General Thoughts - English Adv Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

enzyme

HSC
It's always been three essays, but that's why I expected them to throw in a random text type. They did for Standard, so I'm surprised they didn't for us.
And the powerplay thing shocked me... I did the same, Platinum. I knew I wouldn't have enough to say, or enough detail, if I only used one of my two additional texts. I thought my response would seem a bit shallow, so I used both... even though the teachers say only to do the minimum. :(

Platinum

HSC
enzyme said:
It's always been three essays, but that's why I expected them to throw in a random text type. They did for Standard, so I'm surprised they didn't for us.
And the powerplay thing shocked me... I did the same, Platinum. I knew I wouldn't have enough to say, or enough detail, if I only used one of my two additional texts. I thought my response would seem a bit shallow, so I used both... even though the teachers say only to do the minimum. :(
My english teacher was kind of the opposite. She was like if they say "at least (insert number here)" try and do an extra one but not at the expense of depth. I just did two because of my essay flow and I worked on the 50/25/25 philosophy as reccomended (50 prescribed which was A+C and 25 each related). I hope it didn't require say a 75/25 split.....that would be annoying.

My trial didn't even have one essay. It had an interview (transformations), a speech (for speeches) and a feature article (for Powerplay). So to just be given essays was nice (^.^)

HSC
enzyme said:
I was expecting a different text type too.

Really? What did they get asked to do?

macattack

HSC
Standard got asked to do a speech, I don't know which module for.

I think I did okay. A was Hamlet & RAGAD, and though the question was a bit vague ("elements"? could you be a tad more specific?) i think i got it. module b ... in the skin of a lion. oh god. INTENSE HUMAN RELATIONSHIPS?
does anyone else out there do ondaatje? what relationships did you do? i did patrick and the migrant community (and incorporated a post-colonial & marxist reading) and patrick and his women (clara, alice, hana & incorporated feminist reading). i figured patrick was the link between all the relationships so it was most fitting to talk about him.

module c ... ended up having about 20 mins but i finished it. only did the bare minimum but i think it'll hold up.

musiche

HSC
I did
Module A: Transformations [A Simple Plan/The Pardoners Tale]
Module B: Critical Study [Wuthering Heights]
Module C: Powerplay [Antony + Cleopatra]

which i'm pretty sure are all the least studied texts haha...

but yea the paper generally was pretty easy...i was expecting a different text type too, maybe like a speech or a radio script for wuthering...but nope, twas pretty easy...

i wrote them B, A, C

and i'd gone like 5mins over for the first two..so i only had half an hour for A+C :S! so that was pretty crap was with lack of time + little study + very general question cause i got a bit overwhelmmed and then didn't really develop much of a thesis...:S

but oh well, nothing to be done about it now! i'm hoping the goodness from my first two essays will make up for the crapness of module c haha

gl for everyone else in the rest of exams!!

xoxo:wave:

hecticleb

HSC
N/A
i think the HSC people are getting really bored and cant be botherd when it comes to text type! but also i mean an essay allows for better expression of thoughts rather than being restricted with a particular scenario like "you have been asked to write a speach fro a group of hsc students ......"

enzyme

HSC
Thanks Platinum for the heads up on the powerplay module... now I don't feel worried about using the two texts. Yaaaay!

samantha 22

HSC
Hey guys,
Sorry It's my first time use this site, and i'm most likely posting this in the wrong forum.

I know your over doing journeys , but im wondering if I can get help on this quote.

Imagination is about intelligence having fun.

I need to write a speech about it, but I don't need to explain it. Just interprt it and bring in personal experience etc.

Help will be appreciated! thanks.

Goodluck for the rest of your exams

Autumn_Rain

HSC
For all you people saying '8 pages' etc., how many words do you think that would actually be, about?
I'm a special provisions kid, and I typed 3,750 words total, which I think would have been about 1,100 module A, 1,300 for B and C.

collide

HSC
Autumn_Rain said:
For all you people saying '8 pages' etc., how many words do you think that would actually be, about?
I'm a special provisions kid, and I typed 3,750 words total, which I think would have been about 1,100 module A, 1,300 for B and C.
All my essays were 8+ pages and around 1100-1200 words.. so about the same as you.

stariiskiez

HSC
I'm fairly happy with the paper- it was so much easier than i anticipated! I thought they were going to torture us since they are going to change the syllabus soon.

Module A: Hamlet/ Ros and Guil: i didnt really get the question first but then i realised how easy it was. Wrote 12 pages
Module B: Wuthering Heights. I love this question!
Module C: Easy as but what kind of stupid question is that! Thank god i had a prepare essay or i wouldnt know where to start!

el gwapo

HSC
enzyme said:
It's always been three essays, but that's why I expected them to throw in a random text type.
My English teacher was saying that's been happening the past couple of years, I remember seeing a speech-type in 2004's paper, but that's a long time ago. I didn't really consider that they were all essays until someone told me - probably I was too focused on one question.

I guess a lot of people noticed that Module C questions were similar to Module A questions a couple of years ago - is BOS running out of ideas? :D

bassguy

HSC
I thought this exam went really well. I was especially happy with BNW/BR in section 1. Bombed Lear a bit, even though it was an easy question. But yes. Good.

greeny3121

HSC
Great Questions-poor responses.
Powerplay was my weakest module...and i loved the question in the exam. But i still managed to write the worst essay i have ever written and spend 65 minutes doing it...leaving me with only 2 speeches in my speeches essay, and half a booklet and 15 minutes worth of BR/BNW.
It would have been 1000 times better with a hard question so that they mark it easier and the band 6 responses will be evident...where as now-we are all going to get slaughtered (we being-people not natural english brains) and get dominated by those people who have the ability to write top of band 6 responses to those questions...
I hate the HSC, the way it is structured...everything about it.
That is my whine for the day

evo31

HSC
Lozzzz said:
ok am i the only wanka that failed that paper?????
omg i barely wrote 4 pages on module B i almost cried coz every single piece of information went frolicking out the window in reading time!!!!
ok im just going to sit in my little corner and cry myslef to sleep...:bomb:
Haha no i agree, i wrote only 3 pages for Module A, 4 for module B and 5 for Module C... i dnt think thats enough lol

Tsuska

HSC
LOL, the questions were sooo easy to answer. Compared to paper 1 this was...EAZY!

But still the same 2 words for this subject:

EPIC FAIL!

2curvy4u

HSC
I loved the King Lear question, I felt really confident with that, but I didn't really like the Emma/Clueless one... I think I rushed the history and memory question, I don't think I payed enough attention or time to my related text for that module... it wasn't a really bad exam, to be honest! :) The relief I felt after that exam was exceptional. :D

sammyrrr

HSC
wait wat is this 60:40 stuff?

explaaainn pplzzzzzzz

i liked paper 2 better then paper 1...is that a good thing?

Tsuska

HSC
sammyrrr said:
wait wat is this 60:40 stuff?

explaaainn pplzzzzzzz

i liked paper 2 better then paper 1...is that a good thing?
Paper 1 is worth 40% our of ur HSC assessment. (Which is 50%). That's the AOS Paper. It is used to calculate the difference use for PAPER2 when comparing the Standard and Advanced Papers.

Paper2:Modules is Worth 60%.

Add them Up and u get 100%

HSC
I think I went alright and wrote 30 pages for this paper. I believe the questions were better then what i had seen in past years. I am hoping i may be able to push into a band 5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)