General Thoughts - English Adv Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

lifesucks

Nerd And Proud of It
HSC
easy? oh crap, i thought it wasnt easy at all.

Mod A: BNW/BR: two difference in portrayal? what??? had to quickly adapt
Mod B: speeches: one common value? we never learnt that at school. again, had to come up with something on the spot
Mod C: A&C: tooo general....

time management killed me as well. toooo long on mod a. wrote 5.5 pages each for b and c. crap crap crap!!!

oh well, at least i fluked a few assessments earlier this year and got a rank higher than i deserved. the sucker that come 14th highest will get their mark taken by me!!! oh yeah... hopefully that pulls me to low-mid band 5...

Lozzzz

HSC
ok am i the only wanka that failed that paper?????
omg i barely wrote 4 pages on module B i almost cried coz every single piece of information went frolicking out the window in reading time!!!!
ok im just going to sit in my little corner and cry myslef to sleep...:bomb:

divyachaddha

HSC
the exam was way easier than expected.....i'm sooo glad they didnt nominate in speeches....but i think i went way off tengent with my emma clueless argument

-pari-

HSC
N/A
yoakim: i had the same problem for br/bnw

to top it off i didn't get to finish, but my main problem was the "two differences"

mmm...ah well

mithril1337

HSC
Ok guys
is this feasible
6 pages for A
6 pages for B and
7 pages for C

medium qaulity answers

What mark do you think i can get

O and section 2 (king lear)
i read the rubric and it says

evaluate the text's reception in differant contexts

does this mean writing about the many readings and productions is acceptable - better

(Somebody hug me)

ssglain

HSC
I agree with the general view that this year's paper was surprisingly easy. Someone said earlier that they couldn't help smiling during reading time - I felt that, too, but only in relief that BOS had retreated from last year's route. I was also a bit surprised to see the request for three straight essays again, for the third year in a row. I would have liked to write BOS a speech or a feature article or something along those lines.

I wrote 8 pages for Mod A and then 9 pages each for Mods C & B. I felt a bit uncomfortable with beginning a new booklet when I only had a few lines and a conclusion to write so I wrote on the back of the last page. I hope that will be acceptable. I didn't want to waste paper!

I'm quite happy with Mod A (Hamlet & RAGAD) and Mod C (Frontline) but I'm slightly unsure about Mod B (Wuthering Heights). I guess I found it hard to refrain from discussion of the text's varying reception in different contexts because that's what I had prepared myself for, so I ended up rattling on about how representation of the "intense human relationships" could be viewed differently to derive different meanings. I did manage to refrain from readings and just gave a personal response that was tested against the views of Bronte's Victorian readers. I hope I didn't go off the track with that one.

@mithril: Here's a hug. About Mod B, I'm a bit concerned that BOS might not have been after readings.

Last edited:

sammi260

President of the World
HSC
All you people who are writing whole booklets, is your writing big with less than 10 words per line? cos i just don't know how you do it.

i wrote (my writing is pretty small):
module a- 6 pages- fucked up my structure
module B- 5.5 pages- again fucked up my structure
module c- 4.5 pages- wrote in really long paragraphs lol.

Altogether i didn't think it was that difficult but i didn't stop to think which is usually my downfall. they will probably mark it hard. god damnnit.

Oh and i mean it evita. fuck off and stop reading my posts.

Last edited:

mR.aCAdEMiK

Mo-del Student
HSC
in3rtia said:
/sigh
got home, opened up my maths book to study maths and shouted "holly f**** I wrote down Edgar instead of writing Edmund!!!!!"
I wish I am just being paranoid.
ROFL :D

btw i dunt noe how people can write so much. i only managed to write mod A:6 1/2, Mod B:5 1/2, Mod C:6 1/2 and its pretty messy- i hope the markers can read it.

mithril1337

HSC
My hopes and aspirations are now directed
to chemistry

ssglain thx 4 da hug :D

feeling much beta

spangacrab

HSC
7 pages for all sections.

Wish I had more time damn it!!! Needed to get 9 pages each.

sykoticx

HSC
module b is fucked..
in the skin of a lion is a fucked book!!!
i don't ever have to do it again...
that question screwed me over completely...

pinkdragon89

HSC
i agree with the above...i was smiling during reading time...not so much for module (harwood is not my forte and i chose to study her accordingly) but A and C were fantastic
Module A i wrote 9 pages and chose the two elements of the theme of death and shift in perspective/perspectives in the text. I also covered myself by talking about the adaptation of genre and techniques.
Modeule B i didnt enjoy much...only got out 6 pages and talked mainly about the emotion of loss etc in the glass jar and father and child
Module C was a fair question, I;m glad it was only one related text though. Wrote 12 pages all up for it

Hopefully i did well and get over 80!

appleide

HSC
Module A. Hamlet & Ros & Guil: 7 Pages
Module B: Gwen Harwood: 7.5 Pages.
Module C: Frontline 7 Pages.

easiest english paper ever~~

~kiki

HSC
from what I've read on this forum, I'm slightly concerned that I may have screwed up BNW and BR. Can someone post the question up by any chance? My essay also explored similarities but I said these aspects of the texts are similar HOWEVER they are based on different contextual concerns. bla bla bla

The lear question definately threw me off, but truth was nice and easy. My timing was pretty bad though and I think my marks could definately have improved if I managed my time better. At the same time I believe that the time limit is incredibly unfair. Basically you have to write at the speed of light, think at the speed of light AND be excellent at english to even hope for a band six. I gave up on english a loong time ago. Even 15 extra minutes would make that paper 100% less daunting. Personally I'm aiming for a band 4. :p

Maddy1012

HSC
~kiki said:
from what I've read on this forum, I'm slightly concerned that I may have screwed up BNW and BR. Can someone post the question up by any chance? My essay also explored similarities but I said these aspects of the texts are similar HOWEVER they are based on different contextual concerns. bla bla bla

The lear question definately threw me off, but truth was nice and easy. My timing was pretty bad though and I think my marks could definately have improved if I managed my time better. At the same time I believe that the time limit is incredibly unfair. Basically you have to write at the speed of light, think at the speed of light AND be excellent at english to even hope for a band six. I gave up on english a loong time ago. Even 15 extra minutes would make that paper 100% less daunting. Personally I'm aiming for a band 4. :p

I know how unfair is it. Its not a test of knowledge its a test of how many paragraphs can you remember then adapt to those to a question at, as you said, the speed of light. haha. And what about the poor people who write really slowly, like me :(

noitall

HSC
williamc said:
They will have to separate the responses on length..
why should length make any difference. if you ramble on about shit for a couple of pages doesnt mean your going to get a good mark. quality not quantity. although this is coming from a person who cant write very fast.

enzyme

HSC
Hmmm a few people have said they don't understand how some people can write so much, make it into the second booklet, etc etc. It IS just the size of your writing. My answers were 13, 12 and 12 pages, but when I'm trying to write really fast it becomes spaced out and I only fit about five words per line. So don't worry, the markers will consider handwriting size.
Did ANYONE for Module B disagree with the question? Or evaluate human relationships as being insignificant? Because I did, and I was sure that was a valid response, but noone else seems to have approached it that way.

Platinum

HSC
I thought it was a reasonable paper. Was surprised that it was all essays and that you only needed one related for Powerplay (I still used two otherwise my argument wouldn't have made sense), when in years past it has always been "atleast two". Here's hoping for a Band 6 but English can be pretty unpredictable.....atleast never have to do English again!!!!!

spangacrab

HSC
Platinum said:
I thought it was a reasonable paper. Was surprised that it was all essays and that you only needed one related for Powerplay (I still used two otherwise my argument wouldn't have made sense), when in years past it has always been "atleast two". Here's hoping for a Band 6 but English can be pretty unpredictable.....atleast never have to do English again!!!!!
Surprised you had to do 3 essays??? Its always been 3 essays? what!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)