General Thoughts: Engineering Studies (2 Viewers)

Life4Never

HSC
8: i picked a, pretty sure you have to shade in the thread depth

10: i got c
Yes it was A for 8
10 is D. You need to factor in the normal reaction which P adds to the block, giving it extra fiction. Missed it first time round and wondered why my answer didnt match. 2 and a half hours later redid it accounting for P adding a bit into the normal reaction, getting exactly D

BenBrownTown

HSC
Yes it was A for 8
10 is D. You need to factor in the normal reaction which P adds to the block, giving it extra fiction. Missed it first time round and wondered why my answer didnt match. 2 and a half hours later redid it accounting for P adding a bit into the normal reaction, getting exactly D
8. You aren't supposed to section thread that is engaged, so it cant possibly be A, C has no end to the bolt, D have no thread even on the bolt and B has unsectioned thread on the bolt and sectioned thread for the unused part in the drilled hole. So.... its B

Life4Never

HSC
Coil and the variable capacitor are used to tune the frequency of the receiver. The rest was demodulation circuitry. Never knew I had to did out Year 9 and 10 electronics for an Engineering exam.

Almost did do this question. Was so happen finishing my sketch that I skipped it. I was double checking when I saw I missed the page. Lucky I had 20 mins left.

zhou

HSC
Uni Grad
for 10. did you develop expressions for sum of forces horizontal and vertical and then solve simultaneously?
Because when you do you find the value for N in terms of P and sub it in to the other and can then make P the subject and get the answer of D
also P needs to be broken down into two seperate expressions for vertical and horizontal force with respect to the slope
for 10: you know what, looking back at my MCQ paper, I did it graphically and it would've been right if I only drew in the force P horizontally. Instead I accidentally drew it in parallel to the plane, thus I had a reduced answer. Pretty sad.

captainplanet7

HSC
N/A
i reckon this exam is the reason i wont get in my course. I wanted to do engineering in university.... ironic isin't it?

Life4Never

HSC
8. You aren't supposed to section thread that is engaged, so it cant possibly be A, C has no end to the bolt, D have no thread even on the bolt and B has unsectioned thread on the bolt and sectioned thread for the unused part in the drilled hole. So.... its B
Pretty sure you do. Teacher taught us to section including the thread.

cheepy5

HSC
Multiple choice was the hardest MC ever, but the rest of it wasn't that bad.
The last drawing was hard.
The mechanics wasnt too bad, the bus question was real mean and I reckon quite out of the syllabus but it was in this year's catholic trial.

laser6628

HSC
N/A
was that bus going 360 km/hr roughly? cause that is damn fast....

Life4Never

HSC
was that bus going 360 km/hr roughly? cause that is damn fast....
LOL yeah... Made no sense at all... got like 94-95 m/s which is approx 340km/h
Then in the next question the bus is going 60km/h .....

Last edited:

machine2035

HSC
N/A
I got something around 96km/h (actually may have been m/s)

Probally wrong though

machine2035

HSC
N/A
Multiple choice was the hardest MC ever, but the rest of it wasn't that bad.
The last drawing was hard.
The mechanics wasnt too bad, the bus question was real mean and I reckon quite out of the syllabus but it was in this year's catholic trial.
The Engineering syllabus is so broad I am suprised they didn't chuck in a NAND question cause apparently the syllabus tells us "To learn digital control: logic gates".

BenBrownTown

HSC
Pretty sure you do. Teacher taught us to section including the thread.
yeah that picture is invalid to your point you are proving mine there, The last picture shows a drilled hole, that has been threaded and sectioned, but no bolt is inside (as the end of a bolt with thread makes 45 degree angle) so yeah you dont section ENGAGED thread you section NON engaged thread

cheepy5

HSC
The Engineering syllabus is so broad I am suprised they didn't chuck in a NAND question cause apparently the syllabus tells us "To learn digital control: logic gates".
Yeah that is true, I really wish they would fix up the syllabus but now its over :)

Life4Never

HSC
yeah that picture is invalid to your point you are proving mine there, The last picture shows a drilled hole, that has been threaded and sectioned, but no bolt is inside (as the end of a bolt with thread makes 45 degree angle) so yeah you dont section ENGAGED thread you section NON engaged thread
I see what you mean now. Wished teacher taught us that but its only one mark. AS 1100 standards are none existent on the internet.....

Life4Never

HSC
For the support, did anyone else get 17.3kN 51deg to the horizontal
Wasnt the resultant 22 kN? 17.3 was only the force vertically at the reaction. There was a horizontal force of 14 kN as well. Net force was 22kN Direction was correct though.

cheepy5

HSC
Wasnt the resultant 22 kN? 17.3 was only the force vertically at the reaction. There was a horizontal force of 14 kN as well. Net force was 22kN Direction was correct though.

yep you are right

machine2035

HSC
N/A
Mmm yes, you are right if you sum the vertical force you get 17.3 as vertical, however I also took moments from the right hand side reaction and got 17.3.. I think the angle support confused the f out of me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)