General Thoughts: Engineering Studies (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Share your thoughts here

Roy216

HSC
theory wasn't bad, the mechanics and drawing questions were the worst

SoopaMario1

HSC
N/A
I thought it was quite hard. The analysis questions were tough as some of the values didn't result in a realistic answer. I believe there was a mistake with the second moment area question, where it was given as 10^4 instead of 10^-4 leading to a very small answer when it asked for MPa?

Roy216

HSC
I thought it was quite hard. The analysis questions were tough as some of the values didn't result in a realistic answer. I believe there was a mistake with the second moment area question, where it was given as 10^4 instead of 10^-4 leading to a very small answer when it asked for MPa?
I thought there was something wrong with that but i kept the value at x 10^4

SoopaMario1

HSC
N/A
I did it for 10^-4 and specified that I did so.
Yeah the drawings weren't too easy either. What was a half section in the first one meant to look like?

BenBrownTown

HSC
In my opinion this is the longest most stretched for time exam you can't realistically complete it while putting in your best attempt you have to scrafise your self in certain areas just to complete the paper, so pissed off I didnt even get to finish the second 5 mark drawing :(

The theory was all relatively easy and just logical, maths was got you thinking but was pretty good imo.

Thankyou I got answer that just looked off for that second moment and thought I didn't do something right

Roy216

HSC
I did it for 10^-4 and specified that I did so.
Yeah the drawings weren't too easy either. What was a half section in the first one meant to look like?
well if i get it wrong it's not my fault, and yeah the values weren't very realistic

machine2035

HSC
N/A
Wow.... I was wondering why my answer didn't make any sense (0.0018 or something stupid).. FARK! Didn't even realise it was ^4 instead of ^-4.

.. and that half section one.. I didn't know what the support they were talking about was. I drew the larger circle 12cm deep, but the smaller inside one as full (a friend drew it as hollow).

I was so confident and all that rushed out after the 5minutes reading time :S

I also agree theory questions weren't bad (was cheering that aircraft were featured in history section).

Last edited:

aaron_syd

HSC
i think i got 180 MPa, but i didn't even realise what the units where, i just used the values in the formula.

drawing was some sadistic messed up shit! they lure u into a false sense of security with an easy 2 marker, then BAM! 5 mark assembled isometric sketch. WTF! And that demodulation circuit??? Did anyone see that coming, and how does it even work like seriously?! I'd be lucky to get 65%.

Mayazcherquoi

HSC
Pretty good examination imho. Actually managed to complete it, although I know I definitely bummed out a few of the questions that involved mathematics.

vinhkn

HSC
FUCK...That was hard. One does not simply do engineering mechanics

lance687876

HSC
Uni Grad
that has to be one of the worst exams ever made by board of studies.
it asked us stuff that isn't in books, past papers, and stuff that our teachers haven't taught us.
what do they fucking think they'll do by making it practically impossible to do? place nearly all of the students in the 60% range except for a couple of band 5's?

compare this paper to the past papers. look at how difficult it is compared to them.
they used to follow a format of asking similar questions, like on testing (which wasn't in this exam), orbits, engineering roles, multiplexing and stuff.
they just randomly decided to make it different from every other years and get us pissed.
making the polymer coating of cables? how the hell are we supposed to know what process makes that?
how are we supposed to know what makes fibreglass fuselages?

our teacher probably taught us 10% of what's in the exam. and there was like 5% of the content from past papers.

no wonder hardly any people do this retarded subject.
l'd bash the shit out of those 4 eyed, no life exam makers if l had the chance.

machine2035

HSC
N/A
So can anyone explain how you get the answer for the L/D ratio and weight of aircraft.. I was litterally sitting there for 10 minutes looking at a free body diagram saying WTF to do.

Kinda annoying when I have my SPL and have gone solo in a aircraft, yet I can't even work it out.

Safest 3 marks were explaining how the ailerons, rudder and elevators control a plane.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)