silver chloride. Didn't need to know solubility rules if you had the flow chart of anion testing memorised or at least knew what to do to identify these ions in a sample.

bhatman

HSC
Praying to the BOSTES gods that they mark my paper as nicely as my school teachers did my trials

HSC
N/A
I FUCKING lost 3 marks on multiple choice. Question 7, 13 and 20. The only legit mark I should have lost was maybe question 13. I'm fucking retarded, I had 5 minutes left over and didn't use that time to check the answers.

bio4lyf

HSC
That was in the anion testing dot point. For carbonate you add nitric acid and you produce CO2 gas as a product indicating the presence of carbonate ions. Sulfate you acidify the sample with HNO3 and add Ba(NO3)2, giving precipitate of BaSO4 and thereby indicating SO4- is present. For chloride, you again acidify with HNO3 and add AgNO3, to precipitate silver chloride. Didn't need to know solubility rules if you had the flow chart of anion testing memorised or at least knew what to do to identify these ions in a sample.
yeah okie thanx thats what i wrote!

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Yeah that was me :/ deep regrets at some points in core I wrote like 2 pages for a 3 marker, no wonder I couldn't finish the paper. The last 45 minutes were stressful as hell, and then I come out of the exam and everyone was like "omg it was so good! I finished an hour early!"...
Argh me too, I wrote down the margins for two markers (the supervisers were taking too long to keep getting booklets, and wouldn't just give me a stack at a time smh), so stupid. Then I wrote two extra pages on ethanol and didn't even answer the question fully so good on me.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
also probably had to add something about how you're testing the next sample on the filtrate from the previous one, and how co2 must be destroyed after testing by adding excess hno3, because the question did say "in a sequence"
This and also include the confirmation tests perhaps

photastic

HSC
After the exam: Pretty Good
After Boredofstudies: FML

Lost 20 marks after looking at this :p

SuchSmallHands

HSC
omg that question was annoying as because it said include "one" chemical equation. And I wanted to include so many more i cri :( haha
I included all of them, it's not like they'll deduct marks. I didn't see the 'in a sequence' part though, so sad right now. I was thinking there wasn't much work for 5 marks there!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)