General Thoughts: English Extension 1 (1 Viewer)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Share your thoughts here.

Reactions: h_g

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
Edited for a bit of elaboration. Romanticism here. So many of us in this thread.

The essay question was surprisingly straightforward, and therefore so was my essay. Not too many variables unlike past questions.

My paragraphs went Keats (Ode on a Grecian Urn) > Blake (Angel of the Revelation) > Shelley (Hymn to Intellectual Beauty) > Keats (La Belle + On the Sea) > Austen (Northanger Abbey).

My significant ideas, in that order, were obviously the pursuit of the ideal for the first one (intellectual: reconsider philosophical paradigms concerning reality/one's tangible existence; emotional: Keats' personal suffering); corrupt religious and political institutions for Blake and Shelley, but for Blake especially his defiance of neoclassical practice, which basically represented cold intellectualism, and then the imagination's adverse effect on Keats, i.e perpetually entrapped within the ideal, reminds readers of implacable desires + there was an intellectual experimentation of form prevalent in each text so that engages the reader's capacity for innovation/to transform their milieu by questioning convention/'authorities' whether these be literary...

On the Sea, more of the same stuff but with materialism, then Austen obv literary convention/trivialised Gothic novel/feminine oppression in Regency England (I'm sure the private schools who actually do Pride and Prej for Mod A would've done this better than me). Intellectual/emotional engagement was a bit iffy for the last paragraph, but I basically went intellectual = experimentation, pertinence of literature to human experience, "realism" and reason, and then emotional = ambition, imagination, and criticism etc. Lots of flowery, wordy shit.

The creative was a gift for my story in particular, though the specificity was initially surprising. Since the questions were pretty easy, I imagine that they'll be marked pretty harshly.

Thoughts on whether they will mark harshly? I'm not expecting incredibly high raw.

Last edited:

Kacarott

HSC
Essay was nice and general. (Crime btw)

The creative writing on the other hand almost killed me. Spent a good 5 minutes (non-reading time) trying to figure out how to work in an 'apology'. Almost killed my hand trying to make up the lost time.

But overall, not too bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: h_g

Swaan

Stupid Fat Hobbit
HSC
Am I the only idiot who blanked out on the word 'apology'? I literally spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what an apology was LOOOL then I realised how dumb I was. But I reckon the essay question was pretty easy but had to change a whole lot of my creative. (Science fiction)

britaker

HSC
Essay question (Romanticism) was an absolute gift.

Creative worked surprisingly well with the one I had prepared.

Overall I felt I did well :)

russ3l

HSC
I thought it went well but could have been slightly better! Subjectivity reigns in this subject so I can't definitively say how well I went - should be an e4 though!

Creative went alright - I weaved in 'apology' quite nicely, I didn't just paste it in my creative haha it held some sort of meaning to it. The ideas about 'hope', however, were lacking in my creative so hopefully the marker searches for some reference to this part of the question!

Essay was good, I basically talked about how Romanticism was a movement that engaged readers on both an intellectual and emotional level through the illumination of man's inborn capacity to extend beyond mere reason that Neo-Classicisim and the Augustan imperative insist on what the mind is only capable of possessing. That was the overarching answer, then I broke it done and focussed on the paradigms of imagination, nature and individual and how the Romantics placed significance on them to reshape the way we look at the world and ourselves.

Wrote 10+ pages for both, hoping for 47+/50 aligned!

Anyways, I'm fucking free from HSC! hahahahaha feels so good.

Last edited:

britaker

HSC

Fucking hell, 10 pages?! Damn. :O I might've managed seven for each. And I know right how awesome is it having 4 glorious months of freedom ahead! :D

ushnakhalid

HSC
Fucking hell, 10 pages?! Damn. :O I might've managed seven for each. And I know right how awesome is it having 4 glorious months of freedom ahead! :D
ooooooft 10 for each???? i only had 10 for the essay and around 7 for the creative. anyone else finish early?

SuchSmallHands

HSC
ooooooft 10 for each???? i only had 10 for the essay and around 7 for the creative. anyone else finish early?
Wow we wrote the exact same amount for each! Yeah only like 5 minutes, it made me feel bad but it wasn't enough time to fit in an extra argument but too much time to feel content just sitting there

russ3l

HSC
My hand writing is quite big! But i definitely would have hit 1500+ words for both. Have a wonderful 4 month holiday :)

russ3l

HSC
Wow we wrote the exact same amount for each! Yeah only like 5 minutes, it made me feel bad but it wasn't enough time to fit in an extra argument but too much time to feel content just sitting there
Don't feel bad - the marker wont know what you were feeling :) chill and enjoy what's ahead

raggiedoll

Scumbag
HSC
47/50 hopefully. I've been getting marks around that throughout the year for harder papers so hopefully. Anyone have any idea what the raw mark for e4 is?
It was 39/50 for one year, would be higher this year if these were considered 'easier'

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
I thought it went well but could have been slightly better! Subjectivity reigns in this subject so I can't definitively say how well I went - should be an e4 though!

Creative went alright - I weaved in 'apology' quite nicely, I didn't just paste it in my creative haha it held some sort of meaning to it. The ideas about 'hope', however, were lacking in my creative so hopefully the marker searches for some reference to this part of the question!

Essay was good, I basically talked about how Romanticism was a movement that engaged readers on both an intellectual and emotional level through the illumination of man's inborn capacity to extend beyond mere reason that Neo-Classicisim and the Augustan imperative insist on what the mind is only capable of possessing. That was the overarching answer, then I broke it done and focussed on the paradigms of imagination, nature and individual and how the Romantics placed significance on them to reshape the way we look at the world and ourselves.

I love the way you've structured your essay. That will no doubt pay well in dividend! :)

And lol more like 47 raw for you!

Chocolatebubble

HSC
Uni Grad
i did 11 for creative and 9 for essay (romanticism)

Essay was ok. I didn't get time to write my concluding sentences for my paragraphs nor could I tie in most of my paragraphs since i wanted to go back and do them, but as always, no time.

Essay: 1300+ words

Keats Bright Star + To Autumn
- Exploring innate human concerns stimulates one's introspective qualities by appealing to emotion and then the intellectual part of us
- Getting over fear of mortality for Autumn
- The conflict between ideals and reality for bright star

Fredreich's Mountain landscape + rainbow
- Imagination is required for higher order thinking + the individual exists in dual realities, the physical and their imagination

Wuthering heights
- Emotions affect an individual. Makes reader reflect on their past decisions.

Blake's 'London'
- Socio political criticism, appeals both intellectually and emotionally.

Hoping for a 21/25 :( I tried my best but I didn't get to link my paragraphs together all that well nor did I write concludings sentences for my paragraphs

Creative: 1350+ words
About a man who was there during Peterloo Massacre and talks about his experiences after it to a group of his friends in a coffee house. Lots of nature healing and radical MUH LIBERTAY

I went full retard and added in pixies who tell me not to be sorry for the failed reform -_- thank god this is romanticism and we get a free pass for adding in voodoo magic and supernatural shit. I had no idea how to slip apologies in there.

19+/25 hopefully if they can stomach my weird ass faeries

Last edited:

bookwormtiff

HSC
Did Romanticism here; I wasn't quite sure how to answer the question so I'm afraid it was quite generalized (& wow you guys wrote so much, I only managed six pages for each HOW DO U DO IT). Also the creative fit the prompt rather well yee.

That said, I'm happy to have been able to finish the essay! Usually I never do so ; u ; LEVEL UP

duckie06

HSC
Essay question was lovely. (romanticism also)
only crappy thing was couldnt fully finish essay in time, only had 4 sentences for conclusion

scrapped my creative idea a page and a half in.

still re-wrote it in time.

great way to end the hsc :drink:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)